/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fasting of thursday and monday

Adam Bilal
02-03-2020, 04:50 PM
I have been trying to devote my self to Allah through fating,i have been thinking of beter future,and at work prosperity i decided to raise promised betwen my lord and me which is to fast every monday and thursday till my wil come through which i will continue but not as am Fasting with the intention,one of my islamic mate told me not to be fasting like the way i keep my promise ,am worried not nowing what to do,am even used to it (fasting monday and thursday),am discorauge as am not doing the right thing or going astray,what can i do with my intention

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abdullah
02-03-2020, 07:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Adam Bilal
I have been trying to devote my self to Allah through fating,i have been thinking of beter future,and at work prosperity i decided to raise promised betwen my lord and me which is to fast every monday and thursday till my wil come through which i will continue but not as am Fasting with the intention,one of my islamic mate told me not to be fasting like the way i keep my promise ,am worried not nowing what to do,am even used to it (fasting monday and thursday),am discorauge as am not doing the right thing or going astray,what can i do with my intention
Asslam O Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

You dont have to promise that you will keep fasting Monday and Thursdays. Just try your best if you can. There are several recommendation for fasting who can find in the Sunnah for example:

• It is recommended (not obligatory) to fast 6 days of Shawal.
  • It is recommended to fast on the day of Arafa.
  • It is recommended to fast on 9th and 10th or 10 & 11th of the Muharram.
  • It is recommended to fast on Ayyam al beed (13, 14th and 15th of the Islamic month).
  • It is recommended to fast on Monday and Thursday of every week because during these days our deeds are presented to allahu Subhanahu Wa Taala.
  • It is recommended to fast every other day like Prophet Dawood (peace be upon him).

Now if you are married then I will advise not to take any extreme measure. Three days in a month shall be enough or at the most you can day Monday and Thursday. Your wife have rights over you and make sure you fulfill those. Fasting does kill your sexual desires, so don't over do it if you are married. If you are single you can fast every Monday and Thursday or every other day until you get married, only if you are able to do so.

There are several hadiths on this topic which I can quote. But below is one hadith which I hope will help. It was narrated that Abu Salamah bin 'Abdur-Rahman said:
"I entered upon 'Abdullah bin 'Amr and said: O uncle, tell me what the Messenger of Allah said to you. He said: O son of my brother, I had resolved to strive very hard until I said: I will fast for the rest of my life and I will read the whole Quran every day and night. The Messenger of Allah heard about that, and came in to me in my house, and said: I have heard that you said, I will fast for a lifetime and will read the Quran. I said: I did say that, O Messenger of Allah. He said; Do not do that. Fast three days of each month. I said: I am able to do more than that. He said: fast two days of each week, Monday and Thursday. I said: I am able to do more than that. He said; Observe the fast of Dawud, peace be upon him, for it is the best kind of fasting before Allah; one day fasting, and one day not fasting. And when he made a promise he did not break it, and when he met (the enemy in battle) he did not flee." 'Ata said: "someone who heard him told me that Ibn 'Umar (said) that the Prophet said: 'Whoever fasts every day of his life, then he has not fasted."

أَخْبَرَنِي أَحْمَدُ بْنُ بَكَّارٍ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدٌ، - وَهُوَ ابْنُ سَلَمَةَ - عَنِ ابْنِ إِسْحَاقَ، عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ، عَنْ أَبِي سَلَمَةَ بْنِ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ، قَالَ دَخَلْتُ عَلَى عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ عَمْرٍو قُلْتُ أَىْ عَمِّ حَدِّثْنِي عَمَّا قَالَ لَكَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ يَا ابْنَ أَخِي إِنِّي كُنْتُ أَجْمَعْتُ عَلَى أَنْ أَجْتَهِدَ اجْتِهَادًا شَدِيدًا حَتَّى قُلْتُ لأَصُومَنَّ الدَّهْرَ وَلأَقْرَأَنَّ الْقُرْآنَ فِي كُلِّ يَوْمٍ وَلَيْلَةٍ فَسَمِعَ بِذَلِكَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم فَأَتَانِي حَتَّى دَخَلَ عَلَىَّ فِي دَارِي فَقَالَ ‏"‏ بَلَغَنِي أَنَّكَ قُلْتَ لأَصُومَنَّ الدَّهْرَ وَلأَقْرَأَنَّ الْقُرْآنَ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ فَقُلْتُ قَدْ قُلْتُ ذَلِكَ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ فَلاَ تَفْعَلْ صُمْ مِنْ كُلِّ شَهْرٍ ثَلاَثَةَ أَيَّامٍ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قُلْتُ إِنِّي أَقْوَى عَلَى أَكْثَرَ مِنْ ذَلِكَ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ فَصُمْ مِنَ الْجُمُعَةِ يَوْمَيْنِ الاِثْنَيْنِ وَالْخَمِيسَ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قُلْتُ فَإِنِّي أَقْوَى عَلَى أَكْثَرَ مِنْ ذَلِكَ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ فَصُمْ صِيَامَ دَاوُدَ عَلَيْهِ السَّلاَمُ فَإِنَّهُ أَعْدَلُ الصِّيَامِ عِنْدَ اللَّهِ يَوْمًا صَائِمًا وَيَوْمًا مُفْطِرًا وَإِنَّهُ كَانَ إِذَا وَعَدَ لَمْ يُخْلِفْ وَإِذَا لاَقَى لَمْ يَفِرَّ ‏"‏ ‏.‏
Grade: Sahih (Darussalam)
Reference: Sunan an-Nasa'i 2393
In-book reference: Book 22, Hadith 304
English translation: Vol. 3, Book 22, Hadith 2395
https://sunnah.com/nasai/22/304
Keep a good balance in your worship of Allah Subhanahu Wa Taala and in fulfilling the rights of other people on you and stay consistent. Allah loves things which we do on regular basis and perhaps it will be easy to fast three days in a month for the rest of your life. And Allah knows the best.

Ma'aSalaam

MazharShafiq
02-04-2020, 01:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HabibUrrehman
Asslam O Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

You dont have to promise that you will keep fasting Monday and Thursdays. Just try your best if you can. There are several recommendation for fasting who can find in the Sunnah for example:

• It is recommended (not obligatory) to fast 6 days of Shawal.
  • It is recommended to fast on the day of Arafa.
  • It is recommended to fast on 9th and 10th or 10 & 11th of the Muharram.
  • It is recommended to fast on Ayyam al beed (13, 14th and 15th of the Islamic month).
  • It is recommended to fast on Monday and Thursday of every week because during these days our deeds are presented to allahu Subhanahu Wa Taala.
  • It is recommended to fast every other day like Prophet Dawood (peace be upon him).

Now if you are married then I will advise not to take any extreme measure. Three days in a month shall be enough or at the most you can day Monday and Thursday. Your wife have rights over you and make sure you fulfill those. Fasting does kill your sexual desires, so don't over do it if you are married. If you are single you can fast every Monday and Thursday or every other day until you get married, only if you are able to do so.

There are several hadiths on this topic which I can quote. But below is one hadith which I hope will help. It was narrated that Abu Salamah bin 'Abdur-Rahman said:

Keep a good balance in your worship of Allah Subhanahu Wa Taala and in fulfilling the rights of other people on you and stay consistent. Allah loves things which we do on regular basis and perhaps it will be easy to fast three days in a month for the rest of your life. And Allah knows the best.

Ma'aSalaam
yes it is right I agreed with you.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.