/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can’t stop listening to music

Allah’sServant
07-25-2019, 07:51 PM
Salam Brothers & Sisters,

I used to commit many sins in the past, but when I wanted to give it up I would think to myself “This is going to be hard, but I can do it”. Usually it would take me a few days and I would struggle but eventually I would manage to give it up. This isn’t the case with music. A few months ago I realised it was a sin so I made duaa’ to Allah to help me give it up. But the problem got worse and now I’m addicted. I can’t go a day without listening to music. It feels impossible to give it up. I’m listening to it 24/7 and everyday there’s this new exciting track. I’ve tried to replace it with Qur’an but it isn’t working. Music is like an escape for me, it brings me comfort & happiness and makes me feel alive. So because of this, it’s so hard for me to stop listening to it. And it has become a norm, everywhere I go there’s music playing. I’ve been listening to it since I was a kid. I feel like it’s taking over my soul and covering my heart from the noor of Islam yet I still can’t help but listen to it. I’m desperate & hopeless. I know tomorrow I’m going to return to it anyways but I’m still going to ask - how can I stop this? Wallahi it’s ruining my iman & I know I have to do something about it but it feels impossible. Any advice would be appreciated.
Jazakumallah Khayr.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Studentofdeed
07-25-2019, 09:12 PM
This is what I did...I just deleted all of it from my phone. Music I realized would distract me and I substituted with podbean. It is an app where you can listen to recordings. On it you can find all islamic scholars and kutbas. It's how I gained lots of Islamic knowledge. Use that and rather than hearing the same beat and words of no significance, you will learn and gain knowledge. Just delete all of your music from your phone so you are now forced to not listen to it. If its available and accessible then its hard. Inshallah you will be able to quit
May allah make it easy for you

keiv
07-25-2019, 11:49 PM
I used to listen to it a lot when I was younger and even walked around with a walkman as a kid. Music does have a tendency to influence people in certain ways as well as play with the emotions. Music, regardless of which genre it is, is just a lot of background noise that occupies the mind. Even when you're not listening to music, it leaves a lasting effect on you where you can't get the song out of your head. Lots of songs just continually repeat the same thing and for the songs where you can't even understand what they're saying, you just listen to it for the beat. For me personally, I eventually got tired of listening to it while driving and then eventually stopped listening to it altogether. If I was driving, having a quiet ride was actually more comforting and relaxing. Even when it came to talk radio, that became redundant and now anytime I turn the radio on, it's just to listen to the news / the NPR station. I don't know what setting you're in when listening to music but, if you are driving, I suggest loading up some lectures by someone you enjoy listening to or just turning the radio off completely. Also try to limit what you surround yourself with as well (ie. watching a lot of TV, social media, trying to keep up with trends, etc.).

Quitting a sin you enjoy doing is hard. Simply quitting alone may work, but try to convince yourself as to why you're quitting. Also try to take it in stages.

Ahmed.
07-26-2019, 12:56 PM
So it's because it gives you a feel good uplifting feeling you listen to music every day?

In that case you need to find other things to do to make you feel good, things like sports, bike riding or walking in park, or even practicing dawah on here! :).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Studentofdeed
07-26-2019, 12:59 PM
Honestly listen to Omar Hisham Al Arabi...his recistaiton is so beautiful it's better than music. It should help with transition. Please check it out.

Physicist
07-27-2019, 03:14 PM
If it's 24/7 all life, then problem is deeper than just a habbit.
In this case, perhaps, music became a formatting environment, like microprocessor's synchronization tacts.
If you are really unable to live without music, then you have to learn how to.
Make target-oriented periods without music at all. Cook a dinner without music, commute to work without music, fullfill a task without music.
Spend a night without music, whether you are able to sleep or not, just have it quiet, with earplugs if there is noisy neighbourhood.

eesa the kiwi
07-28-2019, 09:27 AM

I highly recommend watching this lecture about music if you want to quit

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.