/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What to call a new convert who has not yet habituated the rituals of Islam?

NeuroHuman
12-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Good day, brothers and sisters,

I am a recent convert to Islam ; my faith in Allah is devout and I took shahaadah a bit more than a month ago. However, though I am certain in our faith's theology, I have yet read little of the Qur'an and have been sporadic in both salah and attendance at jumu'ah.

As a result, I am not comfortable defining myself as Muslim when I currently do not fulfill its obligations. Yet I study and pray at times, convinced in the wisdom and peace our Lord Sovereign God grants. My desire to submit is real, but I need form the habits of Islam's basics before I can claim I have.

So, dear companions in faith, what would you call me? My converting status will be brief--I expect to finish the Qur'an later this year--and learning Islam is easy at my local Masjid, Yet so many obstacles I cannot even express inhibit me. Do you know a word for a habituating believer?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abdullah
12-08-2019, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by NeuroHuman
Good day, brothers and sisters,

I am a recent convert to Islam ; my faith in Allah is devout and I took shahaadah a bit more than a month ago. However, though I am certain in our faith's theology, I have yet read little of the Qur'an and have been sporadic in both salah and attendance at jumu'ah.

As a result, I am not comfortable defining myself as Muslim when I currently do not fulfill its obligations. Yet I study and pray at times, convinced in the wisdom and peace our Lord Sovereign God grants. My desire to submit is real, but I need form the habits of Islam's basics before I can claim I have.

So, dear companions in faith, what would you call me? My converting status will be brief--I expect to finish the Qur'an later this year--and learning Islam is easy at my local Masjid, Yet so many obstacles I cannot even express inhibit me. Do you know a word for a habituating believer?
Congratulations for taking your shahada, that’s the first big step you have taken with the help of Allah. It is normal to have a kind of start you mentioned for new converts. Remember it is a huge change for someone who is embracing Islam from a different ideology and cultural beliefs. Hood thing is that Islam is religion which Allah chose for us and is closer to human nature. If you read the history of Islam, in first 12 years none of the act of worship for made obligatory for Muslims. Prayer was the first thing to be made obligatory but it was after 12 years. After few years then fasting was made obligatory and then zakah and then hajj. Similarly when we read Quran, we know that drinking was prohibited for Muslims in stages. They were first allowed to drink anytime but not during prayer times, then drinking was made prohibited al together.
the point I want to make is that enter in your religion slowly. Take one thing at a time and stick to that, while adding slowly more to it. For example, you can start prayer Fajr, isha every day. Make it a habit and you will see that once you make it your habit, you will want to pray other three prayers as well. On the other hand, if you start practicing everything what Islam tells us to do then it may be too much for you and you may end up thinking that Islam is very hard and may leave the religion all together.

Take example of joint a gym. Would you start lifting 200 lbs from day one? If you do that, I am sure that would be your first and last day at gym. On the other hand, if you start lifting smaller weights and slowly build your stamina to lift the heavy weights. This will allow you to build a good habit which will last for longer.

Similarly start reading just one verse of Quran and one Hadith on daily basis. Remember Allah loves what is done on a consistent basis even if it is small.

Hope you find these tips helpful. Don’t give up. Allah has guided you to Islam and if you remain sincere He will also give you strength to be a good practicing Muslim inshallah.

Ma’a Salama

Ahmed.
12-08-2019, 10:00 PM
:wa:

Call yourself a Muslim because we mean by 'Muslim' that we believe in Islam so when you call yourself a Muslim, you always affirm your faith, no matter how little you may practice

And Habib is right, take baby steps if you feel you must, however taking 12 years to get to the full practice is totally unacceptable. Aim to get there in a few months.

'Abdullah
12-08-2019, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmed.

Call yourself a Muslim because we mean by 'Muslim' that we believe in Islam so when you call yourself a Muslim, you always affirm your faith, no matter how little you may practice

And Habib is right, take baby steps if you feel you must, however taking 12 years to get to the full practice is totally unacceptable. Aim to get there in a few months.
No one is advising to take 12 years. The point was that it takes time to adopt new religion and culture. And that time depends on so many factors including your dedication and seriousness to learn about Islam. Many born Muslims spend their entire life and when you talk to them, you will be surprised to know how little they know about Islam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ümit
12-09-2019, 07:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by NeuroHuman
I would call you Muslim, because that is what you are. no other names are needed here.

Ahmed.
12-09-2019, 10:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HabibUrrehman
No one is advising to take 12 years. The point was that it takes time to adopt new religion and culture. And that time depends on so many factors including your dedication and seriousness to learn about Islam. Many born Muslims spend their entire life and when you talk to them, you will be surprised to know how little they know about Islam.
Yeah I know you weren't advising that but I thought there was a potentiality for OP to misconstrue that so I just clarified

'Abdullah
12-09-2019, 06:59 PM
Yeah I know you weren't advising that but I thought there was a potentiality for OP to misconstrue that so I just clarified
Jazak Allah Khair

NeuroHuman
12-16-2019, 05:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HabibUrrehman
Congratulations for taking your shahada, that’s the first big step you have taken with the help of Allah. It is normal to have a kind of start you mentioned for new converts. Remember it is a huge change for someone who is embracing Islam from a different ideology and cultural beliefs. Hood thing is that Islam is religion which Allah chose for us and is closer to human nature. If you read the history of Islam, in first 12 years none of the act of worship for made obligatory for Muslims. Prayer was the first thing to be made obligatory but it was after 12 years. After few years then fasting was made obligatory and then zakah and then hajj. Similarly when we read Quran, we know that drinking was prohibited for Muslims in stages. They were first allowed to drink anytime but not during prayer times, then drinking was made prohibited al together.
the point I want to make is that enter in your religion slowly. Take one thing at a time and stick to that, while adding slowly more to it. For example, you can start prayer Fajr, isha every day. Make it a habit and you will see that once you make it your habit, you will want to pray other three prayers as well. On the other hand, if you start practicing everything what Islam tells us to do then it may be too much for you and you may end up thinking that Islam is very hard and may leave the religion all together.

Take example of joint a gym. Would you start lifting 200 lbs from day one? If you do that, I am sure that would be your first and last day at gym. On the other hand, if you start lifting smaller weights and slowly build your stamina to lift the heavy weights. This will allow you to build a good habit which will last for longer.

Similarly start reading just one verse of Quran and one Hadith on daily basis. Remember Allah loves what is done on a consistent basis even if it is small.

Hope you find these tips helpful. Don’t give up. Allah has guided you to Islam and if you remain sincere He will also give you strength to be a good practicing Muslim inshallah.

Ma’a Salama

format_quote Originally Posted by Ümit
I would call you Muslim, because that is what you are. no other names are needed here.

Thank you all very much for your advice. I feel strength to connect today, and by God's will I pray it heralds good weeks ahead!

بارك الله بكم جميعا

Eric H
12-16-2019, 10:34 PM
Greetings and peace be with you NeuroHuman; welcome to the forum;

what would you call me?
I would say you are on a journey, there will never be a time in your life when you can sit back and say, I know it all; and I am the best Muslim that it is possible to be. We keep struggling and praying for hope and the support to do the will of Allah.

May Allah bless you on your journey through life;

Eric

Abu-Abdullah
12-22-2019, 01:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ümit
This

rothom58b
05-23-2020, 02:30 AM
Alhumdillah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.