/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Questions in the grave - Three or Four?

'Abdullah
04-06-2020, 04:41 PM
Narrated Al-Bara' ibn Azib:

We went out with the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) accompanying the bier of a man of the Ansar. When we reached his grave, it was not yet dug. So the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) sat down and we also sat down around him as if birds were over our heads. He had in his hand a stick with which he was scratching the ground.
He then raised his head and said: Seek refuge with Allah from the punishment in the grave. He said it twice or thrice.
The version of Jabir adds here: He hears the beat of their sandals when they go back, and at that moment he is asked: O so and so! Who is your Lord, what is your religion, and who is your Prophet?
Hannad's version says: Two angels will come to him, make him sit up and ask him:
Who is your Lord?
He will reply: My Lord is Allah.
They will ask him: What is your religion?
He will reply: My religion is Islam.
They will ask him: What is your opinion about the man who was sent on a mission among you? He will reply: He is the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ).
They will ask: Who made you aware of this? He will reply: I read Allah's Book, believed in it, and considered it true; which is verified by Allah's words: "Allah's Book, believed in it, and considered it true, which is verified by Allah's words: "Allah establishes those who believe with the word that stands firm in this world and the next."
The agreed version reads: Then a crier will call from Heaven: My servant has spoken the truth, so spread a bed for him from Paradise, clothe him from Paradise, and open a door for him into Paradise. So some of its air and perfume will come to him, and a space will be made for him as far as the eye can see.
He also mentioned the death of the infidel, saying: His spirit will be restored to his body, two angels will come to him, make him sit up and ask him: Who is your Lord?
He will reply: Alas, alas! I do not know. They will ask him: What is your religion? He will reply: Alas, alas! I do not know. They will ask: Who was the man who was sent on a mission among you? He will reply: Alas, alas! I do not know. Then a crier will call from Heaven: He has lied, so spread a bed for him from Hell, clothe him from Hell, and open for him a door into Hell. Then some of its heat and pestilential wind will come to him, and his grave will be compressed, so that his ribs will be crushed together.
Jabir's version adds: One who is blind and dumb will then be placed in charge of him, having a sledge-hammer such that if a mountain were struck with it, it would become dust. He will give him a blow with it which will be heard by everything between the east and the west except by men and jinn, and he will become dust. Then his spirit will be restored to him.

حَدَّثَنَا عُثْمَانُ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا جَرِيرٌ، ح وَحَدَّثَنَا هَنَّادُ بْنُ السَّرِيِّ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو مُعَاوِيَةَ، - وَهَذَا لَفْظُ هَنَّادٍ - عَنِ الأَعْمَشِ، عَنِ الْمِنْهَالِ، عَنْ زَاذَانَ، عَنِ الْبَرَاءِ بْنِ عَازِبٍ، قَالَ ‏:‏ خَرَجْنَا مَعَ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم فِي جَنَازَةِ رَجُلٍ مِنَ الأَنْصَارِ، فَانْتَهَيْنَا إِلَى الْقَبْرِ وَلَمَّا يُلْحَدْ، فَجَلَسَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم وَجَلَسْنَا حَوْلَهُ كَأَنَّمَا عَلَى رُءُوسِنَا الطَّيْرُ، وَفِي يَدِهِ عُودٌ يَنْكُتُ بِهِ فِي الأَرْضِ، فَرَفَعَ رَأْسَهُ فَقَالَ ‏:‏ ‏"‏ اسْتَعِيذُوا بِاللَّهِ مِنْ عَذَابِ الْقَبْرِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ مَرَّتَيْنِ أَوْ ثَلاَثًا - زَادَ فِي حَدِيثِ جَرِيرٍ هَا هُنَا - وَقَالَ ‏:‏ ‏"‏ وَإِنَّهُ لَيَسْمَعُ خَفْقَ نِعَالِهِمْ إِذَا وَلَّوْا مُدْبِرِينَ حِينَ يُقَالُ لَهُ ‏:‏ يَا هَذَا مَنْ رَبُّكَ وَمَا دِينُكَ وَمَنْ نَبِيُّكَ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ هَنَّادٌ قَالَ ‏:‏ ‏"‏ وَيَأْتِيهِ مَلَكَانِ فَيُجْلِسَانِهِ فَيَقُولاَنِ لَهُ ‏:‏ مَنْ رَبُّكَ فَيَقُولُ ‏:‏ رَبِّيَ اللَّهُ ‏.‏ فَيَقُولاَنِ لَهُ ‏:‏ مَا دِينُكَ فَيَقُولُ ‏:‏ دِينِي الإِسْلاَمُ ‏.‏ فَيَقُولاَنِ لَهُ ‏:‏ مَا هَذَا الرَّجُلُ الَّذِي بُعِثَ فِيكُمْ قَالَ فَيَقُولُ ‏:‏ هُوَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏.‏ فَيَقُولاَنِ ‏:‏ وَمَا يُدْرِيكَ فَيَقُولُ ‏:‏ قَرَأْتُ كِتَابَ اللَّهِ فَآمَنْتُ بِهِ وَصَدَّقْتُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ زَادَ فِي حَدِيثِ جَرِيرٍ ‏:‏ ‏"‏ فَذَلِكَ قَوْلُ اللَّهِ عَزَّ وَجَلَّ ‏{‏ يُثَبِّتُ اللَّهُ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا ‏}‏ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ الآيَةَ ‏.‏ ثُمَّ اتَّفَقَا قَالَ ‏:‏ ‏"‏ فَيُنَادِي مُنَادٍ مِنَ السَّمَاءِ ‏:‏ أَنْ قَدْ صَدَقَ عَبْدِي فَأَفْرِشُوهُ مِنَ الْجَنَّةِ، وَافْتَحُوا لَهُ بَابًا إِلَى الْجَنَّةِ وَأَلْبِسُوهُ مِنَ الْجَنَّةِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏:‏ ‏"‏ فَيَأْتِيهِ مِنْ رَوْحِهَا وَطِيبِهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏:‏ ‏"‏ وَيُفْتَحُ لَهُ فِيهَا مَدَّ بَصَرِهِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏:‏ ‏"‏ وَإِنَّ الْكَافِرَ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ فَذَكَرَ مَوْتَهُ قَالَ ‏:‏ ‏"‏ وَتُعَادُ رُوحُهُ فِي جَسَدِهِ وَيَأْتِيهِ مَلَكَانِ فَيُجْلِسَانِهِ فَيَقُولاَنِ ‏:‏ مَنْ رَبُّكَ فَيَقُولُ ‏:‏ هَاهْ هَاهْ هَاهْ لاَ أَدْرِي ‏.‏ فَيَقُولاَنِ لَهُ ‏:‏ مَا دِينُكَ فَيَقُولُ ‏:‏ هَاهْ هَاهْ لاَ أَدْرِي ‏.‏ فَيَقُولاَنِ ‏:‏ مَا هَذَا الرَّجُلُ الَّذِي بُعِثَ فِيكُمْ فَيَقُولُ ‏:‏ هَاهْ هَاهْ لاَ أَدْرِي ‏.‏ فَيُنَادِي مُنَادٍ مِنَ السَّمَاءِ ‏:‏ أَنْ كَذَبَ فَأَفْرِشُوهُ مِنَ النَّارِ وَأَلْبِسُوهُ مِنَ النَّارِ، وَافْتَحُوا لَهُ بَابًا إِلَى النَّارِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏:‏ ‏"‏ فَيَأْتِيهِ مِنْ حَرِّهَا وَسَمُومِهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏:‏ ‏"‏ وَيُضَيَّقُ عَلَيْهِ قَبْرُهُ حَتَّى تَخْتَلِفَ فِيهِ أَضْلاَعُهُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ زَادَ فِي حَدِيثِ جَرِيرٍ قَالَ ‏:‏ ‏"‏ ثُمَّ يُقَيَّضُ لَهُ أَعْمَى أَبْكَمُ مَعَهُ مِرْزَبَّةٌ مِنْ حَدِيدٍ، لَوْ ضُرِبَ بِهَا جَبَلٌ لَصَارَ تُرَابًا ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏:‏ ‏"‏ فَيَضْرِبُهُ بِهَا ضَرْبَةً يَسْمَعُهَا مَا بَيْنَ الْمَشْرِقِ وَالْمَغْرِبِ إِلاَّ الثَّقَلَيْنِ فَيَصِيرُ تُرَابًا ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏:‏ ‏"‏ ثُمَّ تُعَادُ فِيهِ الرُّوحُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏

Grade: Sahih (Al-Albani)
Reference: Sunan Abi Dawud 4753
In-book reference: Book 42, Hadith 158
English translation: Book 41, Hadith 4735
http://sunnah.com/abudawud/42/158

We have often heard that we will be asked about three questions in the grave. There are several hadith which talk about those three questions, I have bolded the text of those questions. If one pays attention, we can see that three are four questions to be asked not three. The answer to fourth question is equally important because that determined how we will be able to answer the first three questions. In other words, angels will be asking for evidence and source of answers to first three questions.
The source of our answers in to believe in Quran and Sunnah (because Quran tells us to follow the Sunnah of Prophet peace be upon him). Anyone who follow Biddah's will not be able to answer these questions.

Narrated Irbad ibn Sariyah:

AbdurRahman ibn Amr as-Sulami and Hujr ibn Hujr said: We came to Irbad ibn Sariyah who was among those about whom the following verse was revealed: "Nor (is there blame) on those who come to thee to be provided with mounts, and when thou saidst: "I can find no mounts for you."
We greeted him and said: We have come to see you to give healing and obtain benefit from you.
Al-Irbad said: One day the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) led us in prayer, then faced us and gave us a lengthy exhortation at which the eyes shed tears and the hearts were afraid.
A man said: Messenger of Allah! It seems as if it were a farewell exhortation, so what injunction do you give us?
He then said: I enjoin you to fear Allah, and to hear and obey even if it be an Abyssinian slave, for those of you who live after me will see great disagreement. You must then follow my sunnah and that of the rightly-guided caliphs. Hold to it and stick fast to it. Avoid novelties, for every novelty is an innovation, and every innovation is an error.

حَدَّثَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ حَنْبَلٍ، حَدَّثَنَا الْوَلِيدُ بْنُ مُسْلِمٍ، حَدَّثَنَا ثَوْرُ بْنُ يَزِيدَ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنِي خَالِدُ بْنُ مَعْدَانَ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنِي عَبْدُ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنُ عَمْرٍو السُّلَمِيُّ، وَحُجْرُ بْنُ حُجْرٍ، قَالاَ أَتَيْنَا الْعِرْبَاضَ بْنَ سَارِيَةَ وَهُوَ مِمَّنْ نَزَلَ فِيهِ ‏{‏ وَلاَ عَلَى الَّذِينَ إِذَا مَا أَتَوْكَ لِتَحْمِلَهُمْ قُلْتَ لاَ أَجِدُ مَا أَحْمِلُكُمْ عَلَيْهِ ‏}‏ فَسَلَّمْنَا وَقُلْنَا أَتَيْنَاكَ زَائِرِينَ وَعَائِدِينَ وَمُقْتَبِسِينَ ‏.‏ فَقَالَ الْعِرْبَاضُ صَلَّى بِنَا رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ذَاتَ يَوْمٍ ثُمَّ أَقْبَلَ عَلَيْنَا فَوَعَظَنَا مَوْعِظَةً بَلِيغَةً ذَرَفَتْ مِنْهَا الْعُيُونُ وَوَجِلَتْ مِنْهَا الْقُلُوبُ فَقَالَ قَائِلٌ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ كَأَنَّ هَذِهِ مَوْعِظَةُ مُوَدِّعٍ فَمَاذَا تَعْهَدُ إِلَيْنَا فَقَالَ ‏"‏ أُوصِيكُمْ بِتَقْوَى اللَّهِ وَالسَّمْعِ وَالطَّاعَةِ وَإِنْ عَبْدًا حَبَشِيًّا فَإِنَّهُ مَنْ يَعِشْ مِنْكُمْ بَعْدِي فَسَيَرَى اخْتِلاَفًا كَثِيرًا فَعَلَيْكُمْ بِسُنَّتِي وَسُنَّةِ الْخُلَفَاءِ الْمَهْدِيِّينَ الرَّاشِدِينَ تَمَسَّكُوا بِهَا وَعَضُّوا عَلَيْهَا بِالنَّوَاجِذِ وَإِيَّاكُمْ وَمُحْدَثَاتِ الأُمُورِ فَإِنَّ كُلَّ مُحْدَثَةٍ بِدْعَةٌ وَكُلَّ بِدْعَةٍ ضَلاَلَةٌ ‏"‏ ‏.‏
Grade: Sahih (Al-Albani)
Reference: Sunan Abi Dawud 4607
In-book reference: Book 42, Hadith 12
English translation: Book 41, Hadith 4590
https://sunnah.com/abudawud/42/12

Those who believe there is good Biddah should pay attention to the word every in above hadith. Prophet peace be upon him has been very precise in his words. Every includes good and bad biddah and it shows that there is no such thing as good biddah.

Anyways, My intention is to only give an advice and not to turn this into a useless discussion to prove that good Biddah is part of our religion when it is NOT. If one still wants to follow innovations, feel free to do so but remember the warnings mentioned in these hadiths and in Quran.
تَكَادُ تَمَيَّزُ مِنَ ٱلْغَيْظِ كُلَّمَآ أُلْقِىَ فِيهَا فَوْجٌ سَأَلَهُمْ خَزَنَتُهَآ أَلَمْ يَأْتِكُمْ نَذِيرٌ

It ( the hell fire) almost bursts with rage. Every time a company is thrown into it, its keepers ask them, "Did there not come to you a warner?" [Quran 67:8]
وَقَالُوا۟ لَوْ كُنَّا نَسْمَعُ أَوْ نَعْقِلُ مَا كُنَّا فِىٓ أَصْحَٰبِ ٱلسَّعِيرِ
And they will say, "If only we had been listening or reasoning, we would not be among the companions of the Blaze.
[Quran 67:10]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
caseytoliver
06-24-2023, 10:03 AM
This is already a very old post but wow, that's pretty unusual

bondlillian
06-26-2023, 01:00 PM
Wow, that's quite an interesting narration! It's fascinating to hear about the experiences in the grave. The Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) seemed so engaged at the moment, scratching the ground with a stick while reminding everyone to seek refuge from the punishment of the grave.

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by bondlillian
Wow, that's quite an interesting narration! It's fascinating to hear about the experiences in the grave. The Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) seemed so engaged at the moment, scratching the ground with a stick while reminding everyone to seek refuge from the punishment of the grave.
I'm actually not afraid of death and have even chosen one of the Washington Headstones for myself in advance. I just want the ceremony to be the way I see it. Anyway, thanks for sharing interesting insights.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.