/* */

PDA

View Full Version : being the only Muslim at your job

amber.k
02-15-2020, 05:23 AM
Salam Alykum Everyone and I hope this reaches you in great health.

This thread is mainly for the Sisters but Brothers you can chime in too.

Is anyone the only Muslim at their job, if you are how do you handle that?
I feel out of place 99% of the time. Im surrounded by people that have very very strong opinions of Muslims. I dont know it just makes me feel uncomfortable and unwanted. I understand that as muslims we dont look for approval of others that we should only look to Allah swt.

I dont know I guess I dont wanna alone in this topic.

- Amber

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
sovietchild
02-15-2020, 05:54 AM
People win at the expense of others. Someone's loss is another one's win. When one person loses something, another person gets it. So, if they are being negative and are mistaking, you should be able to win at their expense. In short term you might lose, but in long term you should win. It's like losing a round, but winning the game.

sovietchild
02-15-2020, 09:41 AM
You should look into minority vs majority theories. It might give you an idea of how majority thinks of minority and vice versa.

Here is one. https://study.com/academy/lesson/gro...influence.html

Group Psychology: Minority vs. Majority Influence - Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.com
How would you change a belief or opinion of the majority to match your own? Is it even possible? Serge Moscovici believed it is and further stated......

keiv
02-15-2020, 11:00 PM
I'm the only Muslim at my job that I'm aware of. I didn't know any Muslim kids in any of my schools growing up as well. My type of work allows me to work alone most of the time so I haven't run across any issues with anyone. It's always been somewhat of a challenge being around non Muslims most of my life due to big differences in beliefs. From grade school to present day, people haven't changed. The only advice I can give you is to just stick to doing your job and go home. Don't get caught up in the small groups that gossip or like to have small talk. If people act unprofessional around you, move away. If people act unprofessional towards you, report them. If management doesn't seem to care, start looking for another job.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
M.I.A.
02-16-2020, 07:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amber.k
Salam Alykum Everyone and I hope this reaches you in great health.

This thread is mainly for the Sisters but Brothers you can chime in too.

Is anyone the only Muslim at their job, if you are how do you handle that?
I feel out of place 99% of the time. Im surrounded by people that have very very strong opinions of Muslims. I dont know it just makes me feel uncomfortable and unwanted. I understand that as muslims we dont look for approval of others that we should only look to Allah swt.

I dont know I guess I dont wanna alone in this topic.

- Amber
I'm not the only muslim at my job I am one of two lol.

The other guy is a team leader.. and the way he is treated is not the same as me.

I'm not saying he is treated differently because he is a team leader but rather, the way he conducts himself has lead to the way he is treated.

It's the same environment and people as I encounter but he has his head and mind on something else.

You have to take the good with the bad and understand that what people say has little thought behind it, they dont care..

So you either have to not care or have appropriate answers.

The same people attack AND defend you.. until you choose the role you want to play.

But the best advice is to keep your eyes on your own goals.

Follow your own path rather than the ones some outstretched hands offer you.

If you believe that the system is unfair then you have yet to understand.

I have been working for 2 years and have yet to take a sick day or even have one late start.. this is not a source of pride but rather the understanding that I couldn't make it in a muslim neighbourhood..

I wouldn't have got very far for being angry.. in front of people who dont care.

So now I just work, 100%

..and try to remove my own bad habits as they are announced.

Its deliberately criptic because you have to learn to live your own life.

You might want to be the person that cuts everyone down as soon as they walk through the door..

But most people just condemn themselves.. wrong there own soul.

living the dream...as they say.

you only have to hear a person say, "dont you worry about what im saying!" once before you start planning better for yourself.

so do the best you can until your knowledge changes your opinions and answers.. live and learn.

peoples opinions count for very little until they are entertained by others.. so selling and buying into the delusion is all a part of guidance, misguidance, failure and success.

Sometimes im stood there thinking for ages which way this thing goes on, knowing iv done it hundreds of times before.. the team leader watches me do it wrong and we have a laugh about it before i put it right.

thick as a brick sometimes..

if only there was such a thing as an original thought.

..i dont think this answer is for you or even know what im up against.

this is why i dont talk much.

i hope for better, for all of yours and all of mine.. inshallah work towards it as much as we are allowed.

to be truthful i love the job but a few people always end up spoiling the day, adamant that it is the truth they want to tell.. in the age of facebook and social media id rather they just talk about themselves rather than at me.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.