/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Bidah in Salah

Sister_44546
07-29-2019, 01:45 PM
During Salah, I usually like to recite more than one surah after Al Fatiha. It helps me practice and make sure I dont forget. I also like my own combinations because I have some surahs I really like to recite together because of the meaning. I have heard from someone that reciting more than 1 surah is bidah! Is this true? Do any of you have any evidence of Muhammad sallallahu alayi wa sallam or the companions recitingn more than one surah in a rakat? I would like to do this but if it is bidah, I shall stay away.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ümit
07-29-2019, 02:01 PM
it is commonly done by imams during ramadan in order to recite the quraan in one month during prayer.
so it should be OK

Ahmed.
07-29-2019, 02:02 PM
AFAIK reading more than 1 surah in a rakaah is fine, but if you're leading jamaah then you should make consideration for others and not prolong your salah

Ask the person who said it is bidah to provide you proof that it is bidah.

And in fard prayers the sunnah order of surahs is that they should descend in the first two rakaahs, so let's say you read surah ikhlas in first, so in second it should be falaq or naas. However if you do not read it in this descending order then as long as you havnt intended to go against sunnah, salah will still be valid

'Abdullah
07-29-2019, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Janah12
During Salah, I usually like to recite more than one surah after Al Fatiha. It helps me practice and make sure I dont forget. I also like my own combinations because I have some surahs I really like to recite together because of the meaning. I have heard from someone that reciting more than 1 surah is bidah! Is this true? Do any of you have any evidence of Muhammad sallallahu alayi wa sallam or the companions recitingn more than one surah in a rakat? I would like to do this but if it is bidah, I shall stay away.
:sl:

It is not bidah. It was a common practice of Prophet Muhammad PBUH to recite more than one surah in night prayers. It is also a common practice to recite more than one surah in each rakah during taraweeh prayers. Now if you are leading prayers then you need to take into account old people, women with kids and sick people. During normal prayers, Imam normally don't read more than two surahs in each rakah but on personal level you can do whatever you can. I hope this was helpful.

Just noticed you are a female, so leading prayer is out of question.

Allah knows the best.

:wa:

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed.
And in fard prayers the sunnah order of surahs is that they should descend in the first two rakaahs, so let's say you read surah ikhlas in first, so in second it should be falaq or naas. However if you do not read it in this descending order then as long as you havnt intended to go against sunnah, salah will still be valid

Is their any hadith supporting this view?
On the contrary, read hadith 772 in Muslim ( Quoted below) which shows Prophet Muhammad PBUH did read Surah Al-Baqarah, then Al-Nisa, then Aal Imran which are not in order.

Hudhayfah said: I prayed with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) one night, and he started to recite al-Baqarah. I thought, he will do rukoo when he reaches one hundred aayaat, but he kept going. I thought, he will complete it in one rakah, but he kept going. I thought, he will do rukoo now, but he started to recite al-Nisaa, and he recited all of it, then he started to recite Aal Imraan and recited all of it
(Narrated by Muslim, 772)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Saira Khan
07-29-2019, 08:05 PM
السلام علیکم ورحمتہ اللہ وبرکاتہ

Dear sister,
You can carry on with that and there is no such thing like bida'ah in that. You have read a hadith above by @HabibUrrehman and also I am writing another one for the reference below.

It was reported from Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) that a man from among the Ansaar used to lead them in prayer in the mosque of Qubaa. Every time he led them in prayer, he would start his recitation with Qul huwa Allaahu ahad, then when he finished it, he would recite another soorah. He did that in every rakah. His companions spoke with him and said, You always start with this soorah, then you do not think it is enough and you recite another. Either you should recite this soorah alone, or you should leave it and recite another. He said, I am not going to stop reciting it. If you like, I will lead you in prayer as I have been doing, and if you do not like it, I will leave you. They felt that he was one of the best of them, and they did not want anyone else to lead them in prayer. When the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) came to them, they told him about this. He said, O So and so, what is stopping you from doing what your companions tell you? What makes you keep on reciting this soorah in every rakah? He said, I love it. He said, Your love for it will grant you admittance to Paradise.
(Narrated by al-Bukhaari muallaqan, and by al-Tirmidhi with an isnaad similar to that of al-Bukhaari, 2901).

Stay blessed.

Ahmed.
07-29-2019, 10:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HabibUrrehman

It is not bidah. It was a common practice of Prophet Muhammad PBUH to recite more than one surah in night prayers. It is also a common practice to recite more than one surah in each rakah during taraweeh prayers. Now if you are leading prayers then you need to take into account old people, women with kids and sick people. During normal prayers, Imam normally don't read more than two surahs in each rakah but on personal level you can do whatever you can. I hope this was helpful.

Just noticed you are a female, so leading prayer is out of question.

Allah knows the best.

- - - Updated - - -

Is their any hadith supporting this view?
On the contrary, read hadith 772 in Muslim ( Quoted below) which shows Prophet Muhammad PBUH did read Surah Al-Baqarah, then Al-Nisa, then Aal Imran which are not in order.
walaikum assalam rahmatullahi barakatuh

I've read it in a fatwa and the evidence they've given is:

Sayyiduna Abdullah ibn Mas’ud (Allah be pleased with him) said: “Whoever recites the Qur’an in a reversed order will himself be treated that way…” (Maraqi al-Falah, P: 352)

Imam Ibn Abidin (Allah have mercy on him) states after discussing the above:

“This is supported by the fact that they (the fuqaha) have said reciting the Qur’anic Surahs in order is Wajib. However if one recites them in a reversed order, one is sinful,

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/daruliftaa/7908

'Abdullah
07-29-2019, 10:49 PM
walaikum assalam rahmatullahi barakatuh

I've read it in a fatwa and the evidence they've given is:

Sayyiduna Abdullah ibn Mas’ud (Allah be pleased with him) said: “Whoever recites the Qur’an in a reversed order will himself be treated that way…” (Maraqi al-Falah, P: 352)

Imam Ibn Abidin (Allah have mercy on him) states after discussing the above:

“This is supported by the fact that they (the fuqaha) have said reciting the Qur’anic Surahs in order is Wajib. However if one recites them in a reversed order, one is sinful,

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/daruliftaa/7908

I have read this fatwa but again it has interpretations from Hanafi scholars with no reference from Quran and Hadith. I have given references from Sahih Hadith which shows prophet Muhammad PBUH have read Surah regardless of any order. It also make sense knowing that Quran is not written in chronological order.

When reading a Surah, however, we have to read it’s ayats in descending order. We can’t read last 10 verses first and then read the first 10 verses.

I try to read in descending order just to be on safe side but since we don’t have any reference from Hadith which specifically says to read Quran in particular order or which says reading Quran is ascending order is sin, I don’t think we should call that a sin. This is my personal opinion and many scholars hold the same view.

Below is more detailed answer on this topic.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/7198...ifferent-order

Allah knows the best.

Sister_44546
07-29-2019, 10:54 PM
Isn’t it just sunnah to recite in order? What about the man who would recite Qul hu allahu ahed (ikhlas) and another surah in 1 rakat(as mentioned above).

Lets say I do in in the correct order, can I skip through? For example
I recite al kafiroon, then I decide to recite an nas. I’m not reversing. But it doesn’t have to be al kafiroon then the NEXT one? Right?

Saira Khan
07-29-2019, 11:05 PM
I recite al kafiroon, then I decide to recite an nas. I’m not reversing. But it doesn’t have to be al kafiroon then the NEXT one? Right?
Yes you can. You can recite some Ayahs from Surah Yaseen (At least 3 ayahs) in first rakat and then some ayahs from surah Muzammil, for example, in the 2nd rakat. Or you can recite ayahs from surah Baqara in first rakat and surah Al-nas in the 2nd rakat. Hope you understand this.
Stay blessed.

Ahmed.
07-29-2019, 11:21 PM
Isn’t it just sunnah to recite in order? What about the man who would recite Qul hu allahu ahed (ikhlas) and another surah in 1 rakat(as mentioned above).

Do you follow Hanafi madhab?, if so then it's best to just stick to above fatwa advice

If not then there might be a difference of opinion on it:

The absolutely majority of the scholars and jurists in Islam are unanimous in their opinion that although it is preferred and closest to the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah (saws) to recite the Surahs in the descending order of compilation, but if one does, for any reason, chose to recite the Surahs in the ascending order in their prayers, it would not effect the validity of their prayer in the least. And Allah Alone Knows Best.

http://islamhelpline.net/answer/8829...rder-in-prayer

You can skip some surahs as long as it descends, but the second rakaah surah should not be more than 2 ayahs longer than the one you read in 1st.

- - - Updated - - -

I have read this fatwa but again it has interpretations from Hanafi scholars with no reference from Quran and Hadith. I have given references from Sahih Hadith which shows prophet Muhammad PBUH have read Surah regardless of any order. It also make sense knowing that Quran is not written in chronological order.

When reading a Surah, however, we have to read it’s ayats in descending order. We can’t read last 10 verses first and then read the first 10 verses.

I try to read in descending order just to be on safe side but since we don’t have any reference from Hadith which specifically says to read Quran in particular order or which says reading Quran is ascending order is sin, I don’t think we should call that a sin. This is my personal opinion and many scholars hold the same view.

Below is more detailed answer on this topic.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/7198...ifferent-order

Allah knows the best.

It had that hadith from ibn masud (ra).

when it comes to deriving rulings from hadiths, it's best to just leave it to the fuqaha as they have all the prerequisite knowledge to put it all into context.

The necessity of order of surah the Hanafi fuqaha are saying is only in fard and wajib salahs so hadiths that say Prophet (saw) read in the ascending order could be for sunnah or nafl salah.

'Abdullah
07-30-2019, 02:41 PM
Do you follow Hanafi madhab?, if so then it's best to just stick to above fatwa advice

If not then there might be a difference of opinion on it:

The absolutely majority of the scholars and jurists in Islam are unanimous in their opinion that although it is preferred and closest to the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah (saws) to recite the Surahs in the descending order of compilation, but if one does, for any reason, chose to recite the Surahs in the ascending order in their prayers, it would not effect the validity of their prayer in the least. And Allah Alone Knows Best.

http://islamhelpline.net/answer/8829...rder-in-prayer

You can skip some surahs as long as it descends, but the second rakaah surah should not be more than 2 ayahs longer than the one you read in 1st.

- - - Updated - - -

It had that hadith from ibn masud (ra).

when it comes to deriving rulings from hadiths, it's best to just leave it to the fuqaha as they have all the prerequisite knowledge to put it all into context.

The necessity of order of surah the Hanafi fuqaha are saying is only in fard and wajib salahs so hadiths that say Prophet (saw) read in the ascending order could be for sunnah or nafl salah.

I think we answered the main question asked by the sister. Regarding which Madhab one should follow is a totally different and more complicated topic. I personally prefer to follow Quran and Sahih hadith after consulting few scholars. May Allah help us follow true teachings of Quran and Hadith. Ameen!

Ahmed.
07-30-2019, 03:18 PM

I think we answered the main question asked by the sister. Regarding which Madhab one should follow is a totally different and more complicated topic. I personally prefer to follow Quran and Sahih hadith after consulting few scholars. May Allah help us follow true teachings of Quran and Hadith. Ameen!

Yeah that's another topic of which madhab to follow, it's been discussed recently, here's the thread:

Four madhabs

فصيح الياسين
07-30-2019, 06:46 PM
Assalamoaliakum
if you are man then how much you like in descending order how quran is.

If you are a girl and married then one. Suurah and short one. If not then still one and short

Sister_44546
07-30-2019, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by فصيح الياسين
Assalamoaliakum

If you are a girl and married then one. Suurah and short one. If not then still one and short

I haven’t heard of this. I don’t think it makes sense. Do you have any evidence of this claim about ladies reciting short surahs?

- - - Updated - - -

Ameen. I agree with this too

eesa the kiwi
07-31-2019, 12:15 AM
Assalamoaliakum

Daleel please for the surah limit for women

Sounds like someone just made that up

فصيح الياسين
07-31-2019, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by eesa the kiwi
Daleel please for the surah limit for women

Sounds like someone just made that up
Nowdays people asks daleel a lot. Its in mishkat kitab un nikah and bab ul i'shrah you will get there in fasl e sani ir salis.
I am not quoting hadith because its night time so thats why addressed you the path

eesa the kiwi
08-01-2019, 07:06 AM
Nowdays people asks daleel a lot. Its in mishkat kitab un nikah and bab ul i'shrah you will get there in fasl e sani ir salis.
I am not quoting hadith because its night time so thats why addressed you the path
Nowadays people complain about being asked for daleel when they make dodgy statements

You link me to a book in an another language and expect me to just take your word for it

Dont insult our intelligence. Bring the hadith

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't me asking for a daleel on a commonly known masala so dont complain. If your position is legitimate you should have no issue providing the evidence

فصيح الياسين
08-01-2019, 08:29 AM
Nowadays people complain about being asked for daleel when they make dodgy statements

You link me to a book in an another language and expect me to just take your word for it

Dont insult our intelligence. Bring the hadith

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't me asking for a daleel on a commonly known masala so dont complain. If your position is legitimate you should have no issue providing the evidence
Huft. Have good words rather than saying doggy statement because sometime person quote hadith or quran without mentioning and thus will be very bad.
While i did not quoted the hadees but its address due to my sleep time
So i hoped you guys are proof seeker so might get from it how others do. But shame it benefitted to none of us

Hadees is of safwan ibn muatal when her wife said to prophet that he breaks my prayers and not let me to complete it.
So our prophet asked from him the reason

He answered she recite long long surahs and sometime i need her for help or housework but she is in prayer so i force her to break the prayer. Thus prophet said her to read one surah lil one that is enough for you....

eesa the kiwi
08-01-2019, 08:50 AM
Huft. Have good words rather than saying doggy statement because sometime person quote hadith or quran without mentioning and thus will be very bad.
While i did not quoted the hadees but its address due to my sleep time
So i hoped you guys are proof seeker so might get from it how others do. But shame it benefitted to none of us

Hadees is of safwan ibn muatal when her wife said to prophet that he breaks my prayers and not let me to complete it.
So our prophet asked from him the reason

He answered she recite long long surahs and sometime i need her for help or housework but she is in prayer so i force her to break the prayer. Thus prophet said her to read one surah lil one that is enough for you....
Thank you brother and I apologize for my manners please forgive me. I'm really tired these days I haven't been sleeping well but that's no excuse.

I dont think this is an evidence a woman should always read short surah perhaps she is in a situation where she can read longer but I'll leave such matters to the ulema

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly expected some weird Sufi narration with no basis whatsoever. Shows my own ignorance really

Sorry again

فصيح الياسين
08-01-2019, 01:46 PM
Thank you brother and I apologize for my manners please forgive me. I'm really tired these days I haven't been sleeping well but that's no excuse.

I dont think this is an evidence a woman should always read short surah perhaps she is in a situation where she can read longer but I'll leave such matters to the ulema

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly expected some weird Sufi narration with no basis whatsoever. Shows my own ignorance really

Sorry again
Mashallah you are a true muslim. Its ok brother.

Ahmed.
08-01-2019, 01:52 PM
Yup I agree there! It takes a humble man to admit fault and apologise :)

eesa the kiwi
08-01-2019, 04:46 PM
Thanks brother that means a lot may Allah bless you

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.