/* */

PDA

View Full Version : law of attraction and islam

siou
01-25-2020, 11:28 PM
hi, i'm a 14, nearly 15 year old muslim girl currently studying for my gcses.
around a year ago i discovered something called 'the law of attraction'. there are loads of interpretations that are made on it from people of all other faiths, but the basis of it is that your thoughts, negative or positive, create your reality. essentially, you attract positive things by thinking positively and having a good mindset, vice versa.

so, i decided to take this into my own experiences. i visualised (saw myself in the future) get a 95% in chemistry, along with some hard work, and well, i got a 94% heh.

but there is a lack of islamic sources based on the law of attraction, but fundamentally it isn't necessarily haram, as long as you aren't committing shirk - of course there are other interpretations like saying 'oh the universe gave me this, oh my higher self gave me this', but i just assume allah gave me the things brought into my reality.

i dont think i explained this all that well, and it's more a new age concept. idk. your thoughts on this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
M.I.A.
01-26-2020, 03:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by siou
hi, i'm a 14, nearly 15 year old muslim girl currently studying for my gcses.
around a year ago i discovered something called 'the law of attraction'. there are loads of interpretations that are made on it from people of all other faiths, but the basis of it is that your thoughts, negative or positive, create your reality. essentially, you attract positive things by thinking positively and having a good mindset, vice versa.

so, i decided to take this into my own experiences. i visualised (saw myself in the future) get a 95% in chemistry, along with some hard work, and well, i got a 94% heh.

but there is a lack of islamic sources based on the law of attraction, but fundamentally it isn't necessarily haram, as long as you aren't committing shirk - of course there are other interpretations like saying 'oh the universe gave me this, oh my higher self gave me this', but i just assume allah gave me the things brought into my reality.

i dont think i explained this all that well, and it's more a new age concept. idk. your thoughts on this?
it is new age thinking, but it is the level of thinking openly available to people.

the more importance you give to something, the more importance is has to you...and over you.

seems like an obvious explanation for things.

the cautionary tale is one of character..

how this way of thinking develops and changes as it encounters adversity.

most people are dismissive of passing thoughts, ideas and imagination.. but what if you couldnt be?

what if other peoples thoughts and actions began to bother you?

...thats loosely what life is.. we are constantly imposing ourselves on the world and the people in it.

but the law of attraction is a very narrow minded concept.

...but you have to ask,

is there any point in seeing the bigger picture?

at the moment i am just dealing in what ifs and vague generalities, but most people get by, by simply revising and putting the work in.. and being unaware of anything else.

i personally hate the idea of law of attraction.. my mind has been giving me hell for years.

i suppose i should pray more and follow the religion more stringently.

refrain from wronging my own soul.

..and think about my words before i let them out of my mouth.

i was so much better when i didnt have to share my head.. but at the same time, it really makes you think about how other people live.

and maybe some people destroy themselves and some people turn towards allah swt.. with the understanding they have.

hope that helps, or at least does not hinder.

my thoughts are all over the place so if you cant or wont follow, there is no compulsion to do so.

i could go on forever but im sure i would have to do several rewrites even then..

mediocre at exams.. joke.

allah swt give you good character and the coming generations acceptable character.

me? i just bought that car i was always on about but too afraid to buy.. been in the same honda civic for 12 years.

now i have to live through the cost.

allah swt have mercy upon us..

for a man too afraid to talk you bet its a big deal.

Alpha Dude
01-26-2020, 08:05 PM
:sl:

We should believe that Allah is in control of this entire universe and that he is the sole provider of everything that we seek.

With our minds alone, we cannot - without Allah's will - produce anything to benefit us.

So, what you're saying, it comes across as a subtle form of shirk. It is saying that I will will something into existence by my positive thought alone.

However, having said that... there is an Islamic basis for positive thinking and it does have a place in Islam and can produce good effects for you, akin to what people feel the 'law of attraction' gives them.

In fact, all Muslims should abide by this hadith:

The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, "Allah the Most High said, ‘I am as My servant thinks (expects) I am. I am with him when he mentions Me. If he mentions Me to himself, I mention him to Myself; and if he mentions Me in an assembly, I mention him in an assembly greater than it. If he draws near to Me a hand’s length, I draw near to him an arm’s length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.’" [Sahih Al-Bukhari]

See the bit in bold. If you have a positive opinion of Allah and believe he will deliver you from anything that causes you harm, solve all your problems etc., then that is what he will do for you. Conversely, if you have a negative opinion and doubt in his power and help, then you won't benefit as you could. Even the small example you gave, if you believe Allah will guide you and open your mind into giving you good results in exams, that is what he will do in sha Allah if it is in your best interest.

In conclusion: law of attraction is a perverted approach for a Muslim to take. We believe that Allah is in control of everything so does not make sense to think we can do things of our own accord. Rather, have positive thoughts of Allah and the benefit would be much better for you, in this world and the next.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.