/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is it sinfully abusing the body by staying up all night for fajr?

SintoDinto
05-26-2020, 05:54 AM
While on quarantine unemployed student routine mode? post-ramadan? much of it doesn't have to do with ramadan anyway, i was doing this before ramadan. i either sleep 16 hours straight or stay up all night so i dont miss fajr, then sleeping a shortwhile after fajr. would the latter be abusing my body that Allah has trusted me with? also, do i still get my prayers answered as much for tahajjud if i do it without sleep? in this case?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
moinudin
05-26-2020, 06:27 AM
If you feel as though you are able to pray Fajr adequately without feeling sluggish, I'd say it's OK. I often do this myself.

You need to sleep after praying Isha for Tahajjud to be valid. Even falling asleep for a moment counts. Otherwise it is a regular Nafl.

Hamza Asadullah
05-26-2020, 07:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by moinudin
If you feel as though you are able to pray Fajr adequately without feeling sluggish, I'd say it's OK. I often do this myself.

You need to sleep after praying Isha for Tahajjud to be valid. Even falling asleep for a moment counts. Otherwise it is a regular Nafl.
Assalamu Alaikum,

Just to clarify that you do not have to sleep in order to pray Tahajjud although it is better and more rewarding to do so. You can pray Tahajjud after Isha Salah if you are not able to awaken in the last third of the night.

However it is better to sleep after Isha and awaken for Tahajjud in the last third of the night even if you awaken shortly before Fajr begins and pray 2 Rakah. The Dua just before Fajr begins is readily accepted inshaAllah.

And Allah knows best in all matters

moinudin
05-27-2020, 07:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza Asadullah
Just to clarify that you do not have to sleep in order to pray Tahajjud although it is better and more rewarding to do so.
Do you have evidence to back that up? My understanding is that without sleep you are just praying salaat-ul-layl, which doesn't have anywhere near the same spiritual reward. I mysel have felt the difference in how I have felt between reading after sleep and without sleep.

I did a bit of research just now, and a couple sources indicate a potential difference of opinion amongst scholars, but I can't find anything concrete.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
moinudin
05-27-2020, 07:44 AM
I was reading the Quaran and what can I say but الحمد لله, Allah made me turn to a verse that answers this question. Surah Bani Israel verse 79 says:

وَمِنَ الَّيْلِ فَتَهَجَّدْ بِهٖ نَا فِلَةً لَّكَ ۖ عَسٰۤى اَنْ يَّبْعَـثَكَ رَبُّكَ مَقَا مًا مَّحْمُوْدًا

The tafseer mentions the words used are وَمِنَ الَّيْل this makes sleep a requirement. My interpretation (and Allah knows best) is that this means that you must wake up from the night. If sleep was not a requirement, I would expect في to be used.

Hamza Asadullah
05-27-2020, 10:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by moinudin
I was reading the Quaran and what can I say but الحمد لله, Allah made me turn to a verse that answers this question. Surah Bani Israel verse 79 says:

وَمِنَ الَّيْلِ فَتَهَجَّدْ بِهٖ نَا فِلَةً لَّكَ ۖ عَسٰۤى اَنْ يَّبْعَـثَكَ رَبُّكَ مَقَا مًا مَّحْمُوْدًا

The tafseer mentions the words used are وَمِنَ الَّيْل this makes sleep a requirement. My interpretation (and Allah knows best) is that this means that you must wake up from the night. If sleep was not a requirement, I would expect في to be used.
Assalamu Alaikum,

My brother Salatal Layl and Tahajjud are essentially the same prayer as they are prayed in the night. As I've stated it is far better to sleep and awaken to pray Tahajjud to gain the rewards of getting out of the comfort of one's bed and from deep sleep and although scholars have differed as to whether or not you can pray Tahajjud without sleeping the majority have accepted that it can be prayed without sleeping although it is far better to sleep and awaken for it to get the full rewards and benefits mentioned.

However if one is unable to sleep and awaken for it then it can be prayed after Isha before sleeping as this is accepted by the majority of scholars. Although the Dua just before dawn is readily accepted and is a means of getting closer to Allah.

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/askimam/14500

http://askimam.org/public/question_detail/18254

https://youtu.be/xLLNQzRtw6g

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.