/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Moon sighting in Calgary

soheil1
04-23-2020, 05:42 AM
Salam.
How do you determine the first day of Ramadan here?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
taha_
04-23-2020, 05:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by soheil1
Salam.
How do you determine the first day of Ramadan here?
Hadith

حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو أُسَامَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا عُبَيْدُ اللَّهِ، عَنْ نَافِعٍ، عَنِ ابْنِ عُمَرَ، رضى الله عنهما أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ذَكَرَ رَمَضَانَ فَضَرَبَ بِيَدَيْهِ فَقَالَ ‏

‏ الشَّهْرُ هَكَذَا وَهَكَذَا وَهَكَذَا - ثُمَّ عَقَدَ إِبْهَامَهُ فِي الثَّالِثَةِ - فَصُومُوا لِرُؤْيَتِهِ وَأَفْطِرُوا لِرُؤْيَتِهِ فَإِنْ أُغْمِيَ عَلَيْكُمْ فَاقْدِرُوا لَهُ ثَلاَثِينَ ‏"

‏ ‏‏

Ibn Umar reported that Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) made a mention of Ramadan and he with the gesture of his hand said:

The month is thus and thus. (He then withdrew his thumb at the third time). He then said: Fast when you see it, and break your fast when you see it, and if the weather is cloudy calculate it (the months of Sha'ban and Shawwal) as thirty days.

Sahih Muslim 1080 b
In-book : Book 13, Hadith 5
USC-MSA web (English) : Book 6, Hadith 2364 (deprecated)
Sahih Muslim

Get Hadith Collection (All in one) App:https://goo.gl/8j06i9
#GreentechApps #Hadith

Hadith

وَحَدَّثَنَا عُبَيْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ سَعِيدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى بْنُ سَعِيدٍ، عَنْ عُبَيْدِ اللَّهِ، بِهَذَا الإِسْنَادِ وَقَالَ ذَكَرَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم رَمَضَانَ فَقَالَ ‏‏ الشَّهْرُ تِسْعٌ وَعِشْرُونَ الشَّهْرُ هَكَذَا وَهَكَذَا وَهَكَذَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏ وَقَالَ ‏"‏ فَاقْدِرُوا لَهُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ وَلَمْ يَقُلْ ‏"‏ ثَلاَثِينَ ‏"‏ ‏.‏"

Ubaidullah narrated on the authority of the same chain of transmitters that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) made a mention of Ramadan and said:

The month may consist of twenty-nine days, and it may be thus, thus and thus, and (he further) said: Calculate it, but he did not say thirty.

Sahih Muslim 1080 d
In-book : Book 13, Hadith 7
USC-MSA web (English) : Book 6, Hadith 2366 (deprecated)
Sahih Muslim

soheil1
04-23-2020, 05:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by taha_
Hadith

حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو بَكْرِ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا أَبُو أُسَامَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا عُبَيْدُ اللَّهِ، عَنْ نَافِعٍ، عَنِ ابْنِ عُمَرَ، رضى الله عنهما أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ذَكَرَ رَمَضَانَ فَضَرَبَ بِيَدَيْهِ فَقَالَ ‏

‏ الشَّهْرُ هَكَذَا وَهَكَذَا وَهَكَذَا - ثُمَّ عَقَدَ إِبْهَامَهُ فِي الثَّالِثَةِ - فَصُومُوا لِرُؤْيَتِهِ وَأَفْطِرُوا لِرُؤْيَتِهِ فَإِنْ أُغْمِيَ عَلَيْكُمْ فَاقْدِرُوا لَهُ ثَلاَثِينَ ‏"

‏ ‏‏

Ibn Umar reported that Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) made a mention of Ramadan and he with the gesture of his hand said:

The month is thus and thus. (He then withdrew his thumb at the third time). He then said: Fast when you see it, and break your fast when you see it, and if the weather is cloudy calculate it (the months of Sha'ban and Shawwal) as thirty days.

Sahih Muslim 1080 b
In-book : Book 13, Hadith 5
USC-MSA web (English) : Book 6, Hadith 2364 (deprecated)
Sahih Muslim

Get Hadith Collection (All in one) App:https://goo.gl/8j06i9
#GreentechApps #Hadith
ّI know the hadith, but I was asking how do they find it out HERE.
In Iran there is a government moon-sighting committee, and several other scholars also give their opinion.
I don't know how does it work here in Calgary.

MazharShafiq
04-23-2020, 09:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by soheil1
ّI know the hadith, but I was asking how do they find it out HERE.
In Iran there is a government moon-sighting committee, and several other scholars also give their opinion.
I don't know how does it work here in Calgary.
you can search by internet.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IslamLife00
04-23-2020, 01:16 PM
Wa alaykumussalaam

Wherever you are in the world, you can go to :

https://moonsighting.com

http://www.makkahcalendar.org

I also follow the local masjid, but the last 3 - 4 years they have been using Makkah Calendar as well anyway

soheil1
04-23-2020, 01:50 PM
The problem is that some Jurists take الرؤیة in the noble hadith mentioned by dear bro Taha in post #2 to mean seeing with naked eye, others take it to mean seeing by whatever means, including telescope.

soheil1
04-24-2020, 05:15 AM
Toronto moon-sighting committee says they saw no moon. Is it sighted here?

Iceee
04-24-2020, 01:42 PM
Salaam brother.

I live in Toronto. Yes, the moon was sighted and today is the first day of Ramadan.

Ramadan Mubarak
Moon was sighted in San Diego,Fasting start tomorrow Friday 24th!
Salām, Ramadhan Mubarak! Hilal was sighted in San Diego, California. Allah bless all of us and the entire Ummah with a blessed Ramadhan, Āmīn.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.