/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Charity begins at home......

Imraan
12-05-2020, 11:56 AM
Assalam walaikum

Can anyone give guidance using hadith regarding the giving of charitable donations.

For many years donations have been made regularly, locally to Masjid for the maintenance of the Masjid itself and abroad for families in need. Sometimes significant sometimes what we can give, every penny counts..

I am somewhat sceptical of these registered non profitable organisations who administer the charities (lack of transparency I think), hence it always goes to a trusted Masjid or trusted Individuals so they can give it directly Into the hands that need it

Should there be a priority on who it goes to?

For example if you are from Pakistan, should most of your money be donated with priority to Pakistan (if it is your home country or mother land), there are many other countries in need etc.

Don't want prejudice or discrimination but
Who has the most HAQ of the charity you want to give?
(despite re affirming faith that everyone's rizq is pre determined anyway)

'Charity begins at home', off course its your own discretion to what you spend in your own household and your family members and what you sacrifice to channel that money elsewhere for charitable causes.

Any hadith available to help?

Jazak Allah Khair, please remember me and my family in your prayers.....

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Islami.Mu'mina
12-13-2020, 12:05 AM
Hmm I don't really know about any hadiths regarding on the priority, but here is a link that talks a little bit about it

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/7540...-charity-first

Honestly, there isn't much info on here other than the opinions of scholars which they haven't really provided hadith narrations. I'd just say to view their ideas and then come to a decision yourself on what you think would please Allah the most. Not doing it for your favor but for His sake. And pray to get the rewards from Him

I myself would try to prioritize those in the most need, because that will make the biggest impact

Eric H
12-13-2020, 06:24 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Imraan;

If there were true justice in this world, then we would not need to give charity. People should be able to earn the same wage for the same kind of job anywhere in the world. Sadly, about 700 million people live on less than $2 per day.

I used to give to a number of charities until one day I was told the ceo's of charities earn six figure salaries. Now I always research the salaries paid to executives. How can a ceo earning £100,000 per year understand what it is like to live on $2 per day.

I strongly believe that these ceo's should have a passion for their work, and they should be paid a salary that reflects their passion, not their greed.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people,
Eric

Imraan
12-13-2020, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you Imraan;

If there were true justice in this world, then we would not need to give charity. People should be able to earn the same wage for the same kind of job anywhere in the world. Sadly, about 700 million people live on less than $2 per day.

I used to give to a number of charities until one day I was told the ceo's of charities earn six figure salaries. Now I always research the salaries paid to executives. How can a ceo earning £100,000 per year understand what it is like to live on $2 per day.

I strongly believe that these ceo's should have a passion for their work, and they should be paid a salary that reflects their passion, not their greed.

In the spirit of praying for justice for all people,
Eric
I agree with you @Eri c. In a just world no one would need charity.

I think there is a hadeeth that there will eventually be a time when people will want to pay charity, but there will be no one that needs it. Maybe its the end days... Or the last hour, I'm not sure.

I avoid organisations because I feel donations have bigger Impact when paid directly into the hands that need it. No admin fees and no middle man fees.

In my early years predominantly my family would send money back home to villages / nearby villages where my parents grew up or grandparents / great grandparents lived and ancestors established themselves, there were nearby families that needed money, so money would be sent directly to them.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.