/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about listening to music

Nitro Zeus
01-14-2020, 03:04 PM
Assalamu alaikum,

I just found a report from Prophet saying something that there were girls singing a song reciting: "there was a Prophet knowing what would happen tomorrow". And the Prophet told them delete the last part and continue playing music.

So, is it true that this report suggest that listening and playing musical instruments is halal as long as it does not contain verses that leads people to do evil? And so as long as it does not contradict Sunnah and Quran?

May Allah reward you

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abdullah
01-14-2020, 10:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nitro Zeus
Assalamu alaikum,

I just found a report from Prophet saying something that there were girls singing a song reciting: "there was a Prophet knowing what would happen tomorrow". And the Prophet told them delete the last part and continue playing music.

So, is it true that this report suggest that listening and playing musical instruments is halal as long as it does not contain verses that leads people to do evil? And so as long as it does not contradict Sunnah and Quran?

May Allah reward you
Assalam O Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh Brother,
Hope you are doing well. I think the hadith you are referring to is following:
It was narrated that Abu Husain, whose name was Khalid Al-Madani, said:
“We were in Al-Madinah on the Say of 'Ashura and the girls were beating the Daff and singing. We entered upon Rubai' bint Mu'awwidh and mentioned that to her. She said: 'The Messenger of Allah entered upon me on the morning of my wedding, and there were two girls with me who were singing and mentioning the qualities of my forefathers who were killed on the Day of Badr. One of the things they were saying was: “Among us there is a Prophet who knows what will happen tomorrow.” He said: “Do not say this, for no one knows what will happen tomorrow except Allah.”
حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا يَزِيدُ بْنُ هَارُونَ، حَدَّثَنَا حَمَّادُ بْنُ سَلَمَةَ، عَنْ أَبِي الْحُسَيْنِ، - اسْمُهُ خَالِدٌ الْمَدَنِيُّ - قَالَ كُنَّا بِالْمَدِينَةِ يَوْمَ عَاشُورَاءَ وَالْجَوَارِي يَضْرِبْنَ بِالدُّفِّ وَيَتَغَنَّيْنَ فَدَخَلْنَا عَلَى الرُّبَيِّعِ بِنْتِ مُعَوِّذٍ فَذَكَرْنَا ذَلِكَ لَهَا ‏.‏ فَقَالَتْ دَخَلَ عَلَىَّ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ـ صلى الله عليه وسلم ـ صَبِيحَةَ عُرْسِي وَعِنْدِي جَارِيَتَانِ تُغَنِّيَانِ وَتَنْدُبَانِ آبَائِي الَّذِينَ قُتِلُوا يَوْمَ بَدْرٍ وَتَقُولاَنِ فِيمَا تَقُولاَنِ وَفِينَا نَبِيٌّ يَعْلَمُ مَا فِي غَدٍ ‏.‏ فَقَالَ ‏ "‏ أَمَّا هَذَا فَلاَ تَقُولُوهُ مَا يَعْلَمُ مَا فِي غَدٍ إِلاَّ اللَّهُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏
Grade: Sahih (Darussalam)
English reference: Vol. 3, Book 9, Hadith 1897
Arabic reference: Book 9, Hadith 1972
http://sunnah.com/urn/1262160

Let's break it down.
  1. No musical instrument was used other than daff. And all Islamic scholars agree that no musical instruments are allowed in Islam other than Daff.
  2. The girls were signing on the wedding, rather we should say praising their forefathers. All hadiths which I have read only mention singing on special occasions such as weddings, Eids, celebrations etc. Refer to this article for ruling on singing on special occasions I mentioned before. https://islamqa.info/en/answers/9290...t-celebrations
  3. Prophet (peace be upon him) told them to remove anything which can lead to associating anything with Allah in any form and shape.

Now seriously in today's music, we don't find any song without musical instruments. The poetry in songs is nothing but calling people to do evil things (sex, violence, drugs, adultery etc.) and is an open shirk.
I am not sure how a practicing Muslim can find music of today acceptable. There are several authentic hadiths and verses of Quran which clearly shows the music as we know today is HARAM. Instead of quoting these verses and hadiths I will post links to ruling by some well respected scholars below:
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/5000...ng-and-dancing
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/5011...al-instruments
There are lot of other opinions out on internet. Just be careful and try not to learn Islam from google or try not to search for fatwa which will satisfy your own desires. The opinion above may seem to be an extreme opinion but trust me it will protect your heart and will save you from many evils.
And Allah knows the best.

Ma'a Salama

'Abdullah
01-14-2020, 11:30 PM
There are lot of video lectures one can find on this topic but I will share one which came from a guy who used to be in music industry and then left music after accepting Islam.

Hope you find it beneficial.
Ma’a Salama

Nitro Zeus
01-15-2020, 08:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HabibUrrehman
Assalam O Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh Brother,
Hope you are doing well. I think the hadith you are referring to is following:

Grade: Sahih (Darussalam)
English reference: Vol. 3, Book 9, Hadith 1897
Arabic reference: Book 9, Hadith 1972
http://sunnah.com/urn/1262160

Let's break it down.
  1. No musical instrument was used other than daff. And all Islamic scholars agree that no musical instruments are allowed in Islam other than Daff.
  2. The girls were signing on the wedding, rather we should say praising their forefathers. All hadiths which I have read only mention singing on special occasions such as weddings, Eids, celebrations etc. Refer to this article for ruling on singing on special occasions I mentioned before. https://islamqa.info/en/answers/9290...t-celebrations
  3. Prophet (peace be upon him) told them to remove anything which can lead to associating anything with Allah in any form and shape.

Now seriously in today's music, we don't find any song without musical instruments. The poetry in songs is nothing but calling people to do evil things (sex, violence, drugs, adultery etc.) and is an open shirk.
I am not sure how a practicing Muslim can find music of today acceptable. There are several authentic hadiths and verses of Quran which clearly shows the music as we know today is HARAM. Instead of quoting these verses and hadiths I will post links to ruling by some well respected scholars below:
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/5000...ng-and-dancing
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/5011...al-instruments
There are lot of other opinions out on internet. Just be careful and try not to learn Islam from google or try not to search for fatwa which will satisfy your own desires. The opinion above may seem to be an extreme opinion but trust me it will protect your heart and will save you from many evils.
And Allah knows the best.

Ma'a Salama
What about the songs of Michael Jackson? And what about the songs of Freddie Mercury? My mom told me that the songs of Michael Jackson does not lead you to do evil, it has good teachings such as no racism and some songs does not even have a message, just some random words and without logic. So, what do you say about them? Some songs are just made for fun like "who is the bad".

But, Electronic music, is it ok? Because, I used to listen and it does not have no message in it as far as I know.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
taha_
01-15-2020, 09:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nitro Zeus
What about the songs of Michael Jackson? And what about the songs of Freddie Mercury? My mom told me that the songs of Michael Jackson does not lead you to do evil, it has good teachings such as no racism and some songs does not even have a message, just some random words and without logic. So, what do you say about them? Some songs are just made for fun like "who is the bad".

But, Electronic music, is it ok? Because, I used to listen and it does not have no message in it as far as I know.
Assalam o alaikum rahmatullahi wa Barakatuhu

Still music are haram and can disturb one from remembering Allah.

If you like listening. Listen to nasheed, which is allowed by Islam.. As long as they follow shariah conditions. Sadly not all of them are halal.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/9114...ng-permissible

By studying the words of the scholars and trustworthy Shaykhs we may compile a list of guidelines and shar’i conditions which must be fulfilled for the nasheed to be permissible. That includes:
1.The words of the nasheed must be free of haraam and foolish words.

2.The nasheed should not be accompanied by musical instruments. No musical instrument is permitted except the duff for women on certain occasions. See the answer to question no. 20406.

3.It should be free of sound effects that imitate musical instruments, because what counts is what appears to be the case, and imitating haraam instruments is not permissible, especially when the bad effect is the same as that which happens with real instruments.

4.Listening to nasheed should not become a habit which takes up a person’s time and affects his duties and mustahabb actions, such as affecting his reading of Qur’aan and calling others to Allaah.

5.The performer of a nasheed should not be a woman performing in front of men, or a man with an enchanting appearance or voice performing in front of women.

6.One should avoid listening to performers with soft voices who move their bodies in rhythm, because there is fitnah in all of that and it is an imitation of the evildoers.

7.One should avoid the images that are put on the covers of their tapes, and more important than that, one should avoid the video clips that accompany their nasheeds, especially those which contain provocative movements and imitations of immoral singers.

8.The purpose of the nasheed should be the words, not the tune.

------

I understand that you do not trust Islamqa, but this fatwa is good.

Some nasheed are good and have message behind it in sha Allah. but you shouldn't make it habit as mentioned in the fatwa

On other way. Listening to Quran recitiation is way way far better.

JazakAllah khair

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.