/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is social media unislamic?

peacefulone
12-01-2020, 09:22 AM
Assalamu alaykum wr wb
I have struggle with social media since I was young. I do not think it is halal, I do not know though. In my heart I feel bad using social media because of all the haram pictures and behaviour on there. I used to get some benefits but they were small compared to the haram I get. Every time I use social media then I have problems later with people. I also have mental issues in my mind with jealousy and bitterness.
I do not know how this media can be halal...I searched for 'halal social media' and something called salamworld came up in articles that said it was a turkish social media but apparantly it was shut down. Maybe because it had 227 million users and facebook was getting scared...allah alim
I just wonder if its halal can us computer scientists design a halal social media? otherwise I think we should give it up completely for peace allahu alim

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
المدينه
12-01-2020, 01:12 PM
اسلام عليكم

This is a really interesting question. I thank you for asking and I can't wait to see what others have to say. May Allah bless you for your thoughtfulness

I will not go and start saying anything about haram/halal because I am just not in a qualified position to do so.

I will question the definition of social media. If it implies only Facebook, Instagram, tiktok or whatever they're all called, then maybe they aren't such great places to be. I do have a facebook which I haven't touched for more than a year. That was it though, I deleted whatsapp too. Because I got tired of social media. I have various reasons for it, the least of it being its role in destroying my marriage

Which brings me to my definition of social media: a form of socializing and interacting with people via internet. Because my neighbors aren't very friendly and people here don't talk to each other. It's creepy to say hi to a stranger, I guess. May Allah protect us all from evil.

That in itself isn't something bad. Technically, this forum is also social media. We are interacting with random strangers across the globe. One can argue the virtues here vs the gram but in general....it's when the online world replaces the real one, we have a problem.

Everyone knows about stranger danger. But the one posting the umpteenth selfie or millionth video with them dancing or whatever, or far worse... Are they aware of the fact that their precious likes and hearts are nothing but a fake feel in a virtual world?

From my experience, most don't. Especially not the younger users out there. Not just the 20-somethings, but children too. The impact is so enormous. I live in a western country, have lived in the west my entire life. Yet my living situation should not prevent me from taking a closer look. It does not excuse ignorance

I don't think social media is bad or wrong, per se. I think it's just what people do with it. It is really disgusting and I am horrified when I think that so many of those on there will be my doctor when I'm older... my surgeon, care personnel, police officer, my grandchildren's teachers? Yes, all the way to nations leaders and very other high influential people.

Kind human, I saw you dancing on the internet while making strange faces, drinking and you tagged your video with #livingthegoodlife? Why in the world would I trust you to treat my diabetes or teach a child to read if I don't want to buy a loaf of bread from you?

Maybe I am kind of conservative, maybe I am not "normal" but it's my opinion.

Again, I don't think it's all worth condemning. I am so happy to have found this place. This is the kind of social media I personally go for

May Allah bless you with success in all your endeavors and may he guide you to what's right

Ümit
12-02-2020, 12:14 AM
Thank you sister...that is exactly how İ see it too.
Technically social media itself is not bad or wrong...its the users themselves who make certain social media a bad thing.
İ mean...you could still form a facebook page and only add friends who act in a peoper islamic way and block all others.
İts no different as in real life.
İf you live in the west, especially in a city in the west you also come across half naked people passing by...or posters of some lingerie commercial...you just turn away and dont look at it...so on social media you should act in the same way...just try ro avoid suck

BlissfullyJaded
12-02-2020, 08:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by المدينه
I don't think social media is bad or wrong, per se. I think it's just what people do with it.
This. Precisely.

I have had FB for a long time. I limit my friends list to people I've known from forums, because most of them are good people and are great to interact with on an Islamic level. I don't let just anybody in though.

Socialization with the wrong people can be harmful anywhere, online and offline. And in the times we live in, it's really easy to fall into haraam no matter where you are, especially if you're in the west. You get away with things a lot easier online, but really, we're adults with the knowledge of right and wrong and should always strive to be better.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
المدينه
12-02-2020, 08:45 AM
The struggle is real, right? Thank you for your answer here.

Advertisements and co are of course everywhere. But there's something about the professional level of fakeness that it has which makes it so easy to just look away. The woman from the lingerie commercial is not likely to be my pharmacist. And if she is, I'd probably not recognize her anyways. I think this is a strange double standard many have and don't realize. Including me. But that's a different topic for a different day.

True, the main principles of life are often no different on or offline. It's the lack of inhibition in many, along with the blurred lines of reality and just being a decent human that poses the greatest issue. I won't offer my neighbor a piece of the cake I baked but I will post that thing everywhere before I eat it? #wantsome ? I won't get on the phone to wish you a happy birthday but I'll post a picture of a cat with a party hat on? Oh you post a video of you being rushed to the ER? I'll heart it. And I'll share it too.

I sound very horribly judgemental and I apologize for doing so. I am not judgmental but I am strong minded. May Allah forgive me and keep me humble and not so opinionated.

The idea of opening a new profile to my liking is a good one and is tempting. It's a way out of isolation. But the virtual cup of coffee just doesn't match the real one.

Speaking of which....anyone else want a cup while I'm there? [emoji3]

May Allah guide us to the right people and keep us on the straight path. May he forgive us all for stumbling along the way.

MazharShafiq
12-02-2020, 04:06 PM

Advertisements and co are of course everywhere. But there's something about the professional level of fakeness that it has which makes it so easy to just look away. The woman from the lingerie commercial is not likely to be my pharmacist. And if she is, I'd probably not recognize her anyways. I think this is a strange double standard many have and don't realize. Including me. But that's a different topic for a different day.

True, the main principles of life are often no different on or offline. It's the lack of inhibition in many, along with the blurred lines of reality and just being a decent human that poses the greatest issue. I won't offer my neighbor a piece of the cake I baked but I will post that thing everywhere before I eat it? #wantsome ? I won't get on the phone to wish you a happy birthday but I'll post a picture of a cat with a party hat on? Oh you post a video of you being rushed to the ER? I'll heart it. And I'll share it too.

I sound very horribly judgemental and I apologize for doing so. I am not judgmental but I am strong minded. May Allah forgive me and keep me humble and not so opinionated.

The idea of opening a new profile to my liking is a good one and is tempting. It's a way out of isolation. But the virtual cup of coffee just doesn't match the real one.

May Allah guide us to the right people and keep us on the straight path. May he forgive us all for stumbling along the way.
Ameen

peacefulone
12-03-2020, 02:28 PM

I like your analogy about the cake. Thats is a very powerful thought! Seriously, I have to admit I have been guilty of doing that too though. But I will not do it again because really what does a brag post say about you? Well, it says one I think I have more then you and I'm not afraid to tell anyone about it, and I feel I am invincible event though I am not so lets taunt the people online who might want what I have. These two sentiments are not healthy at all! I think a lot of us, myself included, were falling into them though and we need to stop and think.

I deleted all my facebook and instagram. I only have whatsapp now to use with sending links to my husband because of they can open easier then in text messages or email.

I really don't feel any benefit from social media anymore. Its all superficial...imo

Yes this forum can be considered a form of social media. But not exactly. This forum is moderated heavily, as it should be! And you can't just say anything or brag post (and get away with it) because of the definition of a 'forum' , which to my understanding is a place to share opinions based on educated thought not brag posts.

I sincerely hope that social media goes away with cassette tapes, or to use a more modern references the CD. haha

Thanks for the responses everyone!

ashraf__
12-03-2020, 04:59 PM
its like a knife depends on how you use it, a lot of people are using social media to spread news do commerce and better their lives.... there are bigger things to worry about like do you know if your neighbour is going to bed hungry? is there someone in your extended family that needs help which is within your capacity and so much more.

المدينه
12-03-2020, 08:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ashraf__
its like a knife depends on how you use it, a lot of people are using social media to spread news do commerce and better their lives.... there are bigger things to worry about like do you know if your neighbour is going to bed hungry? is there someone in your extended family that needs help which is within your capacity and so much more.
Agreed, which is why I say it's not a bad thing, per se. And let's be real, not everyone who has an account somewhere is automatically a lost cause. Like you said, many people are bettering their lives and raising awareness about things going on in the world that are very important.

What I disagree with is the way social media is so misused and many people just completley misguided. The level of inhibition drops and the inebriation rises.

It's a matter of personal choice, what we do with what we are given. Allah gives us everything, right? And isn't it on us to make the best of it? I believe strongly in that sentiment.

I thank you for your insight. May Allah bless and reward you for it

المدينه
12-03-2020, 08:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by peacefulone
I like your analogy about the cake. Thats is a very powerful thought! Seriously, I have to admit I have been guilty of doing that too though. But I will not do it again because really what does a brag post say about you? Well, it says one I think I have more then you and I'm not afraid to tell anyone about it, and I feel I am invincible event though I am not so lets taunt the people online who might want what I have. These two sentiments are not healthy at all! I think a lot of us, myself included, were falling into them though and we need to stop and think.

I deleted all my facebook and instagram. I only have whatsapp now to use with sending links to my husband because of they can open easier then in text messages or email.

I really don't feel any benefit from social media anymore. Its all superficial...imo

Yes this forum can be considered a form of social media. But not exactly. This forum is moderated heavily, as it should be! And you can't just say anything or brag post (and get away with it) because of the definition of a 'forum' , which to my understanding is a place to share opinions based on educated thought not brag posts.

I sincerely hope that social media goes away with cassette tapes, or to use a more modern references the CD. haha

Thanks for the responses everyone!
Oh wow! I'm very humbled that you said that and I thank you so much!

But dear, I didn't mean the cake thing as something bad. Yes, we know the brag posts but I don't believe everything is just to show off. I am even willing to bet that many don't even realize that's what they're doing. I think it's wonderful that you are aware of your actions and that you handle accordingly

Imho, if you are snapping that cake you made and you're proud of what you've done and want to share that, by all means, go ahead. I bet it came out delicious. I just get sad when people do that but fail to think about sharing the actual, edible thing. I hope I made sense, but I think you got it.

Sharing is caring, right?

Like the brother said too, people are doing great things online. Then there are those, who aren't paying attention to what's happening in their own families and right next door. Nevermind the rest of the world.

I thank you again for this topic. I really like these kind of discussions

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.