/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Zakat

KAWA4355
04-28-2020, 10:06 AM
I understand zakat is payable on jewelry and savings. My question is my house has equity of $300,000 right now but that is not real money. It could be zero tomorrow because of COVID or the way economy is crashing. Does that count for zakat?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
taha_
04-28-2020, 10:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAWA4355
I understand zakat is payable on jewelry and savings. My question is my house has equity of $300,000 right now but that is not real money. It could be zero tomorrow because of COVID or the way economy is crashing. Does that count for zakat?
Assalam o Aalaikum rahamutullahi wa baraktuhu.

You should ask your scholars regarding this.

JazakAllah khair

Caplets
04-28-2020, 11:52 AM

- - - Updated - - -

السلام عليكم

A similar question was posed here: https://www.islamicboard.com/general...ml#post3026520

It's likely that those who have purchased multiple homes - mortgaged, not fully paid-off - will find that they risk loosing all their property/investments due to e.g. not receiving rent and subsequently being unable to meet payments. Even single home owners will face difficulties. What happens in the future only Allaah knows, but there is the threat of depression in many countries e.g, US, UK & Europe.

Why not consider selling your property & rent instead? Avoid waiting around for major problems to occur. If you have roots abroad then purchase property/land abroad. With that amount (even a fraction of ) you could purchase decent apartment/home in many countries.

We Muslims have to invest in our own countries. We complain that our countries are backwards, dirty and corrupt. Will they not be when we flee to Britain & America in order to live the "false dream"? We flee and taking most of the capital with us, leaving crumbs for our own lands

May Allaah protect you & your family and the Muslims.

- Caplets

MazharShafiq
04-28-2020, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by taha_
Assalam o Aalaikum rahamutullahi wa baraktuhu.

You should ask your scholars regarding this.

JazakAllah khair
yes absolutely right.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
moinudin
04-29-2020, 05:38 AM
Asalaam alaikum brother

I'm currently studying these rulings with a scholar.

Zakaat us payable on gold and silver, but no other jewellery, even if you have lots of pearls for example there is no zakaat on them (unless they are for trade purposes).

There is also no equity on a house you live in, as it is considered a basic need.

KAWA4355
04-29-2020, 02:40 PM
Thank you. What about a residential plot if it is paid off and lying idle?

AabiruSabeel
04-29-2020, 03:38 PM
Please see https://www.islamicboard.com/worship...-new-post.html if you speak Urdu.

Zakat ke Aham Masail [URDU] - زکوٰۃ کے اہم مسائل
السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته. زکوٰۃ سے متعلق موجودہ وقت کی مناسبت سے بہت ہی اہم اور جامع معلومات۔ عنوان : زکوٰۃ کے اہم مسائل - کب فرض ہوتی ہے۔؟ - کو...

moinudin
04-30-2020, 06:40 AM
There is no Zakaat. The only case in which zakaat is wajib on property (land and/or building) is if the property is purchased with the intention of sale. This intention must exist at the time of purchase for Zakaat to be wajib. If you happen to sell it later, that does not make Zakaat wajib as it was not your initial purchase intention.

KAWA4355
04-30-2020, 05:35 PM
Thank you.

KAWA4355
05-02-2020, 01:25 AM
For anyone in USA, is there any zakaat on your 401K retirement? I say anyone in USA because outsiders will not understand 401K retirement plan. No offense intended.

Regards
Wasif

moinudin
05-02-2020, 05:39 AM
I have a US (California) 401k. I got advice from a scholar last year, and he said that Zakaat is wajib. You have the choice of either paying annually or at the time of withdrawal. I think it's generally recommended to pay annualy if you can, but I can't speak to why.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.