/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Different approaches to Qurbaani

Imraan
07-30-2020, 04:27 PM
Assalam Walaikum

Families give qurbani in different ways.

Some give a sheep and assign 1 name via Niyah and only submit one name to be written down (because they believe they are limited to the rule: one name per sheep or 7 names per cow/camel)

Some give a sheep and assign 7 names via Niyah but are limited to only submitting one name to the receiver to be written down

Some give cow or camel and assign 7 names via Niyah and have 7 names written down, i think this is the most common one, i may be wrong.

which method is correct? which one has errors?

The intentions should be to do the right thing,
The intention should be to do it correctly,
The intention should be to commit to our islamic obligations and duties (taking into consideration our circumstances off course)

Jazak Allah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abdullah
07-30-2020, 07:05 PM
Assalam O Alaikum WaRahmatullahi WaBarakatuhu brother Imran,

You can look into the thread below for more details, especially towards the end of my very first post which has more details and fiq related Q/A related to Udhiya ( Qurbani):
Month of Dhul Hijja - Some hadiths, virtues, rulings for Udhiya

if you don’t have time, the the simple answer is that you can sacrifice one animal on behalf of your entire family. The evidence is Hadith below:

It was narrated from ‘Aishah and Abu Hurairah that when the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) wanted to offer a sacrifice, he brought two large, fat, horned, black-and-white, castrated rams. He slaughtered one on behalf of his nation, for whoever testified to Allah with monotheism and that he had conveyed (the Message), and he slaughtered the other on behalf of Muhammad and the family of Muhammad (ﷺ).
حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ يَحْيَى، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الرَّزَّاقِ، أَنْبَأَنَا سُفْيَانُ الثَّوْرِيُّ، عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عَقِيلٍ، عَنْ أَبِي سَلَمَةَ، عَنْ عَائِشَةَ، وَعَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ ـ صلى الله عليه وسلم ـ كَانَ إِذَا أَرَادَ أَنْ يُضَحِّيَ اشْتَرَى كَبْشَيْنِ عَظِيمَيْنِ سَمِينَيْنِ أَقْرَنَيْنِ أَمْلَحَيْنِ مَوْجُوءَيْنِ فَذَبَحَ أَحَدَهُمَا عَنْ أُمَّتِهِ لِمَنْ شَهِدَ لِلَّهِ بِالتَّوْحِيدِ وَشَهِدَ لَهُ بِالْبَلاَغِ وَذَبَحَ الآخَرَ عَنْ مُحَمَّدٍ وَعَنْ آلِ مُحَمَّدٍ ـ صلى الله عليه وسلم ـ ‏.‏
Grade : Hasan (Darussalam)
English reference : Vol. 4, Book 26, Hadith 3122
Arabic reference : Book 26, Hadith 3241
https://sunnah.com/urn/1272250
and Q/A in the video below:

I also want to point out that Hanafi madhab has a different view. They consider udhiya has Wajib on every adult who has minimum Nisab to pay Zakat. However, other madhabs don’t consider Udhiya as Wajib. They consider it as Sunnah Mu’akada which means one should try to give Udhiya if they are able to and if they don’t then there is no sin but they may miss on huge reward.

And Allah knows the best!
Ma’aSalaam

Saira Khan
07-30-2020, 07:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Imraan
Assalam Walaikum

Families give qurbani in different ways.

Some give a sheep and assign 1 name via Niyah and only submit one name to be written down

Some give a sheep and assign 7 names via Niyah but are limited to only submitting one name to the receiver to be written down

Some give cow or camel and assign 7 names via Niyah and have 7 names written down, i think this is the most common one, i may be wrong.

which method is correct? which one has errors?

The intentions should be to do the right thing,
The intention should be to do it correctly,
The intention should be to commit to our islamic obligations and duties (taking into consideration our circumstances off course)

Jazak Allah
السلام علیکم و رحمتہ اللہ و برکاتہ

I actually did not understand your post exactly. Are you trying to ask something in specific about Qurbaani (Animal Sacrifice) OR trying to tell something about that?

JazakAllah

'Abdullah
07-30-2020, 07:07 PM
This video may also answer most of your questions and also discuss difference of opinion in madhabs on this issue. Please feel free to ask if anything still needs clarification.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IslamLife00
07-30-2020, 07:22 PM
Wa 'alaykumussalaam wa rahmatullah

Being the only muslim in the family, I have never thought about this so jazakAllah for asking, it made me search for the answer. I found this info below inshaAllah it's sufficient.

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/3638...yah-sufficient

If a man sacrifices a single sheep or goat on behalf of himself and his family, that will suffice for everyone he intended of his family, whether living or deceased. If he did not intend anything specific then it includes all those who are included in this word (family or household) either customarily or linguistically. Customarily it refers to all those whom he supports of wives, children and relatives; linguistically it includes all those who are related to him of his own children and the descendents of his father, grandfather and great-grandfather.
One-seventh of a camel or cow is equivalent to one sheep; if a man sacrifices one-seventh of a camel or cow on behalf of himself and his family, that is sufficient, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said that one-seventh of a camel or cow takes the place of a sheep in the case of the hadiy (sacrifice offered during Hajj), so that applies also to the udhiyah because there is no difference between the udhiyah and the hadiy in this regard.

If two or more people buy a sheep and sacrifice it, that is not sufficient, because no such thing has been narrated in the Qur’aan and Sunnah. Similarly if eight or more people share one camel or one cow, that is not sufficient (but it is permissible for seven people to share a camel or cow), because acts of worship are as prescribed in the Qur’aan and Sunnah and are not subject to personal opinion; it is not permissible to go beyond the set limits with regard to how much is to be done or the way in which it is to be done. This does not have to do with including others in the reward, because it was narrated that there is no limit to the number of people on whose behalf the sacrifice may be offered.

Imraan
07-30-2020, 09:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Saira Khan
السلام علیکم و رحمتہ اللہ و برکاتہ

I actually did not understand your post exactly. Are you trying to ask something in specific about Qurbaani (Animal Sacrifice) OR trying to tell something about that?

JazakAllah
Walaikum Salaam sister

I am asking about animal sacrifice, people do it in different ways.

how do you give yours?

Saira Khan
07-30-2020, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Imraan
Walaikum Salaam sister

I am asking about animal sacrifice, people do it in different ways.

how do you give yours?
Well, since I am earning and can give, so I give a sheep (Mendha) which can be with the niyah of only 1 person that is me, and my father as head of the family gives a cow with the niyah of names of the rest of family members (5 persons including minors). Yes you are right as usually small animal for 1 person and cow or camel for 7 persons in general. The above answers have well explained it, may Allah SWT give them reward for their explanations.
Stay blessed and Eid Mubarak !

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!