/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Istishara from elder members/mods on career, major, marriage

SintoDinto
04-10-2020, 08:50 PM
I am 21. As some of the mods may know, I have been obsessing over girls/women since I was a very small child. But that aside, that plays a minor role in the discussion, the main topic is majors. I am in my third year of college, and it will take me until after my fifth year to graduate. My mother and some friends of family have already made suggestion(s)/promises for matchmaking. I was going to major in economics since I was so obsessed with finding a job quickly rather than going to graduate school and being poor, and not providing for my family, that I chose the technical, yet social scientific route. But here lies the dilemma: most of the jobs involve riba. I downplayed it, saying there are plenty of jobs that wouldn't require, but they are few, and far between, and mostly just tech analyst jobs where econ majors are sought after, but the most sought after are computer science majors. (or math majors). I even had a dream that I interpreted as being a warning to the dangers of riba and the path I was headed towards due to the corresponding quranic verse and words and phrases involved in the dream (not gonna name, dont want readers to dwell on dream interpretation). I already did istikhara years ago, and I have a bad feeling. I was considering sociology, and reconsidered it again at around the same time I started having feelings again for the girl I did istikhara for (but I did istishara wrong I was warned by elders not to pursue, and I was told by imams you only do istikhara for marriage proposals in the present) which didn't end well and ended in me bawling for days due to her warning me not to text her and that she was more focused on getting her PhD and some other harsh words. She is majoring in sociology. I ended up obsessing again and wanted to, like I wanted to when I wasn't interested in her, go to the graduate school at her uni and study her program where there would be a small number of students (you know), but the whole thing reeked of stalking. I started to feel depressed. I also am not a very good student, according to my parents, and they and often I think I can't handle grad school, but I've shown signs of improvement. I've considered a trade, but right now america is in the midst of an epidemic and my mother is at risk due to her job. so i cant get an apprenticeship. and that would take even longer. i have no idea where to go. is it permissible to study economics or finance? 

- - - Updated - - -

also, many have actually suggested me pursuing a long education so i can win people over with my intelligence, rather than social skills

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SintoDinto
04-10-2020, 08:53 PM
i cant go to my parents about this because they dont think interest in and of itself is a sin.

SintoDinto
04-10-2020, 08:55 PM
what jobs can you get with a sociology degree bachelor's anyway? i was told by a professor youd need a master's

SintoDinto
04-11-2020, 12:49 AM
the sister DID block me. I'm never going to pay attention to her again. >:(

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.