/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Swallowing water accidentally while fasting (Hanafi)

Mr.Muslimbro
04-28-2020, 03:47 PM
I’m having lots of anxiety during fasting, I have OCD. Does anybody happen to know anything about Hanafi fiqh? I’m trying to follow that and they say that accidentally swallowing water breaks the fast, but they do excuse certain situations like if you accidentally swallow rain water if I’m correct. The thing is I do my best to not swallow any water during wudu but I still feel like I swallow some small drops as I feel a coolness and wetness running down my throat sometimes. It happened today, I spat out water during wudu and my mouth was filling with saliva and I swallowed it thinking there was virtually no water left but then I felt water in my throat. I’d just like to know if anybody here follows Hanafi fiqh and what you would do in this situation? Is this water excused? If this is not excused, then I’ll seek a dispensation from the other schools that excuse any accidental swallowing of water, as this is getting too hard. I would just rather not have to take a dispensation if not necessary. My mind goes on overload thinking about these things : /

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Desert
04-28-2020, 04:35 PM
As Salam alaikum

Here brother it does not break your fast

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/muftionline/131208

Swallowing the moisture on one's lips after wudhu while fasting - IslamQA
Swallowing the moisture on one’s lips after wudhu while fasting...

moinudin
04-29-2020, 05:34 AM
Asalaam alaikum brother

I'm busy studying fasting rules in Hanafi fiqh, and I can assure you that it's a lot harder to break ones fast than most people think. As the other brother shared, water left in lips does not break your fast. Nor does a little way water left in the mouth. Just avoid swallowing water intentionally.

Mr.Muslimbro
04-30-2020, 06:04 PM
Do you know if swallowing rain water breaks the fast? I went outside to help carry some groceries and it was raining a bit outside. A very small drop of rain entered my mouth while I was carrying then and I swallowed it, thinking it was excused. I then read online that swallowing rain water is excused and I also read somewhere that it requires kaffarah. I feel like killing myself as I’m already exhausted from before and the thought of having to fast 60 days makes me want to die right now as I cannot take this anymore. Whenever I try to be easy on myself I’m wrong and it breaks my fast and whenever I am to strict it turns out I should’ve been easier on myself. If you are studying or are in contact with scholars could you ask and find out?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
moinudin
04-30-2020, 06:53 PM
Swallowing rainwater accidently does not break the fast. You have to swallow it intentionally, in other words do so being fully aware of what you are doing, conscious that it will break your fast, for it to break the fast.

Al-Ansariyah
04-30-2020, 06:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mr.Muslimbro
Do you know if swallowing rain water breaks the fast? I went outside to help carry some groceries and it was raining a bit outside. A very small drop of rain entered my mouth while I was carrying then and I swallowed it, thinking it was excused. I then read online that swallowing rain water is excused and I also read somewhere that it requires kaffarah. I feel like killing myself as I’m already exhausted from before and the thought of having to fast 60 days makes me want to die right now as I cannot take this anymore. Whenever I try to be easy on myself I’m wrong and it breaks my fast and whenever I am to strict it turns out I should’ve been easier on myself. If you are studying or are in contact with scholars could you ask and find out?
If u didn't know about it, then ur fast is valid.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.