/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Using Zakat for EID

sonny
07-16-2020, 03:20 PM
Assalamalecoum. Can you use zakat and divide it among some relatives who need a bit of help buying a lamb for eid? Can zakat be used that way?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abdullah
07-16-2020, 06:59 PM
Wa Alaikum Assalam Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

There are eight groups of people on whom Zakat should be spent, as mentioned in the Quran:
The alms are only for the Fuqara’ (the poor), and Al-Masakin (the needy) and those employed to collect (the funds); and to attract the hearts of those who have been inclined (towards Islam); and to free the captives; and for those in debt; and for Allah’s Cause, and for the wayfarer (a traveler who is cut off from everything); a duty imposed by Allah. And Allah is All-Knower, All-Wise. [Al-Quran 9:60]
&
They ask you as to what they should spend. Say: Whatever wealth you spend, it is for the parents and the near of kin and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer, and whatever good you do, Allah surely knows it. [Al-Quran 2:215]
&
(Alms are) for the poor who are confined in the way of Allah– they cannot go about in the land; the ignorant man thinks them to be rich on account of (their) abstaining (from begging); you can recognize them by their mark; they do not beg from men importunately; and whatever good thing you spend, surely Allah knows it. [Al-Quran 2:273]
&
And give to the near of kin his due and (to) the needy and the wayfarer, and do not squander wastefully. [Al-Quran 17:26]
  • Fuqaraa: Those who own property in excess of basic necessities but below the value of Nisab.
  • Masakeen: Persons of extreme poverty who possess no wealth whatsoever.
  • Aamileen: (Zakat collector) Those persons who are appointed by an Islamic Head of State or Government to collect Zakat. It is not necessary that this be a needy person.

• Muallafatul Quloob: Those poor and needy persons who are given Zakat with the intentions of solidifying their hearts because they maybe recently converted to Islam or to bring them closer to Islam.

• Ar-Riqaab: slaves whose masters have agreed to set them free on a payment of a fixed amount. Zakat may be used to purchase their freedom.

• Ibnus-Sabeel: A traveler, who, whilst wealthy at his residence, is stranded and in need of financial assistance.

• Al Ghaarimeen: A person whose debts exceeds his assets and his net assets (after deducting his liabilities) is below the Nisab limit. To determine whether a person qualifies, his basic necessities of life (house, furniture, clothes, vehicle, etc.) will not be taken into account. It is conditional that the debts were not created for any un-Islamic or sinful purpose.

• Fi Sabeelillah: Those who are away from home in the path of Allah. Those in Jihaad, those seeking knowledge or a stranded Haji may be assist with Zakat if they are in need.

For more detail refer to article below: https://islamqa.info/en/answers/4620...h-may-be-spent

Can you use zakat and divide it among some relatives who need a bit of help buying a lamb for eid? Can zakat be used that way?
Sacrificing an animal on Eid is not Fard ( obligatory) on someone who is not able to do so. If you just want to give them meat then why don't you sacrifice an animal and give a portion of meat to them?

sonny
07-16-2020, 08:27 PM

Sacrificing an animal on Eid is not Fard ( obligatory) on someone who is not able to do so. If you just want to give them meat then why don't you sacrifice an animal and give a portion of meat to them?
That's one of my dilemma. What i want to give them is not much enough to buy a full lamb but could help maybe for condiments or drinks or clothes for their kids. Things of that nature.

'Abdullah
07-16-2020, 08:35 PM
If they fall into one of the catagries I mentioned above then you can give Zakat ( if you are not sure then you can ask your local scholar or Imam), if not you can still give as Sadqa. Anything you will spend in this life to help others, you will find much more than that with Allah on the day when we will all need it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sonny
07-16-2020, 08:43 PM
Thank you for your responses. I am so confused by zakat . It worries me because it's mandatory and i keep giving them to relatives (uncles, aunts, older cousins). Relatives which shows from the look of it are not rich and always beg for help to me. So i just don't know if it's because i live oversees or if they are truthful. So i gave them and consider it my Zakat for the year.

'Abdullah
07-16-2020, 08:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sonny
Thank you for your responses. I am so confused by zakat . It worries me because it's mandatory and i keep giving them to relatives (uncles, aunts, older cousins). Relatives which shows from the look of it are not rich and always beg for help to me. So i just don't know if it's because i live oversees or if they are truthful. So i gave them and consider it my Zakat for the year.
It is very good that you spend money on your relatives and keep ties of kinship. According to a hadith this increases one's wealth and lifespan.

Abu Hurairah narrated that the Messenger of Allah said:
"Learn enough about your lineage to facilitate keeping your ties of kinship. For indeed keeping the ties of kinship encourages affection among the relatives, increases the wealth, and increases the lifespan."

حَدَّثَنَا أَحْمَدُ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ، أَخْبَرَنَا عَبْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ الْمُبَارَكِ، عَنْ عَبْدِ الْمَلِكِ بْنِ عِيسَى الثَّقَفِيِّ، عَنْ يَزِيدَ، مَوْلَى الْمُنْبَعِثِ عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، عَنِ النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏"‏ تَعَلَّمُوا مِنْ أَنْسَابِكُمْ مَا تَصِلُونَ بِهِ أَرْحَامَكُمْ فَإِنَّ صِلَةَ الرَّحِمِ مَحَبَّةٌ فِي الأَهْلِ مَثْرَاةٌ فِي الْمَالِ مَنْسَأَةٌ فِي الأَثَرِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ أَبُو عِيسَى هَذَا حَدِيثٌ غَرِيبٌ مِنْ هَذَا الْوَجْهِ ‏.‏ وَمَعْنَى قَوْلِهِ ‏"‏ مَنْسَأَةٌ فِي الأَثَرِ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ يَعْنِي زِيَادَةً فِي الْعُمُرِ ‏.‏

Grade: Hasan (Darussalam)
Reference: Jami` at-Tirmidhi 1979
In-book reference: Book 27, Hadith 85
English translation: Vol. 4, Book 1, Hadith 1979
https://sunnah.com/tirmidhi/27/85

My only concern is are these relatives eligible for Zakat - just make sure you verify this or simply ask them. If they say they are eligible for Zakat and someone from your family confirms this then you should be fine.

You should also know who in your relatives can take your Zakat and who can't. Zakat can be given to sisters, brothers, uncles, cousins, aunts, sons-in-law, mothers-in-law, fathers-in-law, brothers-in-law, daughters-in-law, and stepchildren, on condition that they are poor & eligible for Zakat. Zakat is NOT given to parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren, wives, and disbelievers. If you know any of your close relatives who are pious & eligible for Zakat, then it brings much more reward to give zakat to them than to give it to anyone else. If you do not have a pious relative, you should prefer other pious Muslims.

I hope you find this helpful.
Ma'aSalaam

sonny
07-16-2020, 09:24 PM
Yes, very helpful.

- - - Updated - - -

and thank you

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.