/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to remedy this situation?

anonymous
08-10-2020, 12:11 PM
I complain alot of people's wrongdoing. However I always try to be honest and never lie or slander them. If we spoke bad of someone unintentionally or slandered someone. Is there a way to make it up? What we are always try to be careful but are unsure if we spoke ill or made something false up? Will Allah remind us of your wrongdoings or do we have to try to remember ourselves ? Because I'm trying to remember but I don't remember.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Islami.Mu'mina
08-11-2020, 01:22 PM
I actually made a post similar to this. https://www.islamicboard.com/general...ml#post3030950
No one replied.
I rant about people who annoy me, very often. I'm trying to see if it counts as backbiting, which it probably does.

Questions on backbiting
Hey im confused on this topic. If you are ranting/complaining to a friend about someone being annoying, is this backbiting? Or if you are basically tal...

- - - Updated - - -

However, if you have backbited or slandered, you are supposed to start saying good things about the person. I don't have sources but I'm pretty sure I heard it in a lecture

'Abdullah
08-11-2020, 04:07 PM
Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) as saying:
Do you know what is backbiting?
They (the Companions) said: Allah and His Messenger know best.
Thereupon the Holy Prophet said: Backbiting implies your talking about your brother in a manner which he does not like.
It was said to him: What is your opinion about this that if I actually find (that failing) in my brother which I made a mention of?
He said: If (that failing) is actually found (in him) what you assert, you in fact backbited him, and if that is not in him it is a slander.

حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى بْنُ أَيُّوبَ، وَقُتَيْبَةُ، وَابْنُ، حُجْرٍ قَالُوا حَدَّثَنَا إِسْمَاعِيلُ، عَنِ الْعَلاَءِ، عَنْ أَبِيهِ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏"‏ أَتَدْرُونَ مَا الْغِيبَةُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالُوا اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ أَعْلَمُ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ ذِكْرُكَ أَخَاكَ بِمَا يَكْرَهُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قِيلَ أَفَرَأَيْتَ إِنْ كَانَ فِي أَخِي مَا أَقُولُ قَالَ ‏"‏ إِنْ كَانَ فِيهِ مَا تَقُولُ فَقَدِ اغْتَبْتَهُ وَإِنْ لَمْ يَكُنْ فِيهِ فَقَدْ بَهَتَّهُ ‏"‏ ‏.‏
Reference: Sahih Muslim 2589
In-book reference: Book 45, Hadith 91
USC-MSA web (English) reference: Book 32, Hadith 6265
https://sunnah.com/muslim/45/91

From hadith above we learn that backbiting means speaking about a Muslim in his absence and saying things that he would not like to have spread around or mentioned. Slander means saying things about a Muslim that are not true, or in other words telling lies about him. So basic difference between backbiting and slander is that while slandering we say things about a person which are not true; while backbiting we say things about a Muslim which are true but he would not like to make those things public.
If someone is doing something bad and it is not harming anyone then we should try to hide their sins. However, if someone does something bad and it harms others then we should testify against them and let their evils be known in the society to protect others.
Everyone who does any kind of backbiting, slander has to repent and pray for forgiveness, and that is between him and Allah. If he knows that any of his words reached the person about whom he was speaking, then he should go to him and ask him to forgive him. But if he does not know, then he should not tell him; rather he should pray for forgiveness for him and make du’a(supplication) for him, and speak well of him in his absence just as he spoke against him. Similarly, if he knows that telling him will provoke more enmity, then it is sufficient to make du’a for him, speak well of him and pray for forgiveness for him.

Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "Whoever has wronged his brother, should ask for his pardon (before his death), as (in the Hereafter) there will be neither a Dinar nor a Dirham. (He should secure pardon in this life) before some of his good deeds are taken and paid to his brother, or, if he has done no good deeds, some of the bad deeds of his brother are taken to be loaded on him (in the Hereafter).

حَدَّثَنَا إِسْمَاعِيلُ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنِي مَالِكٌ، عَنْ سَعِيدٍ الْمَقْبُرِيِّ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، أَنَّ رَسُولَ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ ‏ "‏ مَنْ كَانَتْ عِنْدَهُ مَظْلَمَةٌ لأَخِيهِ فَلْيَتَحَلَّلْهُ مِنْهَا، فَإِنَّهُ لَيْسَ ثَمَّ دِينَارٌ وَلاَ دِرْهَمٌ مِنْ قَبْلِ أَنْ يُؤْخَذَ لأَخِيهِ مِنْ حَسَنَاتِهِ، فَإِنْ لَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُ حَسَنَاتٌ أُخِذَ مِنْ سَيِّئَاتِ أَخِيهِ، فَطُرِحَتْ عَلَيْهِ ‏"‏‏.‏
Reference: Sahih al-Bukhari 6534
In-book reference: Book 81, Hadith 123
USC-MSA web (English) reference: Vol. 8, Book 76, Hadith 541
https://sunnah.com/bukhari/81/123

In another hadith:
Anas (RAA) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
The atonement of backbiting a man is to ask Allah to forgive him.” Related by Al-Harith bin Abu Usamah with a weak chain of narrators.

وَعَنْ أَنَسٍ ‏- رضى الله عنه ‏- عَنْ اَلنَّبِيِّ ‏- صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏-قَالَ: { كَفَّارَةٌ مَنْ اِغْتَبْتَهُ أَنْ تَسْتَغْفِرَ لَهُ } رَوَاهُ اَلْحَارِثُ بْنُ أَبِي أُسَامَةَ بِسَنَدٍ ضَعِيفٍ.‏‏
موضوع ففي سند عنبسة بن عبد الرحمن القرشي، وكان يضع الحديث.‏
English reference: Book 16, Hadith 1560
Arabic reference: Book 16, Hadith 1517
https://sunnah.com/urn/2118310

Hope you find this helpful. And Allah knows the best!
Ma'aSalaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.