/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sleep paralysis seeking insight

Colin
06-24-2020, 10:03 PM
hello,ill try and go into as much detail as i can here of the experience ive just hadim not a muslim and not religious at all which is why im curious to see what you guys think of this.

i was trapped in sleep paralysis for around 5 minutes when i woke up ealier and had an extremely vivid experience,
i felt as if someone was sat on my chest and choking me i was feeling actual pain in my chest and throat and pins and needles all over my bodyi have never listened to islamic verses but i could hear someone saying them in the background the same thing repeating its self throughout until i jolted awake
it wasnt a song it was someone saying the same thing over and over in arabic is what it sounded like.
i cant remember the words but it was short and repetetivethis carried on for the duration of my paralysisi couldnt open my eyes and saw nothing but black
just before i awoke the person spoke english to me and said something about a golden gate ontop of a wall or something along them lines.
after i woke up i just sat there for 10 minutes and could feel nothing but what i can describe as TV static all over my body.i have some specific questions,
ive had sleep paralysis before but never hearing what i heard like that and it was so vivid that i could remember it in this much detail when i woke up, is this common?is there something i can play or say to stop it or ward it off?has anyone got an idea of what it could be or have any insights into this? especially regarding the verses and the gate.and generally any input is appreciated because ive never experienced anything like this and dont really believe in this kind of stuff.
Many thanks,Adam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Iceee
06-25-2020, 01:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Colin
could feel nothing but what i can describe as TV static all over my body
Salaam brother Colin/Adam,

Welcome to our forums.

The source of this phenomenon is a natural bodily function. When you sleep, your brain shuts off the signals coming from your muscles so you do not get up and act out your dreams. This is to prevent you from injuring yourself in your sleep. For some reason, people with sleep paralysis come into consciousness before the brain returns voluntary control back to the muscles, creating a sense of feeling paralyzed. This sensation is quite uncomfortable and understandably frightening, which can lead the not wholly conscious person to experience some of the secondary symptoms of this disorder that can often be very frightening and realistic.

None of what you describe is strange, peculiar, or in the least bit exceptional. It is a benign condition. Several recent surveys suggest that between 25-30% of people have experienced at least a mild form of sleep paralysis at least once and about 20-30% of these people have experienced it on several occasions. However, if it is a frequent problem for you that is impairing your sleep or causing you discomfort, then you should seek medical attention for it. There are actually many treatments and prescriptions for this condition. Doctors suggest that getting on a regular sleep schedule and avoiding sleep deprivation are helpful in alleviating this condition.

I personally suggest praying before sleeping. Look into changing your diet and medication habits before bed. Whether it be to Allah or someone of your choice, it's best to pray and sleep with a sound mind. Make prayers for your friends, family, and all loved ones. We don't know what happens when we sleep, or if we will ever wake up conscious the next day.

Allah knows best.

Here are a few quotes from the hadith that you should read. You may find the english translation of the quran online and recite it before sleeping:

It was reported that Abu Hurayrah said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to tell us, when any one of us wanted to sleep, to lie on his right side, then say ‘Allaahumma Rabb al-samaawaati wa Rabb al-ard wa Rabb al-‘Arsh il-‘Azeem, Rabbana wa Rabba kulli shay’in, faaliq al-habb wa’l-nawa wa munazzil al-Tawraata wa’l-Injeeli wa’l-Furaan, a’oodhu bika min sharri kulli shay’in anta aakhidhun bi naasiyatihi. Allaahumma anta al-awwal fa laysaqablaka shay’un, wa anta al-aakhir fa laysa ba’daka shay’un. Wa anta al-zaahir fa laysa fawqaka shay’un wa anta al-baatin fa laysa doonaka shay’un. Iqdi ‘annaa al-dayna wa aghninaa min al-faqr (O Allaah, Lord of the heavens and the earth, and Lord of the Mighty Throne, our Lord and Lord of all things, Splitter of the seed and the date stone, Revealer of the Tawraat (Torah), the Injeel (Gospel) and the Furqaan (Qur’aan), I seek refuge in You from the evil of all things that You will seize by the forelock [i.e., have full control over them]. O Allaah, You are the First and there is nothing before You; You are the Last and there is nothing after You. You are the Manifest (al-Zaahir) and there is nothing above You; You are the Hidden (al-Baatin) and there is nothing beyond You. Settle our debt and spare us from poverty).’” (Narrated by Muslim, 2713).

It was reported that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Abu Bakr said: ‘O Messenger of Allaah, teach me something that I can say in the morning and in the evening.’ He said: ‘Say, Allaahumma ‘Aalim al-ghaybi wa’l-shahaadah, Faatir al-samawaati wa’l-ard, Rabba kulli shay’in wa maleekahu, ashhadu an laa ilaaha illa anta. A’oodhi bika min sharri nafsi wa min sharr il-shaytaan wa shirkih (O Allaah, Knower ofthe seen and the unseen, Creator of the heavens and the earth, Lord and Sovereign of all things, I bear witness that there is no god except You. I seek refuge in You from the evil of my own self and from the evil and shirk of the Shaytaan). Say this in the morning and in the evening, and when you go to bed.’” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 3392; Abu Dawood, 5067).

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.