/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Abdullah Haron - the Imam who fought Apartheid

IslamLife00
09-20-2020, 03:35 AM

This Muslim leader from Cape Town led a quiet but significant defiance against racist government policies in the 1960s.
He was especially politicised by the infamous massacre of 69 Black African protesters at Sharpeville in 1960.
His anti-apartheid activities took him around the world and he established close ties with renowned anti-apartheid figure Canon John Collins, the Dean of St Paul's Cathedral in London.
His work in defiance of apartheid also put him in great danger. He was detained without charge and tortured when he returned to Cape Town.
He died while in police custody in 1969 under still-unexplained circumstances;
claims by police that he "fell down stairs" - a stock explanation at the time for deaths of political prisoners in police detention - are today countered with overwhelming evidence of his death at the hands of security police.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IslamLife00
09-20-2020, 03:42 AM
Muhammed Haron : I think he participated in the anti-apartheid struggle because he wanted to achieve social justice, not for himself but for everybody.
He put his life on the line to basically assess every day to achieve this particular goal. He would have spoken out against any injustice by any group,
whether it is the right-wing fascist groups or any such group that support fascists’ outlooks or whatever.
He would definitely have spoken out against them because for him the middle way was Islam. As Muslims, we understand that to be the case.
So, any group that tries to abuse even Islam itself or use Islam like we have seen in the case of the Boko Haram and the ISIS group, all of these individuals he would have spoken out against.
This would, partly, be because they abused the fundamentals of Islam, the interpretation of the Qur’an, and the application of the prophetic example.
He had a good understanding of how to draw from the Islamic sources (that is, from the Qur’an and Hadith) and he gave his congregation a fairly clear understanding.

https://themaydan.com/2019/10/remembering-imam-mfundisi-abdullah-haron-and-apartheid-south-africa-an-interview-with-his-son-muhammed-haron/

muslim brother
09-20-2020, 04:48 PM
My grandfather also spoke out against apartheid in south africa.
His name was Ismail Patel.

He was put under house arrest for 10 years.
ALLAH TAALA decided to take his soul on the morning of Eid ul adha ,when i was 5.

May his grave be filled with light and ALLAHS mercy.

IslamLife00
09-21-2020, 12:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED PATEL
My grandfather also spoke out against apartheid in south africa. His name was Ismail Patel.
He was put under house arrest for 10 years. ALLAH TAALA decided to take his soul on the morning of Eid ul adha ,when i was 5.
May his grave be filled with light and ALLAHS mercy.
Ameen to your dua. and may Allah grant forgiveness and Jannat ul firdaus to all muslims who died fighting in the way of Allah.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IslamLife00
09-21-2020, 12:47 PM
O you who have believed, seek help through patience and prayer. Indeed, Allah is with the patient.
And do not say about those who are killed in the way of Allah, "They are dead." Rather, they are alive, but you perceive [it] not. Al Baqarah 153-154

And never think of those who have been killed in the cause of Allah as dead. Rather, they are alive with their Lord, receiving provision, rejoicing in what Allah has bestowed upon them of His bounty,
and they receive good tidings about those [to be martyred] after them who have not yet joined them - that there will be no fear concerning them, nor will they grieve. Ali 'Imran 169-170

It was narrated from Rashid bin Sa'd, that a man among the Companions of the Prophet said: "O Messenger of Allah, why will the believers be tested in their graves except the martyr?"
He said: "The flashing of the swords above his head is trial enough." Sunan An Nasa'i

Narrated Al-Bara: A man whose face was covered with an iron mask (i.e. clad in armor) came to the Prophet (ﷺ) and said, "O Allah's Messenger (ﷺ)! Shall I fight or embrace Islam first? "
The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Embrace Islam first and then fight." So he embraced Islam, and was martyred.
Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, A Little work, but a great reward. "(He did very little (after embracing Islam), but he will be rewarded in abundance). Sahih al Bukhari

It has been narrated on the authority of Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: Allah laughs at the two men both of whom will enter Paradise (though) one of them kills the other.
They said: Messenger of Allah, how is it? He said: One of them fights in the way of Allah, the Almighty and Exalted. and dies a martyr.
Then Allah turns in mercy to the murderer who embraces Islam, fights in the way of Allah, the Almighty and Exalted, and dies a martyr. Sahih Muslim

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.