/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Division in Islam

CopyCat
04-28-2020, 06:47 PM
A couple minutes ago, I just watched a video of Dr. Zakir Naik addressing the Shi'a and the Sunni division. And he said that in Islam there are simply no division; and used the verse from Surah Al-An'am Ch: 6 Verse: 159 and said "The people who created a division in Islam, has nothing to do with Islam," or something along those lines. Now what I'm wondering is, what about all the different Madhabs? Are they considered divisions? Are Imam Shafi'i or Imam Hanbali somehow responsible for the so-called divisions?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
04-28-2020, 07:05 PM
The differences between madhabs and opinions of the scholars do not take you out of the folds of Islam. It's not the madhabs and opinions that cause divide. It's the argumentative layman who has little to no understanding of tolerance.

Imam ash-Shafi'i famously said the following:

Yunus al-Sadafi reported: I have not seen anyone wiser than Al-Shafi’i, may Allah be pleased with him. I debated him one day over an issue, and then we separated. He later met me and took my hand, then he said, “O Abu Musa, can we not continue to be brothers, even if we disagree on an issue?”
Source: Sharḥ Musnad al-Shāfiʻī 1/16
عن يونس الصدفي مَا رَأَيْتُ أَعْقَلَ مِنَ الشَّافِعِيِّ رضي الله عنه نَاظَرْتُهُ يَوْمًا فِي مَسْأَلَةٍ ثُمَّ افْتَرَقْنَا وَلَقِيَنِي فَأَخَذَ بِيَدِي ثُمَّ قَالَ يَا أَبَا مُوسَى أَلَا يَسْتَقِيمُ أَنْ نَكُونَ إِخْوَانًا وَإِنْ لَمْ نَتَّفِقْ فِي مَسْأَلَةٍ

1/16 شرح مسند الشافعي

In other words, despite the differences of opinion Islam still calls for Muslims to stay united.

Caplets
04-28-2020, 07:07 PM
السلام عليكم

Welcome to the forums. I hope your ramadaan is going well.

What is the predominant madhab in your area? The following links might be useful, insha-Allaah.

- The Evolution of Fiqh - History of The Madhāhib

The Evolution of Fiqh - History of The Madhāhib

- "...One of the Hanafi fuqaha’ came to me and said..."

https://www.islamicboard.com/miscell...ml#post3018507

- The Meaning of Splitting-up

https://www.islamicboard.com/miscell...-new-post.html

- The Difference Between Splitting (Iftirāq) and Differing (Ikthilāf)

https://www.islamicboard.com/miscell...-new-post.html

- Caplets

Caplets
04-28-2020, 07:19 PM
From the words of the Shaykh , al-'Allāmah, Hamood bin 'Uqalā' Ash-Shu'aybī (may Allāh have mercy on him):

"Question: What do you – may Allāh safeguard you – say in relation to belonging the Islamic groups?

Shaykh Hamood replied: The Muslimūn are one group and one party; they are those who are upon the Book and the Sunnah. However, it is these groups today that have weakened the da’wah and divided the ummah into various sects and parties. So this is the Tablighī group; this is the Salafī group – those who falsely attribute themselves to Salafīyyah – and this is the Ikhwān group, and so on.

Those who agree with the Book and the Sunnah from these various groups are the ones upon the truth. In terms of dispersion, fragmentation, and separation, then this evil happened from the enemies of the Muslimīn; because the enemies of Islām realize that the authentic Islām poses a danger to them. Due to that they make efforts to divide the Muslimīn so that the Muslimīn do not become established.

This separation is not permissible and weakens the ummah; it is obligatory upon everyone to unite upon the Book and the Sunnah, and to give aid among the Muslimīn. As for every group who curses and insults the other, then it is erroneous and not permissible. He (ta‘ālā) said, “ And hold fast, all of you together, to the Rope of Allah (i.e. this Qur'ān), and be not divided among yourselves, and remember Allāh's Favour on you, for you were enemies one to another but He joined your hearts together, so that, by His Grace, you became brethren (in Islamic Faith)1..." And He (ta‘ālā) said, "And verily, this 2 is my Straight Path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His Path. This He has ordained for you that you may become Al-Muttaqūn." 3

The Muslimīn being united is a root of strength and honor, along with a means for victory...." - End quote

-----------------
Original Arabic : http://www.al-oglaa.com/?section=subject&SubjectID=21

1. Āle Imrān (3), 103.
2. i.e. Allāh's Commandments mentioned in the above two Verses 151 and 152.
3. Al-An'ām (6), 153.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CopyCat
05-01-2020, 02:47 PM
Thank you to everyone that answered, sorry for the late reply. I really appreciate it since I've been trying to read a lot of Islamic History during Ramadan I kind of have to understand that too. Thanks again to everyone who took to the time to answer, may Allah bless you all.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.