/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with debated haram/halal issues like Art?

Mert
12-30-2020, 12:12 AM
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I hope that you are doing well. I'm a Muslim artist and Art school graduate who lives in the UK. Recently I came across the Ahadith about Image makers and what our beloved Prophet (s.a.v.) supposedly said about artists. Ever since that I have stopped drawing humans or animals or things with a Ruh.
I have and still am reading and learning a lot about the different positions and opinions from respected scholars and Islamic schools on the topic of Art, which vary quite a lot. I probably have read every single article and book on the topic. I can understand the scholars who prohibit it and I can also understand the ones who allow the depiction of humans or animals given that they are depicted in a halal way. However there are some things in both positions that lack logic and need more discussion. Since our beloved last Prophet (s.a.v.) has supposedly said to leave something which we are not sure about whether it is haram or not for something that is without a doubt halal, I have stopped drawing living things.
Nevertheless, I read a lot of things about these kind of debated topics almost on a daily basis and they really confuse me quite a lot, since usually most opinions are reasonable. This leaves me torn between two opinions.
My question is, how do you guys deal with such topics that are heavily debated and where both sides are very reasonable?
May Allah (s.w.t.) forgive us and guide us to the right path.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Islami.Mu'mina
12-31-2020, 05:00 AM
For situations like these, I genuinely be honest with myself and ignore my desires. I look at the evidence given and compare it

For art. I follow the opinion that it is haram to draw anything with a ruh in it. This is a the major opinion and I'm pretty sure all 4 imams agree. The evidence is very obvious for this one.

SoldierAmatUllah
12-31-2020, 06:15 AM
By leaving something for increase in Taqwa&to get rid of one's own desires as rejecting desires saves from punishment of Allah.

MazharShafiq
12-31-2020, 02:31 PM
Ibn 'Abbas and Aisha reported that: Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said: Whoever makes a picture will be punished by Allah till he puts life in it, and he will never be able to put life in it.

Hadith - Bukhari 4:448, Narrated Abu Talha I heard Allah's Apostle saying; "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal)."

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.