/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do I identify my intentions?

immuslimah
05-14-2020, 05:23 PM
I am having a problem. I am not sure of my intentions. I feel like my mind is blank when i try to make intentions. And If i intend something good, it gets mixed with the whispers of shaitan and I get confused what was my intention. This is so frustrating. I try to be patient but how much should I wait? It's stopping me from doing good deeds for Allah's sake and gain reward. I even asked a sheikh about this and he said 'I don't think that it is possible'. I felt really sad by his reply.
Sometimes I forget to make intentions and when I realize it while doing the deed, I regret so much. This problem has increased so much that nowadays I have to speak my intentions. I seek refuge from shaitan but then my mind gets blank. I am feeling as if Allah is angry.
I always feel like I didn't intend anything or my intention is not good. I have been making dua and being patient. I am not complaining but till my dua gets fulfilled, what should I do if i do some deed?
If you understand this, then please suggest something. I desperately need help.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
taha_
05-14-2020, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by immuslimah
I am having a problem. I am not sure of my intentions. I feel like my mind is blank when i try to make intentions. And If i intend something good, it gets mixed with the whispers of shaitan and I get confused what was my intention. This is so frustrating. I try to be patient but how much should I wait? It's stopping me from doing good deeds for Allah's sake and gain reward. I even asked a sheikh about this and he said 'I don't think that it is possible'. I felt really sad by his reply.
Sometimes I forget to make intentions and when I realize it while doing the deed, I regret so much. This problem has increased so much that nowadays I have to speak my intentions. I seek refuge from shaitan but then my mind gets blank. I am feeling as if Allah is angry.
I always feel like I didn't intend anything or my intention is not good. I have been making dua and being patient. I am not complaining but till my dua gets fulfilled, what should I do if i do some deed?
Assalam o Alaikum rahamutullahi wa barakuthu.

Allah is All-Knowing, He knows what is revealed and what is hidden. He knows our heart. If it was not your intention to do evil, then in sha Allah you will be excused.

Recite this beauitful dua of Ibrahim and Ishamel peace be upon them when you have done good deeds, it is in Qur'an (Surah Baqarah 127)

"Our Lord, accept [this] from us. Indeed You are the Hearing, the Knowing.

that nowadays I have to speak my intentions
Intentions is only said in your heart not verbally. Prophet peace be upon him and his compainons never made intention verbally.

Reflect upon these hadiths.

“Verily Allah has written down the good deeds and the evil deeds”, and then explained it [by saying]: “Whosoever intended to perform a good deed, but did not do it, then Allah writes it down with Himself as a complete good deed. And if he intended to perform it and did perform it, then Allah writes it down with Himself as from ten good deeds up to seven hundred fold, up to many times multiplied. And if he intended to perform an evil deed, but did not do it, then Allah writes it down with Himself as a complete good deed. And if he intended it [i.e., the evil deed] and then performed it, then Allah writes it down as one evil deed.”
[Reported by Bukhari & Muslim]

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "Allah says, 'If My slave intends to do a bad deed then (O Angels) do not write it unless he does it; if he does it, then write it as it is, but if he refrains from doing it for My Sake, then write it as a good deed (in his account). (On the other hand) if he intends to do a good deed, but does not do it, then write a good deed (in his account), and if he does it, then write it for him (in his account) as ten good deeds up to seven-hundred times.' "

حَدَّثَنَا قُتَيْبَةُ بْنُ سَعِيدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا الْمُغِيرَةُ بْنُ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ، عَنْ أَبِي الزِّنَادِ، عَنِ الأَعْرَجِ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ "‏ يَقُولُ اللَّهُ إِذَا أَرَادَ عَبْدِي أَنْ يَعْمَلَ سَيِّئَةً فَلاَ تَكْتُبُوهَا عَلَيْهِ حَتَّى يَعْمَلَهَا، فَإِنْ عَمِلَهَا فَاكْتُبُوهَا بِمِثْلِهَا وَإِنْ تَرَكَهَا مِنْ أَجْلِي فَاكْتُبُوهَا لَهُ حَسَنَةً وَإِذَا أَرَادَ أَنْ يَعْمَلَ حَسَنَةً فَلَمْ يَعْمَلْهَا فَاكْتُبُوهَا لَهُ حَسَنَةً، فَإِنْ عَمِلَهَا فَاكْتُبُوهَا لَهُ بِعَشْرِ أَمْثَالِهَا إِلَى سَبْعِمِائَةٍ ‏"‏‏.‏

Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 7501

See how Generous is Allah. if His slave intended to do evil but didn't do it, then Allah writes it as comptele good deed.

JazakAllah khair

immuslimah
05-14-2020, 06:21 PM
Actually I am not able to identify my intentions. What's the difference between intention and whispers? I always feel like I am doing certain deed just to show off.

immuslimah
05-14-2020, 08:10 PM
Please someone help me

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
immuslimah
05-14-2020, 09:45 PM
Please someone help me
????

Studentofdeed
05-14-2020, 10:42 PM
As long you intend for Allah to be happy then I am sure your intention is pure. Sometimes the devil comes and whispers that you did not do this for Allah but that is just to bother you. If people see you do a good deed, that was not your fault but out of your control. I'm sure you gave good intentions. May Allah make it easier for you

Hamza Asadullah
05-15-2020, 04:45 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Having the right intentions is a difference between getting the full reward of a deed, only a part of it or none at all.

The Prophet (Sallalahu alaihi Wasallam) said: “Allah does not accept any deed except that which is done only for Him and to seek His Countenance.” (al-Nasaa’i, 3140)

“Verily actions are judged by intention.” [Al-Bukhaari, Muslim]

Therefore It is crucial that we purify & correct our intentions before doing any acts of worship and ensure it is for the pleasure of Allah alone otherwise it will be rejected. Not only that but we will have to answer for those deeds that we did for those other than Allah's pleasure. So it is recommended that we check our intentions often and try our best to ensure our intentions do not get corrupted by doing a deed for reasons other than Allah's pleasure such as to show off or to get recognition from others or praise and status in this world.

Therefore we must repent often asking of Allah to forgive us for any corrupt intentions and to accept our deeds in full. This is because we may have other underlying intentions in our hearts without even realising it. Like for e.g. we may have in our hearts that we fast because we don’t want to look bad in front of our family or friends or we just fast because other peoe around us and and we don't want to stand out etc.

So before doing any good deed we need to align & focus our intention to only pleasing Allah and ask him to forgive any short comings in our intentions. Also know that intentions are made in the heart, however if it helps you at times to write down intentions or recite it quietly to yourself to help you establish your intentions then there is nothing wrong with that. However be careful not to go to extreme that you begin to allow Wasawasa (insinuating whispers of shaythan) to creep in and make you obsessive about it. We should make our good intentions in our hearts and do as many good deeds as we can and ask Allah to forgive us for any short comings in our intentions. We must never allow waswasa to prevent us from doing good actions because waswasa becomes a big burden when it comes to doing good deeds.

Another important point to mention is that one is rewarded as much as the number of good intentions they have for a particular good deed. By having a number of good intentions for each good deed then we are earning much greater rewards for a particular good deed than if we only had one good intention. For eg. For voluntary fasting on Mondays and Thursdays then our intentions could be: We are fasting to please Allah, we are fasting on a day that voluntary fasting is Sunnah, we are fasting to bring good health to our bodies which is an Amaanah from Allah, we are fasting to develop taqwa, to develop closeness to Allah, to reduce the amount we eat so it can lighten our bodies for worship of Allah. Do you see how for one good deed we can make many good intentions and earn much greater rewards.

Ibn Al-Mubaarak (Ra) said:“Maybe a small action is made great by its intention, and maybe a great action is made small by its intention.”

Even daily routines like eating, drinking, sleeping, waking up, traveling etc can be a source of great rewards by having the right intentions and a number of good intentions. Having good Intentions is easy & great rewards can be gained without making any hard physical effort. By just spending a couple of seconds having the right intention in our hearts we can turn a whole normal day into a day full of huge rewards for actions which are part of normal day to day life.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.