/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How does Islam view photography?

Studentofdeed
12-26-2019, 08:46 AM
I deleted social media because of evil eye and do not want to look at nonmahram or them to look at me but I have photos of myself in my phone. Should I delete them or is it fine as long as I do not show it to any one? Are family photos permissible.

Also when I was feeling low self esteem, my friend took a photo of me and sent to his female friends to ask if I was good looking. Sadly I realized I made a mistake and now regret doing this. My motive was not to be promicious but to get opinion but I thought if my friend asked it would be better because I'm not the one who is asking. However someone told me that is still bad.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
taha_
12-26-2019, 09:38 AM
Assalam o Alaikum rahamutullahi wa barakuthu.

Taking piccture of animate beings is forbidden.. however according to scholars, it doesn't make it image of animate beings if some parts are removed like head or eyes.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/365/...on-photographs

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/7291...acial-features

format_quote Originally Posted by Studentofdeed
Also when I was feeling low self esteem, my friend took a photo of me and sent to his female friends to ask if I was good looking. Sadly I realized I made a mistake and now regret doing this.
That's good you regretted it. Muslim feels bad when they commit sin.

Did you intend it? or was it unintentional? Make sincree repentance and then tell your friend to remove that photo.

Allah knows best

JazakAllah khair

Ümit
12-26-2019, 01:14 PM
My motive was not to be promicious but to get opinion but I thought if my friend asked it would be better because I'm not the one who is asking. However someone told me that is still bad.
you made it worse by involving another person into your sin.

ayah 2:65-69 speaks about those who got turned into apes because they violated Allahs law.
the story is about Jews who were forbidden to work on saturday.
so what did the fishermen do...they put out their nets and other traps on friday evening...did their sabbath on saturday...and gathered their catch on sunday morning...so they did not work on saturday...their nets and traps did all the cathing on saturday.

they thought they had a good excuse...but Allah didn't let them get away with it.

your story, telling someone else to do what is forbidden to you, is a similar situation and will also not be accepted.

Studentofdeed
12-26-2019, 03:20 PM
What would you advise me to do then? And what about the photos of myself in my phone? I don't have them posted anywhere but they are just of myself and I'm not showing to any one but they are only for me

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
taha_
12-26-2019, 03:25 PM
And what about the photos of myself in my phone? I don't have them posted anywhere but they are just of myself and I'm not showing to any one but they are only for me
Assalam o Alaikum rahamutullahi wa barkauthu.

It is best that you delete these photos.

JazakAllah khair

keiv
12-26-2019, 10:08 PM
If pictures of animate objects are forbidden, then that must extend to videos as well, correct? Movies, youtube videos, family videos, etc.

format_quote Originally Posted by taha_
Assalam o Alaikum rahamutullahi wa barakuthu.

Taking piccture of animate beings is forbidden.. however according to scholars, it doesn't make it image of animate beings if some parts are removed like head or eyes.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/365/...on-photographs

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/7291...acial-features
Imagine walking into a house where all the family photos have the heads cut out of them or all the eyes have been poked out. Sounds better to just get rid of the photo all together!

What would you advise me to do then? And what about the photos of myself in my phone? I don't have them posted anywhere but they are just of myself and I'm not showing to any one but they are only for me
Just get rid of them. Why would you want to keep pictures of yourself anyways especially if you don't intend to show anyone else?

taha_
12-27-2019, 01:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by keiv
If pictures of animate objects are forbidden, then that must extend to videos as well, correct? Movies, youtube videos, family videos, etc.

Imagine walking into a house where all the family photos have the heads cut out of them or all the eyes have been poked out. Sounds better to just get rid of the photo all together!

Just get rid of them. Why would you want to keep pictures of yourself anyways especially if you don't intend to show anyone else?
Assalam o alaikum rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu brother

Exactly. It is much to better to get rid of pictures

There are so many islamic videos including lectures. I dont know about family video

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.