/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Netflix faces backlash over new ‘anti-Islamic’ show Messiah

Singularity
12-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Excerpt:

https://infosurhoy.com/top-stories/netflix-faces-backlash-over-new-anti-islamic-show-messiah/?utm_source=wnd&utm_medium=wnd&utm_campaign=syndic ated

Netflix faces backlash over new ‘anti-Islamic’ show Messiah 0
BY DENIS BEDOYA ON DECEMBER 28, 2019TOP STORIES

Netflix is facing a backlash over its controversial new show ‘Messiah’ which portrays a possible saviour as a prophet who leads 2,000 Palestinians into Israel.

More than 3,500 people have already signed a petition which condemns the series as ‘evil and anti-Islamic propaganda’.

The series, which is due for release on January 1, imagines how modern society would react if a Messiah figure appeared today, spreading his message via social media.

Creator Michael Petroni says Netflix was ‘nervous’ when he approached them, but insisted he was ‘super careful’ in portraying the story.

He said: ‘Yes it’s provocative – the show is provocative. But provocative isn’t offensive.’

Petroni insists the show ‘doesn’t set out to offend anyone.’

‘It’s not like I’m welcoming backlash,’ he added. ‘We expect that there’s going to be a lot of noise around the show, and a lot of debate. I’m hoping for debate.’

A Change.org petition has already been launched calling for a boycott of the show, describing it as ‘evil and anti-Islamic propaganda.’

It reads: ‘This topic is rather sensitive and making a production like this will only have viewers forgetting the fact that this matter is not a joke.’

The new Netflix series follows a ‘Messiah’ figure called Al Massih ad-Dajjal, played by the Belgian actor Mehdi Dehbi.

It is not clear what faith the enigmatic later subscribes to and whether he is a geniune savour or a con artist.

Referred to by some characters as ‘Al-Masih’, he plans to march 2,000 Palestinian Syrians across the border of Israel.

With his movement gathering global attention and momentum, CIA officer Eva Geller, played by American actress Michelle Monaghan, is sent to investigate.

The TV show has multiple narrators, including Officer Geller, an Israeli Shin Bet officer, a Palestinian refugee, a Latino preacher and his Texan daughter.

Muslim viewers on Twitter have slammed the show for its predictability and inauthentic representation of Islam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Altaqwa
01-02-2020, 10:16 AM
What an overreaction. The show is lame anyway, not worth even thinking about.

Scimitar
01-02-2020, 05:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Altaqwa
What an overreaction. The show is lame anyway, not worth even thinking about.
I actually found it quite interesting. Not sure what all the fuss is about though, it's clearly an ecumenical exercise in uniting the three Abrahamic faiths under one idea. How reliable the source (messianic character) is though, is what remains unanswered at the end of the series - cliffhangers eh? The inversions are clever too.

Delphi
01-04-2020, 12:19 AM
"Al Massih ad-Dajjal".. *really*? *sigh*. Netflix was really clueless on this one. Reminds me of some of those recent biblical end of the world potboilers, except it seems like they were trying to make something else.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
M.I.A.
01-04-2020, 02:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Singularity
Excerpt:

https://infosurhoy.com/top-stories/netflix-faces-backlash-over-new-anti-islamic-show-messiah/?utm_source=wnd&utm_medium=wnd&utm_campaign=syndic ated

Netflix faces backlash over new ‘anti-Islamic’ show Messiah 0
BY DENIS BEDOYA ON DECEMBER 28, 2019TOP STORIES

Netflix is facing a backlash over its controversial new show ‘Messiah’ which portrays a possible saviour as a prophet who leads 2,000 Palestinians into Israel.

More than 3,500 people have already signed a petition which condemns the series as ‘evil and anti-Islamic propaganda’.

The series, which is due for release on January 1, imagines how modern society would react if a Messiah figure appeared today, spreading his message via social media.

Creator Michael Petroni says Netflix was ‘nervous’ when he approached them, but insisted he was ‘super careful’ in portraying the story.

He said: ‘Yes it’s provocative – the show is provocative. But provocative isn’t offensive.’

Petroni insists the show ‘doesn’t set out to offend anyone.’

‘It’s not like I’m welcoming backlash,’ he added. ‘We expect that there’s going to be a lot of noise around the show, and a lot of debate. I’m hoping for debate.’

A Change.org petition has already been launched calling for a boycott of the show, describing it as ‘evil and anti-Islamic propaganda.’

It reads: ‘This topic is rather sensitive and making a production like this will only have viewers forgetting the fact that this matter is not a joke.’

The new Netflix series follows a ‘Messiah’ figure called Al Massih ad-Dajjal, played by the Belgian actor Mehdi Dehbi.

It is not clear what faith the enigmatic later subscribes to and whether he is a geniune savour or a con artist.

Referred to by some characters as ‘Al-Masih’, he plans to march 2,000 Palestinian Syrians across the border of Israel.

With his movement gathering global attention and momentum, CIA officer Eva Geller, played by American actress Michelle Monaghan, is sent to investigate.

The TV show has multiple narrators, including Officer Geller, an Israeli Shin Bet officer, a Palestinian refugee, a Latino preacher and his Texan daughter.

Muslim viewers on Twitter have slammed the show for its predictability and inauthentic representation of Islam.

...i take it non of you have watched netflix's "Preacher" yet.

although its based in the usa.

although its entirely irrelevant to the thread.

Edit..

Watched the first episode..

I like it.

From the CIA's valuing of the truth.

To the things strong men are haunted by.

I dont know how things will go but I will probably keep watching.

No spoilers plz.. it's not a nice thing to do.

I'm kidding, il probably just binge watch the thing.

I'm all for the pacifist muslim thing unfortunately..

Oh hes..an alium...

Never mind.

...so this is the way we are not to be.. I just realised what the story is based on.

Bit slow.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.