/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is this stealing?

m4rouf
12-20-2020, 06:52 PM
Assalamualaykum,

I purchased a (highly overpriced) wheelchair from a wheelchair company for my mother. I then also purchased essential accessories such as the seatbelt and a couple of other (extremely overpriced) plastic parts because for some reason these weren't included even though they were required in order for the wheelchair to function.

I needed to also purchase their 'tyre upgrades' because the wheels that came with the chair were plastic and small and really bad. The improved tyres weren't available to buy directly online so I had to reach out and ask if I could buy them.

Before actually agreeing to anything they just sent me the tyres straight to my house - I was really happy, I thought they were being generous / felt bad for exploiting me so wanted to make it up. Fitting the tyres was a nightmare - took all evening as I had to dismantle all the parts and I had zero instructions, but I thought I got them for free so no complaints.

A few days later I got an invoice for the (overpriced) tyres [emoji853]. I was so upset I ignored the invoice. It's been a few months and they never actually came back to me. They've already exploited me so much they've not actually made any loss. Question is though, am I stealing by ignoring this invoice? Have I committed a sin?

Jazakhallah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
m4rouf
12-20-2020, 07:05 PM
Oh and if anyone's wondering why I'd buy this wheelchair in the first place it's because it's a special wheelchair that converts into a rollator too. I looked around a lot but couldn't find any others like it. My mother needed a rollator/wheelchair so this was my only option.

*charisma*
12-20-2020, 09:30 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

format_quote Originally Posted by m4rouf
Oh and if anyone's wondering why I'd buy this wheelchair in the first place it's because it's a special wheelchair that converts into a rollator too. I looked around a lot but couldn't find any others like it. My mother needed a rollator/wheelchair so this was my only option.
This is the reason it is expensive, because it is unique and there is no substitute for it.

If they sent you the tires without your confirmation then you should call them and sort it out. They may let you keep them for free anyway if the mistake is on their part. Otherwise it seems that they are not generally free and you are expected to pay for them, so you should either pay for it or return it.

Islami.Mu'mina
12-20-2020, 09:34 PM
Yeah you have to pay for it or return

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
m4rouf
12-21-2020, 06:57 AM
Okay thanks for the replies in that case I'll make the payment insha'Allah

m4rouf
12-21-2020, 07:01 AM
Paid :)
Feels really good this has been bugging me so much for the past few days

Islami.Mu'mina
12-21-2020, 05:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by m4rouf
Paid :)
Feels really good this has been bugging me so much for the past few days
Alhamdulilah sister may Allah reward you for the action you did. No more guilt

Studentofdeed
12-24-2020, 07:32 AM
I have a question as well about few things. I bought a TV, by mistake they sent me a duplicate. I returned it because I thought it was stealing...my sister got upset at me since she paid for it and said I wasted her money and she is angry. Blows up my phone with insults and curses. She calls amazon and has them bring back the TV I gave back. She took it for her house.
Is what she did was okay? She said amazon would most likely not taken it and employees would have kept it for themselves. I was upset and didn't want the sin of stealing. At this point I didn't want to make an issue so I had no choice. Did we steal or is the sin on me?

Second thing...my TV is broken. It arrived broken, I complained and asked for an upgrade. They said they will not give me an upgrade due to company policy. However they told me they will be sending me the same TV but they said the better one's name that I was asking for which isn't the same TV. I didn't say anything but then realized that it isn't the same TV. Is it stealing if I remain quiet or should I call them and clarify the issue? My friend said they will most likely realize their mistake and send you the one you needed. But I was just worried...whenever I try being honest, I get cursed and criticism. As a result, I feel like it impacted me on the second decision and I stayed quiet.

Please do not just scroll by but actually take the time to answer as It took me the time to post this.

المدينه
12-24-2020, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Studentofdeed
I have a question as well about few things. I bought a TV, by mistake they sent me a duplicate. I returned it because I thought it was stealing...my sister got upset at me since she paid for it and said I wasted her money and she is angry. Blows up my phone with insults and curses. She calls amazon and has them bring back the TV I gave back. She took it for her house.
Is what she did was okay? She said amazon would most likely not taken it and employees would have kept it for themselves. I was upset and didn't want the sin of stealing. At this point I didn't want to make an issue so I had no choice. Did we steal or is the sin on me?

Second thing...my TV is broken. It arrived broken, I complained and asked for an upgrade. They said they will not give me an upgrade due to company policy. However they told me they will be sending me the same TV but they said the better one's name that I was asking for which isn't the same TV. I didn't say anything but then realized that it isn't the same TV. Is it stealing if I remain quiet or should I call them and clarify the issue? My friend said they will most likely realize their mistake and send you the one you needed. But I was just worried...whenever I try being honest, I get cursed and criticism. As a result, I feel like it impacted me on the second decision and I stayed quiet.

Please do not just scroll by but actually take the time to answer as It took me the time to post this.
Okay... so your sister paid for one tv, you received two and you sent one back. Did I get that right?

That being the case, you did the right thing and she has no right to claim you wasted any kind of money. Certainly not to be angry about not receiving something that was never anyones in the first place. One tv was ordered, one tv paid for. End of story.

Now about the tv upgrade/replacement...

Yours came damaged, you asked for an upgrade, they say no. You ask for replacement and they say yes and are replacing your damaged goods with something better. Hmmm. .. reminds me of a dua I'm sure we've all made at some point

Well, I think that in the first case (2 tvs) it was an honest mistake made by some poor soul who may have just not realized what they were doing. It happens. You did the right thing.

Second case, I assume you spoke to a customer representative and explained exactly what it is that you want. And this rep may be giving you just that. Maybe this better tv they're shipping is same price or possibly on sale after the holidays? Even if it's a different brand but same quality, blah.

So far, you have nothing in your possession so just see what happens after the holidays/delivery and take it from there. I wouldn't stress too much about it.

Studentofdeed
12-24-2020, 09:16 PM
Jazakallah Khayran sister...it truly is hard to be honest in an unhonest world

المدينه
12-24-2020, 10:38 PM
Don't mention it, happy if I could help. Btw, I think it's awesome you did give the tv back. Too many would have just shrugged and kept it, thinking it's a gift, and carried on with their day

People don't always appreciate honesty if it's not to their own apparent advantage. But you keep on being straight like that and don't let others make you question your integrity. You know you did right

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.