/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Masah over waterproof socks with elastic sewn in

SEB
07-26-2019, 09:34 PM
As-Salamu Alaikum.

I am aware that the Ulama have said that socks from SealSkinz and Dexshell (see https://islamqa.org/hanafi/askimam/84800) are permissible for doing masah over for wudu as they meet the 5 conditions of:

1. They should cover both the ankles entirely.2. They should be durable enough that a person can walk with the sock for three miles without them tearing.

3. Both socks should be independently free from holes to the extent of three small toes.

4. The socks should remain on the leg without being tied or fastened.

5. They should be such that water does not seep through them.

However, I have found out that these socks have elastic sewn into them which casts doubt on whether the 4th condition above is met. I contacted Dexshell about this as their socks have 2% elastane in them. I asked if the elastane is there to keep the socks upright and whether its absence would mean that the socks would not remain on the leg. Their reply was:

-----
The sock has been designed with elastane stitched into the actual membrane alongside the textile on the item. So any sort of removal would damage the Porelle membrane, leaving the product penetrable to water.
It is there to further the protection from water entering the sock and to hold the sock in place.

It would be difficult to remove the individual elastane yarns from the garment, but if you were to remove them the porelle membrane is quite snug fit, and would hold itself up to a degree on the ankle.
-----

As the reply says that although part of the reason there is elastane sewn in is to hold the sock in place, it is also to help make it waterproof and removing the elastane would still mean that the sock stays upright. Based on this, can it be assumed that the 5th condition for doing masah over these socks has been met?

Would really appreciate replies to this as I have been wearing leather socks for many years but would really like an alternative. Please do not reply and say masah can be done over any socks. I understand and respect this opinion but based on the hadeeth I have read on this issue, the evidence is weak so I am uncomfortable doing masah over any type of socks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AabiruSabeel
07-26-2019, 09:48 PM
:wasalam:

Based on what they have written to you, it seems the socks meet all the criteria. Elastane is part the material and you are not fastening the socks externally.

It is still better if you show them to an 'Alim and take his opinion on it.

SEB
07-28-2019, 04:29 AM
Thank you for your reply. Problem is that I do not have easy access to a Alim so don’t know who to ask

Ahmed.
07-28-2019, 01:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SEB
Thank you for your reply. Problem is that I do not have easy access to a Alim so don’t know who to ask
I think without elastic sewn in, any leather socks wouldn't be skin tight so the elastic is a necessary component of those socks. If I was you I wouldn't worry about it As the fatwa talks about externally tying the socks

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
SEB
07-29-2019, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed.
I think without elastic sewn in, any leather socks wouldn't be skin tight so the elastic is a necessary component of those socks. If I was you I wouldn't worry about it As the fatwa talks about externally tying the socks
Reason why I have doubts is because a lot of times I have seen this fatwa, it specifically says that elastic sewn into the socks will be regarded as being tied. For example, see https://islamqa.org/hanafi/daruliftaa-birmingham/20364

Would masah khuffain break if water seeps into the khuff? | IslamQA
Would masah khuffain break if water seeps into the khuff?...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.