/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Cousin told me she was sexually abused by her brother as a child. What should I do?

Goldenberry
03-03-2020, 08:52 PM
My cousin, based abroad, now 17, revealed to me she's a victim of child sexual abuse by her brother (now atheist) - who currently live under the same roof.

This is the root cause of her odd behaviour over the years such as self-harming at 13, avoiding people etc

In parallel she's always been bullied at school, especially after wearing Hijab at 16 - her parents think bullying is the cause of her issues.

As she's aged, her symptoms are only getting worse such as:
  • eating disorder
  • low self esteem
  • high anxiety
  • Victim complex
  • Poor focus
  • Self-sabotage

A year ago she asked me for my thoughts on telling her parents, and she's afraid of revealing this to her parents in case they dismiss it as no big deal, or shun her. She also told me she struggles to sleep, and contemplates suicide.

It's clear from our communication, from her erratic behaviour, right down to the words she uses that she is getting worse, and it's at this current date when I talk with her it seems like I'm talking with a different person, and she doesn't seem mentally aware of her destructive behaviours anymore. In addition, I hear she has problems with panic attacks when going outside.

I'm afraid if she doesn't seek treatment/therapy she'll commit suicide...

However..to seek treatment her parents need to know.

Can I tell her father that his daughter was sexually abused - without getting sin of disclosure on my end?

I could tell her father directly that she's be abused, or be indirect with him, telling him of my interactions, and let him to his own conclusion. Her parents like me, and see me as a marriage prospect.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SintoDinto
03-04-2020, 12:06 PM
in a situation like this you have to care more about your cousin's own well being.

SintoDinto
03-04-2020, 12:07 PM
which means youd have to tell your father

*charisma*
03-04-2020, 06:24 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

This is a really sensitive topic and I'm not sure whether or not the news should be coming from you.
Is she still being abused? Was this something that happened often?

Her family should know but maybe she should tell them herself with someone there to support her.
To be honest its kind of odd for me that she opened up to you as a male cousin, which might be odd or embarrassing for her family to hear it coming from you.
Although I'm not sure the relationship you have with her family.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.