/* */

PDA

View Full Version : music

taha_
12-26-2020, 03:28 PM
Music

Music is prohibited by Islam, because it is tool of Shaytan to lure people alway from Islam, and hardens their hearts

There are many proofs for this from Quran and Ahadith.

It is mentioned in Quran.

Luqman 31:6

وَمِنَ ٱلنَّاسِ مَن يَشْتَرِى لَهْوَ ٱلْحَدِيثِ لِيُضِلَّ عَن سَبِيلِ ٱللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَيَتَّخِذَهَا هُزُوًاۚ أُو۟لَٰٓئِكَ لَهُمْ عَذَابٌ مُّهِينٌ

And of the people is he who buys the amusement of speech to mislead [others] from the way of Allah without knowledge and who takes it in ridicule. Those will have a humiliating punishment.

According to the Salaf, they meant that this was about music.

Tafsir ibn kathir mentions that ibn masud commented on this verse saying that it talks about music.

And in ahadith, Prophet said.

Hadith

وَقَالَ هِشَامُ بْنُ عَمَّارٍ حَدَّثَنَا صَدَقَةُ بْنُ خَالِدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنُ يَزِيدَ بْنِ جَابِرٍ، حَدَّثَنَا عَطِيَّةُ بْنُ قَيْسٍ الْكِلاَبِيُّ، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنُ غَنْمٍ الأَشْعَرِيُّ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنِي أَبُو عَامِرٍ ـ أَوْ أَبُو مَالِكٍ ـ الأَشْعَرِيُّ وَاللَّهِ مَا كَذَبَنِي سَمِعَ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَقُولُ ‏

‏ لَيَكُونَنَّ مِنْ أُمَّتِي أَقْوَامٌ يَسْتَحِلُّونَ الْحِرَ وَالْحَرِيرَ وَالْخَمْرَ وَالْمَعَازِفَ، وَلَيَنْزِلَنَّ أَقْوَامٌ إِلَى جَنْبِ عَلَمٍ يَرُوحُ عَلَيْهِمْ بِسَارِحَةٍ لَهُمْ، يَأْتِيهِمْ ـ يَعْنِي الْفَقِيرَ ـ لِحَاجَةٍ فَيَقُولُوا ارْجِعْ إِلَيْنَا غَدًا‏.‏ فَيُبَيِّتُهُمُ اللَّهُ وَيَضَعُ الْعَلَمَ، وَيَمْسَخُ آخَرِينَ قِرَدَةً وَخَنَازِيرَ إِلَى يَوْمِ الْقِيَامَةِ ‏"

‏‏

that he heard the Prophet (ﷺ) saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

Sahih al-Bukhari 5590
In-book : Book 74, Hadith 16
USC-MSA web (English) : Vol. 7, Book 69, Hadith 494 (deprecated)
Sahih Bukhari

What the Four madhabs says about music.

Imam Abu Hanifa:
The Madhab of Imam Abu Hanifa is among the most critical and harshest quotes on music. Imam Abu Hanifa's students clearly declared musical instruments haram and anyone who listens to it is considered a fasiq whose testimony is not accepted.

Some went on to say that listening to music is fisq (astray) and enjoying it is kufr. They used weak hadith to support that statement.

They also said one must strive not to listen to it if he passes by it or if its near him.

Abu Yusuf, one of Abu Hanifa's most famous teachers, said, "A house that music is heard from can be raided without permission because ordaining the good and forbidding the evil is fard, and if we require permission for entry in such situation then people would not be able to perform the fard of forbidding the evil."

Imam Malik:
Imam Malik (rahimahu Allah) was asked about those who play the drums and flute and those who enjoy listening to it as one passes by.

He said one must get up and leave unless he is sitting for something extremely urgent or cannot get up. If he hears it in his pathway then he should go back or speed forward.

He said music is something the fusooq (astray) do.

Ibn Abdal Bar (rahimahu Allah) said scholars agree by ijma3 on the issue of riba, that the dowry of the prostitution is taking payment for weeping over the dead, forturne tellers those who claim to know unforeseen and news of the skies, musical instruments, and all wrongful play.

Imam Shafi'i:
His students and those truly knowledgeable of his madhab clearly declared music and musical instruments haram and denied that he ever said it was halal.

The author of "Kifayat al Akbar", who is a Shafi'i scholar, considered musical instruments an evil that needed to be forbidden upon those who hear or see it. He said that a person is not excused if scholars who go with the flow are present (make a fatwa for it) or if they are poor (meaning the Sufis as that was one of their names back then). Because they are ignorant followers of everyone who barks. They never follow the brightness of knowledge but bend to every wind.

Imam Ahmad:
Imam Ahmad's son, Abdullah, asked his father about music. His father said, "It grows hypocrisy within one's heart and I dislike it." And, then he said Imam Maliks quote that only fusooq (astray) do it.

Ibn Qudamah, who is considered among the biggest Imam of the Hanbali Madhabs, said, "Musical instruments are haram like guitar, trumpets, flutes, drums and so on. Whoever continues to listen to it, his testimony is rejected.

And then he goes on to say, "If one goes to a wedding with prohibition like alcohol musical instrument and can forbid evil then he must otherwise he should not attend."

It is such sad and foolish thing that some of so called liberal and secular muslims choose to listen to music and defends it until their death, ignoring Quran most.

May Allah guide us.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nitro Zeus
12-26-2020, 04:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by taha_
Music

Music is prohibited by Islam, because it is tool of Shaytan to lure people alway from Islam, and hardens their hearts

There are many proofs for this from Quran and Ahadith.

It is mentioned in Quran.

Luqman 31:6

وَمِنَ ٱلنَّاسِ مَن يَشْتَرِى لَهْوَ ٱلْحَدِيثِ لِيُضِلَّ عَن سَبِيلِ ٱللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَيَتَّخِذَهَا هُزُوًاۚ أُو۟لَٰٓئِكَ لَهُمْ عَذَابٌ مُّهِينٌ

And of the people is he who buys the amusement of speech to mislead [others] from the way of Allah without knowledge and who takes it in ridicule. Those will have a humiliating punishment.

According to the Salaf, they meant that this was about music.

Tafsir ibn kathir mentions that ibn masud commented on this verse saying that it talks about music.

And in ahadith, Prophet said.

Hadith

وَقَالَ هِشَامُ بْنُ عَمَّارٍ حَدَّثَنَا صَدَقَةُ بْنُ خَالِدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنُ يَزِيدَ بْنِ جَابِرٍ، حَدَّثَنَا عَطِيَّةُ بْنُ قَيْسٍ الْكِلاَبِيُّ، حَدَّثَنَا عَبْدُ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنُ غَنْمٍ الأَشْعَرِيُّ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنِي أَبُو عَامِرٍ ـ أَوْ أَبُو مَالِكٍ ـ الأَشْعَرِيُّ وَاللَّهِ مَا كَذَبَنِي سَمِعَ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَقُولُ ‏

‏ لَيَكُونَنَّ مِنْ أُمَّتِي أَقْوَامٌ يَسْتَحِلُّونَ الْحِرَ وَالْحَرِيرَ وَالْخَمْرَ وَالْمَعَازِفَ، وَلَيَنْزِلَنَّ أَقْوَامٌ إِلَى جَنْبِ عَلَمٍ يَرُوحُ عَلَيْهِمْ بِسَارِحَةٍ لَهُمْ، يَأْتِيهِمْ ـ يَعْنِي الْفَقِيرَ ـ لِحَاجَةٍ فَيَقُولُوا ارْجِعْ إِلَيْنَا غَدًا‏.‏ فَيُبَيِّتُهُمُ اللَّهُ وَيَضَعُ الْعَلَمَ، وَيَمْسَخُ آخَرِينَ قِرَدَةً وَخَنَازِيرَ إِلَى يَوْمِ الْقِيَامَةِ ‏"

‏‏

that he heard the Prophet (ﷺ) saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

Sahih al-Bukhari 5590
In-book : Book 74, Hadith 16
USC-MSA web (English) : Vol. 7, Book 69, Hadith 494 (deprecated)
Sahih Bukhari

What the Four madhabs says about music.

Imam Abu Hanifa:
The Madhab of Imam Abu Hanifa is among the most critical and harshest quotes on music. Imam Abu Hanifa's students clearly declared musical instruments haram and anyone who listens to it is considered a fasiq whose testimony is not accepted.

Some went on to say that listening to music is fisq (astray) and enjoying it is kufr. They used weak hadith to support that statement.

They also said one must strive not to listen to it if he passes by it or if its near him.

Abu Yusuf, one of Abu Hanifa's most famous teachers, said, "A house that music is heard from can be raided without permission because ordaining the good and forbidding the evil is fard, and if we require permission for entry in such situation then people would not be able to perform the fard of forbidding the evil."

Imam Malik:
Imam Malik (rahimahu Allah) was asked about those who play the drums and flute and those who enjoy listening to it as one passes by.

He said one must get up and leave unless he is sitting for something extremely urgent or cannot get up. If he hears it in his pathway then he should go back or speed forward.

He said music is something the fusooq (astray) do.

Ibn Abdal Bar (rahimahu Allah) said scholars agree by ijma3 on the issue of riba, that the dowry of the prostitution is taking payment for weeping over the dead, forturne tellers those who claim to know unforeseen and news of the skies, musical instruments, and all wrongful play.

Imam Shafi'i:
His students and those truly knowledgeable of his madhab clearly declared music and musical instruments haram and denied that he ever said it was halal.

The author of "Kifayat al Akbar", who is a Shafi'i scholar, considered musical instruments an evil that needed to be forbidden upon those who hear or see it. He said that a person is not excused if scholars who go with the flow are present (make a fatwa for it) or if they are poor (meaning the Sufis as that was one of their names back then). Because they are ignorant followers of everyone who barks. They never follow the brightness of knowledge but bend to every wind.

Imam Ahmad:
Imam Ahmad's son, Abdullah, asked his father about music. His father said, "It grows hypocrisy within one's heart and I dislike it." And, then he said Imam Maliks quote that only fusooq (astray) do it.

Ibn Qudamah, who is considered among the biggest Imam of the Hanbali Madhabs, said, "Musical instruments are haram like guitar, trumpets, flutes, drums and so on. Whoever continues to listen to it, his testimony is rejected.

And then he goes on to say, "If one goes to a wedding with prohibition like alcohol musical instrument and can forbid evil then he must otherwise he should not attend."

It is such sad and foolish thing that some of so called liberal and secular muslims choose to listen to music and defends it until their death, ignoring Quran most.

May Allah guide us.
Don't you think you have misunderstood Islam!? And if you think I do like this because I'm liberal and secular, you're wrong. Because, I have my own evidence from Aboutislam.net which they explained that not all form of music and songs are prohibited and there is a condition which you must follow it(e.g. Don't let music to distract you from remembrance)

Music can contain good message or bad message, so you pick the music which has good message whether is Rock or Pop.

As matter of fact, I'm reformed and now I have become proper Muslim, because I have seen some mistakes which some scholars do and foolish I was that I listened.

Get it?

MazharShafiq
12-26-2020, 04:17 PM
Ameen

Islami.Mu'mina
12-26-2020, 05:06 PM
Yeah it's haram and we should always listen to the law of Allah but I've personally noticed how damaging it can be. Music used to make me depressed and unproductive. Most people who listen to music would have no idea what I'm talking about, they really think it is helpful.

I've seen people who are depressed and sad listen to sad types of music. Music that talks about depression and how you're down in the lows. They do this as their form of aid thinking it helps. But what it actually does is that it keeps having you think about your memories that hurt you and the sad instrumental music keeps you in that sad mood. Some people at least are smarter to pick happy type of music when they're sad, which is a little better... But it gives them a sense of false hope. While you're listening to the song, you may lighten up a little, but then you'll be distracted from your problems. Then when you turn the music off.. There's no more distraction. The solution is to internally solve whatever is making you sad.

I've even seen my mom especially, she can be an emotional wreck sometmes. When she'll turn up some sad songs to "help" her, she starts crying so much and bringing up memories from like 20+ years ago and she'll get mad and sad.

Nowdays many teens listen to music constantly throughout the day. I've noticed that some their earbuds 24/7 because they can't focus without it.

Music is strong at triggering your emotions, it is also a powerful tool. And you will eventually you are going to become what you listen to. (Music filled with much filthy lyrics now)

I have cut out music myself but I get many temptations.. I used to be a a very passionate musician.. So I try to stay away from music that might be coming from the TV or someone might be playing it around me.. Because it gets me too excited, emotional, and tempted to listen to it

It's like a drug, just like video games, and other things.. So when you cut it out and listen to a little, it is a lot more powerful since you aren't addicted

There was one time I relapsed and listened to a long period at once. I am not ever doing it again. I felt so lively and excited while listening with my buds.. I got many different euphoric thoughts about life and everything.. I even got the chills and shivers out of excitement. But as soon as I took my buds out and stopped listening.. I felt extremely tired with a slight headache and an urge to listen to more. And then the guilt because I had completely been distracted from the fact that it's haram.

Look at the bad effects. Video games are bad as well. There was one time I ended up playing a video game, test it out without turning on its music.. I started playing, it was fun and interesting. But after an hour, I felt so horrible and tried. My eyes were aching even though i made sure to blink.. I felt like doing absolutely nothing for the rest of the day. It felt like I wasted my time on something that wasn't genuinely fun, but rather it was occupying my time. And I wonder how others can play for hours and hours? It's because you end up needing more and more to "satisfy" yourself since you're addicted. Some people can't even properly think until they get their gaming time in.

Video games are bad as well. We should donate our free time to more beneficial stuff.

Yeah some people may think that cutting these two out are hard.. They may wonder how are they going to have fun? It's only something you'll notice after cutting out for awhile. It'll be hard to say no to these things, but the results are awesome. Without these two I feel like a much more spiritual person who donates my time to my well being, Islam, and productivity. I feel free. I am not addicted to anything! It's like I can do whatever I want. And the best thing about it is that the simplest things will end up making you happy. Not a temporary happiness from the dopamine release after acting on your desires with an addiction... But a permanent happiness and awareness of what's going on in life.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
taha_
12-27-2020, 06:12 AM
JazakAllah khair for sharing your story

I used to play video games too aswell. I became addicted to it, when I was little. I even ended up quitting schools due to that reason

But now as I got older, I lost interest in gaming. Still somewhat I am influenced, it is a struggle.though quitting video games was actually made easy for me by Allah.

Islami.Mu'mina
12-31-2020, 07:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nitro Zeus
Don't you think you have misunderstood Islam!? And if you think I do like this because I'm liberal and secular, you're wrong. Because, I have my own evidence from Aboutislam.net which they explained that not all form of music and songs are prohibited and there is a condition which you must follow it(e.g. Don't let music to distract you from remembrance)

Music can contain good message or bad message, so you pick the music which has good message whether is Rock or Pop.

As matter of fact, I'm reformed and now I have become proper Muslim, because I have seen some mistakes which some scholars do and foolish I was that I listened.

Get it?
Brother, listening to poetry, lyrics from a song aren't necessarily bad if the lyrics enjoin us towards good and to Allah. But it is accompanied by musical instruments which is considered haram.

Can you give me proof that it is ok to listen to instruments?

Some people say it isn't haram for the reason you gave, but that is not sound evidence.

that he heard the Prophet (ﷺ) saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful.
See, Muhammad pbuh told us that this would come and people will say musical instruments are lawful

Btw, aboutislam.net...

that website is more good for therapy/counselling, not fiqh

try out Islamqa.org for fiqh

MazharShafiq
12-31-2020, 02:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islami.Mu'mina
Brother, listening to poetry, lyrics from a song aren't necessarily bad if the lyrics enjoin us towards good and to Allah. But it is accompanied by musical instruments which is considered haram.

Some people say it isn't haram for the reason you gave, but that is not sound evidence.

See, Muhammad pbuh told us that this would come and people will say musical instruments are lawful

Btw, aboutislam.net...

Yes absolutely right musical instruments are definitely haram according to ahadees.

Nitro Zeus
12-31-2020, 02:58 PM

My proof that music is halal generally but it becomes haram if it is abused:

https://aboutislam.net/counseling/as...usic-unlawful/

Btw, aboutislam.net...

I pray for Allah(SwT) To help you understand the Divine Laws and I pray for Allah to guide the Ummah to the right interpretation and practice of Islam.

Nitro Zeus
12-31-2020, 03:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MazharShafiq
Yes absolutely right musical instruments are definitely haram according to ahadees.
I challenge you for a debate via discord for I have prepared my arguments.

Islami.Mu'mina
12-31-2020, 04:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nitro Zeus
I pray for Allah(SwT) To help you understand the Divine Laws and I pray for Allah to guide the Ummah to the right interpretation and practice of Islam.
Wait.. Why did you change my quote? I did not say music is halal at all

Oh nvm, did you just add that in as something as what you wanted to say? Just be careful when you do that brother, it starts confusion.. When you put your own words into my quote, it makes me sound like I said something I didn't say but I understand you were just trying to reply to me

Islami.Mu'mina
12-31-2020, 04:07 PM
From aboutislam.net, the link you sent

Furthermore, if the music itself should be condemned outright, why did the Prophet told us to recite the Qur’an melodiously, and why did the Prophet himself allow the music in weddings? Mind you he also listened to the girls singing in a wedding celebration he attended.
They are leaving out information, unfortunately.. He only allowed the daff to be played at weddings, nothing else. and Im pretty sure the girls who were singing were young girls as well

Nitro Zeus
12-31-2020, 04:12 PM
Wait.. Why did you change my quote? I did not say music is halal at all

Oh nvm, did you just add that in as something as what you wanted to say? Just be careful when you do that brother, it starts confusion.. When you put your own words into my quote, it makes me sound like I said something I didn't say but I understand you were just trying to reply to me
I'm so sorry sister, that's not what I had in mind to do. I wanted to break down into paragraphs so I can make a quotation like most of you guys do to my posts

Islami.Mu'mina
12-31-2020, 04:12 PM
I challenge you for a debate via discord for I have prepared my arguments.
You and him are free to do whatever you want but there really shouldn't have to be a debate on this.

You are putting all your trust in a counselling website and someone else's words as opposed to what Taha had written, which uses actual evidence from the hadith and Quran

BeTheChange
12-31-2020, 04:27 PM
Asalamualykum

Lets leave the debate to the scholars insha Allah. It's always been a very controversial topic and always will be so we may need to agree to disagree on this one.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.