/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it haram to make dua for a dead person

Rayan77
07-29-2019, 03:24 PM
As a Muslim revert I was reading a guide about making dua. I always thought I was permissible to make dua for a dead Muslim (ie asking Allah to forgive them, have mercy on them etc) however the website warns that such behavior is shirk as quoted

“It is absolutely prohibited to seek the intercession of the dead. This is a major act of shirk and makes one a disbeliever. You can only request things from the living and what is within their means (e.g. you cannot ask someone to grant you Paradise).”

Can someone please clarify what this means as I always believed it was permissible (and encouraged) to make dua for those who have passed away.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abdullah
07-29-2019, 03:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rayan77
As a Muslim revert I was reading a guide about making dua. I always thought I was permissible to make dua for a dead Muslim (ie asking Allah to forgive them, have mercy on them etc) however the website warns that such behavior is shirk as quoted

“It is absolutely prohibited to seek the intercession of the dead. This is a major act of shirk and makes one a disbeliever. You can only request things from the living and what is within their means (e.g. you cannot ask someone to grant you Paradise).”

Can someone please clarify what this means as I always believed it was permissible (and encouraged) to make dua for those who have passed away.
It is permissible to make dua for dead. Janaza prayer (funeral prayer) is a good example. Many prayers in regular prayers are about asking Allah to forgive the righteous people ( this includes those who are dead), including prayers for our dead parents, off springs etc.

Now I think you got this confused with asking from pious people instead of asked Allah directly. If someone prays to Prophet Muhammad PBUH and ask him to save him/her from hell fire then that's shirk. We only ask from Allah and not from anyone else.

Ahmed.
07-29-2019, 03:43 PM
:sl:

No it's not haram to make dua for a dead Muslim, infact we basically have to make dua for their forgiveness as that is our mission in life; to save ourselves and to save others from hell, so to pray for forgiveness for our dead becomes essential.

That site is talking about praying to the dead to forgive you and not about praying to Allah for their forgiveness.

Saira Khan
07-29-2019, 08:23 PM

السلام علیکم ورحمتہ اللہ

It is not haraam to make dua "FOR" the deceased persons rather we are ordered in Quran and Ahadiths to make dua for them. But yes it is haraam to make dua "FROM" deceased persons. Meaning that you cannot and should not ask someone dead, to grant you something which is obviously shirk. If it is still not clear or you have any confusion in that, we are here to help you make understand it, so please don't hesitate to write back.
Stay blessed.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Iceee
07-29-2019, 11:56 PM
Salaam Brother Rayan77

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allah have mercy on him) was asked: I see some people standing at the grave after burial of the deceased and offering du‘aa’ for him. Is this permissible? And is there a prescribed du‘aa’ to be said after completion of the burial? Is the du‘aa’ to be offered in congregation, such as if one person says du‘aa’ and the others say Ameen to his du‘aa’? Or should each person offer du‘aa’ on his own? Please advise us, may Allah reward you with good.

Answer: The Sunnah that is proven from the Messenger (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) indicates that it is prescribed to offer du‘aa’ for the deceased after burial. When the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) had finished burying a deceased person, he would stand over him and say: “Pray for forgiveness for your brother, and ask that he be made steadfast, for he is being questioned now.” There is nothing wrong with one person saying du‘aa’ and the others saying Ameen, or each person offering du‘aa’ by himself for the deceased. And Allah is the source of strength.
End quote from Fataawa ash-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 13/204

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allah have mercy on him) was also asked:

What is the ruling on offering congregational du‘aa’ at graves?

He replied: There is nothing wrong with it. If one person says du‘aa’ and the others say Ameen, there is nothing wrong with that, so long as it is not done deliberately and it just so happens that they hear one of them saying du‘aa’ and the others say Ameen. In such cases it is not called “congregational” because it is not done deliberately.
End quote from Fataawa ash-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 13/340

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1747...iting-the-duaa

Ümit
07-30-2019, 07:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iceee

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allah have mercy on him) was also asked:

What is the ruling on offering congregational du‘aa’ at graves?

He replied: There is nothing wrong with it. If one person says du‘aa’ and the others say Ameen, there is nothing wrong with that, so long as it is not done deliberately and it just so happens that they hear one of them saying du‘aa’ and the others say Ameen. In such cases it is not called “congregational” because it is not done deliberately.
End quote from Fataawa ash-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 13/340

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1747...iting-the-duaa
Wait...now I do not understand anymore...it was pretty obvious to me untill this part.

So congregational dua as in "making dua together" is OK as long as it is don undeliberately?

This means you can't make dua in a group of people out loud for a deceased one and the rest of the group say ameen?

Aren't we doing this all the time?

Please advise

Mandy
07-30-2019, 10:28 AM
Like umit, I am also confused by the last part.
I imagine it is the meaining of "congregational du‘aa’". Does it simply mean praying in a group or does it have another meaning we are not aware of?

'Abdullah
07-30-2019, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ümit
Wait...now I do not understand anymore...it was pretty obvious to me untill this part.

So congregational dua as in "making dua together" is OK as long as it is don undeliberately?

This means you can't make dua in a group of people out loud for a deceased one and the rest of the group say ameen?

Aren't we doing this all the time?

Please advise
:sl:

Open the link provided by @Iceee and read it. I am copy/pasting a portion which addresses this confusion:

Congregational du‘aa’after the burial:

If it happens occasionally and does not become a regularpractice, or if one of them offers du‘aa’ and theothers say Ameen, is regarded as permissible by someof the scholars.
But if they always do it this way everytime there is a funeral or they visit the deceased, or they single out aspecific time to gather, or they recite du‘aa’ in unison,then this is a kind of bid‘ah and innovation.

Source:
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/174715/ruling-on-congregational-duaa-for-the-deceased-and-paying-the-imam-for-reciting-the-duaa
In summary, the congregation prayer for deceased is permissible only if it is done occasionally/unintentionally. But if it becomes a standard practice, then it would be considered as Bidah, and Allah knows the best.

:wa:

Ahmed.
07-30-2019, 11:05 PM
The best gift that a living Muslim can give to a deceased one, is sincere dua’s for forgiveness of sins and admission into Paradise

Rayan77
07-31-2019, 11:16 AM
Thank you for your response. I am also wondering what is the ruling on making dua for the deceased for example after praying salat not congregation prayer.

Saira Khan
07-31-2019, 06:33 PM
Thank you for your response. I am also wondering what is the ruling on making dua for the deceased for example after praying salat not congregation prayer.
رَبَّنَا اغْفِرْ لِي وَلِوَالِدَيَّ وَلِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ يَوْمَ يَقُومُ الْحِسَابُ

"O our Lord! cover (us) with Thy Forgiveness - me, my parents, and (all) Believers, on the Day that the Reckoning will be established!
(Surah Ibrahim: Ayah 41)

Ahmed.
07-31-2019, 06:39 PM
You can make dua any time but best is after each fard salah; that is when dua is most likely to be accepted

Also about 15 mins before and upto magrib is a time when dua is reccomended

Just sit down facing kaaba cross legged or in the atahiyat position, put both hands upto Allah and make dua. It is also a sunnah to start with a durood (salutations on Prophet (saw) and finish with a durood

Nitro Zeus
08-01-2019, 06:11 AM

It is shirk if you pray to that dead person, but if you pray for his forgiveness, then this is not shirk.

Also, there is a limit on seeking forgiveness from God for a dead person. For example, if someone died as a disbeliever, then no doubt is haram to pray for his forgiveness, but if he died as a Muslim, then there is no problem to pray for his forgiveness.

In case you dont know the meaning of shirk, shirk is when you ascociate something or someone with God.

I hope I have clarified everything for you

Mandy
08-01-2019, 09:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HabibUrrehman
In summary, the congregation prayer for deceased is permissible only if it is done occasionally/unintentionally. But if it becomes a standard practice, then it would be considered as Bidah, and Allah knows the best.
I understand. It is to organize such a way of doing things on a regular basis. Thank yo for clarifying brother.

Ahmed.
08-01-2019, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nitro Zeus
It is shirk if you pray to that dead person, but if you pray for his forgiveness, then this is not shirk.

Also, there is a limit on seeking forgiveness from God for a dead person. For example, if someone died as a disbeliever, then no doubt is haram to pray for his forgiveness, but if he died as a Muslim, then there is no problem to pray for his forgiveness.

In case you dont know the meaning of shirk, shirk is when you ascociate something or someone with God.

I hope I have clarified everything for you
Well done br, if you keep up dawah like this you'll be 'healed' in no time :)

A healthy Allah submissive mind keeps the demons away :Emoji51:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.