/* */

PDA

View Full Version : assalamualaikum, is ludo haram in islam? If yes then why with reference & reasons plz

HibaAdil
04-29-2020, 07:22 PM
Assalamualaikum i would like to ask is ludo haram in islam?
If yes then why? If possible with references and reasons please.
Also im new here so dont know much please if anyone can respond
And let me know. JazakAllah...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al-Ansariyah
04-29-2020, 10:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HibaAdil
Assalamualaikum i would like to ask is ludo haram in islam?
If yes then why? If possible with references and reasons please.
Also im new here so dont know much please if anyone can respond
And let me know. JazakAllah...
Walekumassalam

Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-As: The Prophet صلی -اللہ -علیہ -وسلم forbade wine (khamr), game of chance (maysir), drum (kubah), and wine made from millet (ghubayrah), saying: Every intoxicant is forbidden. Abu Dawud said: Ibn Sallam Abu Ubaid said: Ghubairah was an intoxicant liquor made from millet. This wine was made by the Abyssinians. (Sunan abu dawood 3685)( sahih).

moinudin
04-30-2020, 06:59 AM
I'm not entirely sure, but I think that verse refers to gambling where money is involved. If you're playing Ludo without money, then in Hanafi fiqh I think it is technically allowed as long as it doesn't distract you from performing Fard and Wajib acts (salah etc). Be careful to limit your playing time though.

A good read on this topic: https://islamqa.org/hanafi/qibla-hanafi/35515

The Fiqh of Sports and Games - IslamQA
The Fiqh of Sports and Games...

seekingknowledge
05-02-2020, 09:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by moinudin
I'm not entirely sure, but I think that verse refers to gambling where money is involved. If you're playing Ludo without money, then in Hanafi fiqh I think it is technically allowed as long as it doesn't distract you from performing Fard and Wajib acts (salah etc). Be careful to limit your playing time though.

A good read on this topic: https://islamqa.org/hanafi/qibla-hanafi/35515

The Fiqh of Sports and Games - IslamQA
The Fiqh of Sports and Games...
I get you like trying to build family bonds maybe?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
moinudin
05-04-2020, 06:18 AM
Possibly but I don't know enough to say for sure. There is an example I have of my fellow Islamic students entering a soccer league with similar intentions (bonding, and also exercise) and the scholars teaching us didn't stop them which makes me believe it's OK (with good intentions).

CuriousonTruth
05-04-2020, 06:58 AM
I know Backgammon is haram. Backgammon uses dice. Ludo also uses dice so I guess maybe?

moinudin
05-04-2020, 07:31 AM
Good point. This lead me to find this saying of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم: "Whoever plays with dice, it is as if he were dipping his hand in the flesh and blood of a pig." This post concludes that Ludo is actually haraam:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/islamqa...answers/181642

seekingknowledge
05-04-2020, 01:34 PM
Why is backgammon haram?

taha_
05-04-2020, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seekingknowledge
Why is backgammon haram?
Hadith

حَدَّثَنَا مُسَدَّدٌ، حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى، عَنْ سُفْيَانَ، عَنْ عَلْقَمَةَ بْنِ مَرْثَدٍ، عَنْ سُلَيْمَانَ بْنِ بُرَيْدَةَ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، عَنِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏

‏ مَنْ لَعِبَ بِالنَّرْدَشِيرِ فَكَأَنَّمَا غَمَسَ يَدَهُ فِي لَحْمِ خِنْزِيرٍ وَدَمِهِ ‏"

‏ ‏‏

Buraidah reported the Prophet (ﷺ) as saying :

If anyone plays backgammon, he sinks his hand in the flesh of swine and its blood.

Sahih (Al-Albani)

Sunan Abi Dawud 4939
In-book : Book 43, Hadith 167
English translation : Book 42, Hadith 4921
Abu Dawood

Hadith

حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ مَسْلَمَةَ، عَنْ مَالِكٍ، عَنْ مُوسَى بْنِ مَيْسَرَةَ، عَنْ سَعِيدِ بْنِ أَبِي هِنْدٍ، عَنْ أَبِي مُوسَى الأَشْعَرِيِّ، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏

‏ مَنْ لَعِبَ بِالنَّرْدِ فَقَدْ عَصَى اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ ‏"

‏ ‏‏

Narrated Abu Musa al-Ash'ari:

The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: He who plays backgammon disobeys Allah and His Apostle.

Hasan (Al-Albani)

Sunan Abi Dawud 4938
In-book : Book 43, Hadith 166
English translation : Book 42, Hadith 4920
Abu Dawood

seekingknowledge
05-04-2020, 01:44 PM
Yes but what is the reasoning please simplify not quotes from the hadith please I get confused.

It's a complicated game I never played it and I never get it.
Same goes for chess I don't understand why it's haram.
I don't know how to play it.
I know I heard it was something that it waste time and it uses cunning tactics.

We as a family we've always played Monopoly and we played Scrabble.

Draughts (Americans call it checkers) is that alright?

What games are permissible and what aren't?

CuriousonTruth
05-04-2020, 02:21 PM
Why is backgammon haram?
I guess it's because of dice and playing with chance?

I just remembered Monopoly was one of my favourite child-hood games as well. So.....

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but what is the reasoning please simplify not quotes from the hadith please I get confused.

It's a complicated game I never played it and I never get it.
Same goes for chess I don't understand why it's haram.
I don't know how to play it.
I know I heard it was something that it waste time and it uses cunning tactics.

We as a family we've always played Monopoly and we played Scrabble.

Draughts (Americans call it checkers) is that alright?

What games are permissible and what aren't?
Chess isn't haram. Some scholars say it is haram because of the rule on Backgammon, but Backgammon and chess are completely different games, but scholars who've never played them would obviously not know the difference. For them, all board games are haram.

Backgammon is the only game explicitly said to be haram. Horse racing are the only game explicitly halal. Anything else are based on deductions from other texts and opinions.

seekingknowledge
05-04-2020, 02:36 PM
What?!!!
Gambling on horse racing is halal?!
How.
Yes Arabs do that don't they

- - - Updated - - -

I've been told chess is haram?
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1409...-playing-chess

CuriousonTruth
05-04-2020, 10:09 PM
What?!!!
Gambling on horse racing is halal?!
How.
Yes Arabs do that don't they

- - - Updated - - -

I've been told chess is haram?
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1409...-playing-chess

Arabs do gamble. But the act of horse racing itself isn't haram, and it's the only game the arabs during the Prophet(S)'s time played which wasn't haram.

Did you read the ruling yourself? They use verse of intoxicants for chess. I'm not even going to waste my time here, but I don't think these people realize what chess or intoxicants are at this point. Alcohol and drugs are intoxicants which can mix with your blood, chess doesn't do that.

And for anyone reading this, while chess is fun, most of the times, people don't play more than 1 round because it can be stressful sometimes.

seekingknowledge
05-05-2020, 03:10 AM
@eesathekiwi as we're on the same beliefs is chess haram? I've been told it is.

Jazakallah khrun.

eesa the kiwi
05-05-2020, 03:28 AM
@eesathekiwi as we're on the same beliefs is chess haram? I've been told it is.

Jazakallah khrun.
I dont know sorry. I've seen differing opinions both have evidences. Personally I avoid it as it is doubtful but I dont have the knowledge to say halal or haram

MazharShafiq
05-05-2020, 06:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by user123name
Walekumassalam

Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-As: The Prophet صلی -اللہ -علیہ -وسلم forbade wine (khamr), game of chance (maysir), drum (kubah), and wine made from millet (ghubayrah), saying: Every intoxicant is forbidden. Abu Dawud said: Ibn Sallam Abu Ubaid said: Ghubairah was an intoxicant liquor made from millet. This wine was made by the Abyssinians. (Sunan abu dawood 3685)( sahih).
according to this hadeth it is haram?

moinudin
05-05-2020, 06:41 AM
I found https://www.scribd.com/document/3320...a-Yusuf-Hanson which covers the question of chess in depth. In short, it says there is indeed a difference of opinion, which I'd summarise as saying that Shafi says it's discouraged but not prohibited; the other three main imams say it's dissalowed but not the same as haraam; and there are some scholars that say it is permissible.

I reiterate my aforementioned warning that you should follow whatever your madhab says. The safest thing would be to avoid chess, but we also shouldn't prohibit what isn't prohibited under our madhab.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.