/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What type of movies are halal in Islam?

Nitro Zeus
10-13-2020, 06:20 AM
Assalamu alaikum,

I personally like to watch movies and I even have my favorite ones

For example:

1. Wall-E
2. Transformers Darkside of the Moon and Revenge of the Fallen
3. Star Wars the Clone Wars
4. Tom and Jerry
5. Classic Mr. Bean
6. Vadim Tudor
7. South Park
8. Family Guy
9. Agent Archer
10. Over the Hedge

And on the show called Vadim Tudor I like it because it contain vulgarity and mixed with sense of humor and I almost died when I heard what Vadim Tudor said in front of a woman. I like vulgar humor shows.

So what you guys think of those movies which I'm watching? Are they halal in Islam?

Jazakhalakhair

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Islami.Mu'mina
10-13-2020, 05:08 PM
I think most shows should not be watched because even if it might be good, there still is music in the background which we should be avoiding. But if I had to rate the content of the shows? Well they should have some good meaning behind it or as long as it doesn't have any bad content. I don't know some of those shows

but I definitely do know that you should not watch south park or family guy. It might be funny but it is highly inappropriate

This is more of a fiqh question. You should watch this quick video by assimalhakeem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmDhrTjFcuI&t=31s

Nitro Zeus
10-13-2020, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islami.mu'min
I think most shows should not be watched because even if it might be good, there still is music in the background which we should be avoiding. But if I had to rate the content of the shows? Well they should have some good meaning behind it or as long as it doesn't have any bad content. I don't know some of those shows

but I definitely do know that you should not watch south park or family guy. It might be funny but it is highly inappropriate

This is more of a fiqh question. You should watch this quick video by assimalhakeem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmDhrTjFcuI&t=31s
This is heartbreaking... I don't know how you can handle without watching them and without listening to music. I wished to be capable like you are..

'Abd-al Latif
10-13-2020, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nitro Zeus
This is heartbreaking... I don't know how you can handle without watching them and without listening to music. I wished to be capable like you are..
What's stopping you from being like that?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ümit
10-13-2020, 08:44 PM
Wait...something is not right here...
We say that music is not allowed...there are indeed verses and hadith that back that up...
We say that images of animated things are not allowed...also backed up with Quran and hadith.

But we have no problem with watching and sharing videos of our favourite sheich?
Or does that not fall in the category of "images of the animated?

Nitro Zeus
10-13-2020, 08:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
What's stopping you from being like that?
Well those were my favorite movies which I still watch them and I do not know if I get the chance in Paradise for me to have those movies so I can watch over there if in here I cannot do this.

'Abd-al Latif
10-13-2020, 08:49 PM
Well those were my favorite movies which I still watch them and I do not know if I get the chance in Paradise for me to have those movies so I can watch over there if in here I cannot do this.
In paradise you'll have things that will far exceed films. You'll have everything that your heart desires and more. What do you think is the way to Jannah?

Nitro Zeus
10-13-2020, 08:53 PM
In paradise you'll have things that will far exceed films. You'll have everything that your heart desires and more. What do you think is the way to Jannah?
Right, the way to Paradise(Jannah) is to avoid haram things.

How should I explain this to my mom since she is a Christian? She will try her best to impose what she thinks to be ok on me like the last time I battled with her about the case with music and she told me[I forgot what it was] and I told her that music is voice of Satan which he uses to mislead man and she told me that this is not true and she starts to give me examples just so she can persuade me to believe that music is halal in Islam!

Nitro Zeus
10-13-2020, 09:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ümit
We say that music is not allowed...there are indeed verses and hadith that back that up...
We say that images of animated things are not allowed...also backed up with Quran and hadith.

But we have no problem with watching and sharing videos of our favourite sheich?
This is confusing...

'Abd-al Latif
10-13-2020, 09:05 PM

How should I explain this to my mom since she is a Christian? She will try her best to impose what she thinks to be ok on me like the last time I battled with her about the case with music and she told me[I forgot what it was] and I told her that music is voice of Satan which he uses to mislead man and she told me that this is not true and she starts to give me examples just so she can persuade me to believe that music is halal in Islam!
So you've mentioned what you shouldn't do but what should we do to enter into al Jannah?

With regards to your mum, I'd like to mention to you what Allah has said in the Qur'an (surah al-Insaan verses 23-29). Please note that this is not a criticism but advice and guidance from the Qur'an about our outlook to life:

Indeed, it is We who have sent down to you, the Qur'an progressively.

So be patient for the decision of your Lord and do not obey from among them a sinner or ungrateful [disbeliever].

And mention the name of your Lord [in prayer] morning and evening

And during the night prostrate to Him and exalt Him a long [part of the] night.

Indeed, these [disbelievers] love the immediate and leave behind them a grave Day.

We have created them and strengthened their forms, and when We will, We can change their likenesses with [complete] alteration.

Indeed, this is a reminder, so he who wills may take to his Lord a way.

Do respect your mother to the best of your ability and be kind to her, regardless of what she says to you. Be mindful however of learning about Islam from someone who isn't a Muslim. Inshaa'Allah one day she will be a Muslim too but until then safeguard your iman and focus on strengthening your faith.

'Abd-al Latif
10-13-2020, 09:12 PM

This is completely separate discussion. In short, the answer is no. If you'd like the details then you'll have to look them up or ask a sheikh about this.

Islami.Mu'mina
10-13-2020, 10:09 PM

Brother the use of videos is a controversial topic but majority believe its permissible am pretty sure. I forgot the reasoning behind it.. Like the other man said, short answer is that it does not fall under that category. But as for this thread, the discussion is about the content of these shows and whether they are permissible.

Ümit
10-13-2020, 10:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islami.mu'min
Brother the use of videos is a controversial topic but majority believe its permissible am pretty sure. I forgot the reasoning behind it.. Like the other man said, short answer is that it does not fall under that category. But as for this thread, the discussion is about the content of these shows and whether they are permissible.
Yes I know...this subject has been discussed on this forum multiple times on different threads. It is not a complete separate discussion as abd al latif claims but has everything to do with this discussion. The truth is I have done many different attempts to understand the rulings for this...but it just is one huge gray area.
I understand that making images of living things is haraam because people might be tempted to idolize it.
But then again...no one would idolize a winnie the pooh pluche animal toy...so can we then say such pluche toys are not haraam?
I guess not.
Some say videos are basically stored as electromagnetic waves on tape or as series of ones and zeros on a disc...therefore haraam...but what what about the earlier movies who were stored as a series of pictures on a silver based film? Haraam or not?
And how about digital photo frames who show a picture of a beloved one which is basically a series of pixels in certain order and color...also stored as ones and zeros?
Is that suddenly halal?

I just do not know.

Again...a huge gray area...my gut feeling says that if pictures are haraam...then videos are also haraam and vice versa...but of course who am I...I could be wrong...Allah knows best

Islami.Mu'mina
10-13-2020, 10:51 PM
Brother, you are just as capable as I am. I know you are. There used to be a time where I used to watch this type of stuff. Eventually i came to a realization and changed. Yes it was hard. I mean, tv was my way to be lazy and chill. Music especially was something even more precious for me than TV. I used to be a classical musician before I became religious. It was more than just a hobby to me. It felt like my purpose and my way to shower my emotions out...

I quit it all though. For a whole year, it was painful for me to look back. Especially because I loved music especially and wanted to further my career in Music. There would be times after I quit where I would look at myself in the mirror and start playing the imaginary violin in my arms while hearing the music play in my head. Sometimes I would look at old photos and videos of me and this would hit me hard to because it was the past that was gone. I still pushed further and remained patient for the better. After two years, I finally dont feel pain looking back. It is all for the better. My life is more minimalist now because of the things we give up as Muslims. I'm not a slave to my desire. I don't need temporary things like music or other forms of entertainment to make me happy. These things make our brain release dopamine, the more we rely on it, the more addicted we will be to it. That way it'll become a need in your life because your brain needs it. So yeah when I quit music, I felt an emptiness and a need to go back to it.. It took me a whole year to fully recover from the effects it had on me. Although you are struggling with TV rather than music, the concepts are similar. I did love watching TV but soon I pushed it away realizing that it is just a false source of happiness.

I'll tell you, after two years of experience, there have been major differences. These are mini sins that build up and can impact our faith. Because I quit these habits, I am much more self disciplined, more wise and bright, less lazy, and a stronger Muslim.

Islami.Mu'mina
10-13-2020, 10:55 PM
Yes I know...this subject has been discussed on this forum multiple times on different threads. It is not a complete separate discussion as abd al latif claims but has everything to do with this discussion. The truth is I have done many different attempts to understand the rulings for this...but it just is one huge gray area.
I understand that making images of living things is haraam because people might be tempted to idolize it.
But then again...no one would idolize a winnie the pooh pluche animal toy...so can we then say such pluche toys are not haraam?
I guess not.
Some say videos are basically stored as electromagnetic waves on tape or as series of ones and zeros on a disc...therefore haraam...but what what about the earlier movies who were stored as a series of pictures on a silver based film? Haraam or not?
And how about digital photo frames who show a picture of a beloved one which is basically a series of pixels in certain order and color...also stored as ones and zeros?
Is that suddenly halal?

I just do not know.

Again...a huge gray area...my gut feeling says that if pictures are haraam...then videos are also haraam and vice versa...but of course who am I...I could be wrong...Allah knows best
Its a very hard topic. It makes me worry too. I need to do more research on this because this topic has worried me the most. I used to not take pictures but now I do because of the other opinion and its reasoning. I forgot why though too. Its something I need to go back to. I dont know why I suddenly changed opinions, I think its because I couldnt handle not taking pictures and being criticized by others for following that opinion. AstaghfirAllah. Maybe I should go back to this topic again

Islami.Mu'mina
10-13-2020, 11:02 PM

Yeah this is annoying. When I stopped watching TV, I faced a lot of criticism. They kept saying it was halal or whatever. I just wanted to do my own thing. My brother would come up to me when I wouldnt even bother him and tell me that humans are meant to fail. "No humans are perfect"... Well obviously! But I shouldn't fail on purpose now should I???

Then I'd show him my reasoning backed up by hadiths on music etc.. Then he would boast about how he gave sadaqah and he deserves to watch TV or whatever even though I wasn't criticizing him or asking for his opinion. I just cringed at what he said.:slap:

Even when he got his new ukulele.. He wanted me to tune it and set it up for him. I nicely told him no because I dont support instruments and he got offended .

You just gotta be patient. If she keeps persisting, dont even argue with her. Just calmly say no and dont waste your energy on explaining yourself if you already did it once

Nitro Zeus
10-14-2020, 06:46 AM
So you've mentioned what you shouldn't do but what should we do to enter into al Jannah?

With regards to your mum, I'd like to mention to you what Allah has said in the Qur'an (surah al-Insaan verses 23-29). Please note that this is not a criticism but advice and guidance from the Qur'an about our outlook to life:

Indeed, it is We who have sent down to you, the Qur'an progressively.

So be patient for the decision of your Lord and do not obey from among them a sinner or ungrateful [disbeliever].

And mention the name of your Lord [in prayer] morning and evening

And during the night prostrate to Him and exalt Him a long [part of the] night.

Indeed, these [disbelievers] love the immediate and leave behind them a grave Day.

We have created them and strengthened their forms, and when We will, We can change their likenesses with [complete] alteration.

Indeed, this is a reminder, so he who wills may take to his Lord a way.

Do respect your mother to the best of your ability and be kind to her, regardless of what she says to you. Be mindful however of learning about Islam from someone who isn't a Muslim. Inshaa'Allah one day she will be a Muslim too but until then safeguard your iman and focus on strengthening your faith.
You mean to learn Islam from people like Ali Sina, Jay Smith and David Wood? No thank you. I don't want to get misleaded.

Islami.Mu'mina
10-14-2020, 01:42 PM
You mean to learn Islam from people like Ali Sina, Jay Smith and David Wood? No thank you. I don't want to get misleaded.
He never said that. He just said be patient and respect your mother. You don't have to listen to her advice if it goes against Allah. You don't need to listen to people like David Wood etc. because hes against Islam

'Abd-al Latif
10-14-2020, 01:46 PM
Who said anything about learning Islam from any of those people?

What I am saying however is to stick to the Qur'an as closely as you can.

Ümit
10-14-2020, 02:07 PM
No Nitro, He meant your mother and other relatives or close ones who are not muslim.

As long as your mother doesn't order you to do something unislamic, you should obey her...and always be nice to your mother and treat her with respect...even when she orders you that goes against Islaam you should still be nice to her.

However, when it comes to gaining knowledge about Islaam...then you mother might not be the best source for you, because she will pass her doubts about Islaam on to you...possibly the exact doubts that keep her from converting to Islaam.
So Abd al Latif said, you should be careful with that.

Nitro Zeus
10-14-2020, 03:16 PM
Who said anything about learning Islam from any of those people?

What I am saying however is to stick to the Qur'an as closely as you can.
Oops, I'm sorry, I missunderstood you.

Nitro Zeus
10-14-2020, 06:25 PM
No Nitro, He meant your mother and other relatives or close ones who are not muslim.

As long as your mother doesn't order you to do something unislamic, you should obey her...and always be nice to your mother and treat her with respect...even when she orders you that goes against Islaam you should still be nice to her.

However, when it comes to gaining knowledge about Islaam...then you mother might not be the best source for you, because she will pass her doubts about Islaam on to you...possibly the exact doubts that keep her from converting to Islaam.
So Abd al Latif said, you should be careful with that.
A ok, I understand.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.