/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Pork or Bacon flavoured crisps / chips

Imraan
01-03-2021, 04:13 PM
Assalam walaikum

Would you eat pork or Bacon flavoured crisps despite it saying
"suitable for vegetarian"?

I eat walkers chicken flavoured crisps (where it says suitable for vegetarian), and that's because I eat chicken nearly everyday in general, alhamdulillah.

But I would not eat bacon or pork flavoured crisps.. Yuk.
Would you?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
المدينه
01-03-2021, 04:49 PM
"Suitable for vegetarian" but meat flavored?? The idea itself is not very appealing to me at all. I am not any kind of -tarian but how can that even taste good?

Pork/bacon? Nope. Not at all.

Now some fake cheese flavored nachos? Yup, guilty

BeTheChange
01-03-2021, 05:07 PM
Walaikumasalaam

No i would definitively stay away. Some claim it is halaal but where there is a doubt you simply stay away.

To be honest the food industry is disgusting these days. Remember the horsemeat scandal? Recently Malaysian Muslims found out they were eating haraam meat labelled as halaal. I stay away from meat as much as possible and only eat qurbani meat.

Just be careful because even though foods have vegetarian logo they can contain alcohol and of course if you've checked the label once doesn't mean the company isn't going to change they receipe. One minute it's halaal & next minute it's not so it can be hard work. Stick to what you know insha Allah.

Eat nutritious food. Food that will nourish your body and soul insha Allah. Eat less. Quality over quantity insha Allah.

Islami.Mu'mina
01-03-2021, 05:57 PM
I probably wouldn't.. I don't know, pork probably tastes good, but I always get disgusted anyway lol

When I used to go to elementary school, I always loved to eat the ham they served us..

Thinking about it now, I still remember the taste yet I get disgusted of it

I guess it has to do with our negative impure perception of pork

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Imraan
01-03-2021, 06:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by المدينه
"Suitable for vegetarian" but meat flavored?? The idea itself is not very appealing to me at all. I am not any kind of -tarian but how can that even taste good?

Pork/bacon? Nope. Not at all.

Now some fake cheese flavored nachos? Yup, guilty
Well meat flavoured crisps can taste nice, McCoy's and Max steak flavoured crisps. I was just glad it said suitable for vegetarian. Here in the UK food manufacturing is regulated and closely monitored, scandals are rare.. I.e. Horsemeat incident. Company's face big fines and owners face potential prosecutions if caught.

Lol. Fake cheese flavoured??? .. We have only real cheese flavoured crisps n nachos here in the UK.

Imraan
01-03-2021, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by BeTheChange
Walaikumasalaam

No i would definitively stay away. Some claim it is halaal but where there is a doubt you simply stay away.

To be honest the food industry is disgusting these days. Remember the horsemeat scandal? Recently Malaysian Muslims found out they were eating haraam meat labelled as halaal. I stay away from meat as much as possible and only eat qurbani meat.

Just be careful because even though foods have vegetarian logo they can contain alcohol and of course if you've checked the label once doesn't mean the company isn't going to change they receipe. One minute it's halaal & next minute it's not so it can be hard work. Stick to what you know insha Allah.

Eat nutritious food. Food that will nourish your body and soul insha Allah. Eat less. Quality over quantity insha Allah.
The walkers chicken flavour alternated as suitable for vegetarian and then 'not'. Hit news and media in the UK at one point. At the moment it is suitable for vegetarian. It's a force of habit now anyway when buying / eating crisps n sweets, looking for the v sign or checking ingredients. What we dont check for is each and every 'E' number, then have to refer to various websites for guidance.

Ethanol is used in decontaminating or sterilising the packaging only, not in the food products itself. Are you referring to that alcohol or alcohol found in some premium chocolates?

*charisma*
01-03-2021, 06:37 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

If it is vegetarian then it is halaal. There is halaal "bacon" and halaal "beer."

Imraan
01-03-2021, 06:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum,

If it is vegetarian then it is halaal. There is halaal "bacon" and halaal "beer."
In the uk, halal version of bacon is common in muslim owned pizza and gourmet burger shops, its basically thin slices of turkey, it is even referred to as 'turkey bacon'
0% alcohol beer... never tried it
0% alcohol champage... yes we have it in the shops.... brand called 'Shloer' is popular. Whether it tastes like champagne i'll never know.

BeTheChange
01-03-2021, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Imraan
The walkers chicken flavour alternated as suitable for vegetarian and then 'not'. Hit news and media in the UK at one point. At the moment it is suitable for vegetarian. It's a force of habit now anyway when buying / eating crisps n sweets, looking for the v sign or checking ingredients. What we dont check for is each and every 'E' number, then have to refer to various websites for guidance.

Ethanol is used in decontaminating or sterilising the packaging only, not in the food products itself. Are you referring to that alcohol or alcohol found in some premium chocolates?

Yeah it's best to ring the company direct if you are unsure. Tbh i used to buy food with no V sign and judge based on the ingredients but they don't disclose all the ingredients on the packaging or like you say I'm not sure what the E numbers refer to so now i avoid all food with no V sign.

Yeah referring to food with alcohol in.

Walaikumasalaam sister Charisma. Good to see you posting Alhamdulillah.

Simply_Logical
01-03-2021, 07:51 PM
Walaikumasalaam

Yea im like you I avoid any flavour crisp which is replicated as beef bacon etc etc

Just don't see the point, not like we don't have many flavours to choose from tbh

What happened in Malaysia?

Simply_Logical
01-03-2021, 07:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islami.Mu'mina
I probably wouldn't.. I don't know, pork probably tastes good, but I always get disgusted anyway lol

When I used to go to elementary school, I always loved to eat the ham they served us..

Thinking about it now, I still remember the taste yet I get disgusted of it

I guess it has to do with out negative impure perception of pork
I don't like the look of pork let alone it tasting good lol

Islami.Mu'mina
01-03-2021, 10:28 PM
But I would not eat bacon
I don't like the look of pork
I guess it has to do with our negative impure perception of pork

I have never tried pork bacon, but I'm assuming it tastes similar to turkey or beef bacon. I love turkey bacon though and would love to try some turkey bacon flavored crisps

If we all heard about pork bacon flavored crisps (without the use of pork), most of us would feel disgusted to try it.

Let's say there was a Muslim who was put into an experiment. A muslim who is disgusted about thinking of trying pork bacon, but would definitely love to try some turkey bacon crisps as this person loves eating turkey bacon.

This Muslim is then fed with some chips that are claimed to be turkey bacon flavored, but in reality they are pork flavored(but the muslim does not know this)... How do you think this Muslim would react? Obviously since pork does taste different, they would think it tastes different from turkey bacon.. But they would still probably be at least interested in the taste if they don't already like it.. because they probably think it is turkey bacon flavored

but then you have experiment two! The reverse situation!

You take a Muslim who has the same mentality and preference on pork and turkey bacon..

You give him a bag of chips that are claimed to be pork flavored (but it is turkey bacon flavor.. The muslim does not know this though) .. This person is dreading the fact that he has to try it.. Because ewwww pork is disgusting right? The Muslim then tries it..

I bet due to the placebo effect.. Even if he is a turkey lover, all of a sudden these turkey bacon chips would be disgusting because of it being labelled as pork and him imagining it to be pork bacon flavored

- - - Updated - - -

format_quote Originally Posted by Simply_Logical
I don't like the look of pork let alone it tasting good lol
Yeah.. I get disgusted by the sight of seeing others eat it as well lol

When i saw pork flavored crisps in the store for the first time, I cringed

Revert alYunani
01-04-2021, 06:09 AM
The prophet saws have warned us against eating meat everyday, cuz it would make us hearts stronger.Try to limit it. Eat fish instead of in shaa Allah... Salmon is great

No i wouldnt eat anything bacon flavoured as i can notice the taste and smell of pork and it disguses me. I dont miss it elhamdulillah

Imraan
01-04-2021, 06:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Revert alYunani
The prophet saws have warned us against eating meat everyday, cuz it would make us hearts stronger.Try to limit it. Eat fish instead of in shaa Allah... Salmon is great

No i wouldnt eat anything bacon flavoured as i can notice the taste and smell of pork and it disguses me. I dont miss it elhamdulillah
Not to eat meat everyday.... Is that in a hadeeth @Revert alYunani ?

I eat chicken everyday, if not chicken then its red meat, one or the other, seldom miss out on both meats on some days and just have veg. Again Alhamdulillah, not everyone has that privelage.
Eat fish too, but not everyday. Its like once or twice a week.

Revert alYunani
01-04-2021, 06:55 AM
Not to eat meat everyday.... Is that in a hadeeth @Revert alYunani ?

I eat chicken everyday, if not chicken then its red meat, one or the other, seldom miss out on both meats on some days and just have veg. Again Alhamdulillah, not everyone has that privelage.
Eat fish too, but not everyday. Its like once or twice a week.
Okay now first of all i should not speak without being sure.I am sorry if i gave wrong info, i read it once when i was looking for the prophetic diet and took it for granted. Thing is im not sure lol. Anyway i found you smth, you can check the authenticy yourself and let me know too i have a lot of meat in the fridge that id love to eat but im refraining myself. Anyway even if these texts are not reliable the truth is the prophet saws didnt eat meat everyday.

This is from hamza yusuf
So traditionally Muslims were semi-vegetarians. The Prophet was, I mean, technically, the Prophet (SAWS) was in that category. He was not a meat-eater. Most of his meals did not have meat in them. And the proof of that is clearly in the Muwatta—when Sayyidina Umar says, ‘Beware of meat, because it has an addiction like the addiction of wine.’ And the other hadith in the Muwatta—there is a chapter called ‘Bab al-Laham,’ the chapter of laham, the chapter of meat. Both are from Sayyidina Umar. And Umar, during his khilafa, prohibited people from eating meat two days in a row. He only allowed them to eat [it] every other day. And the khalifa has that right to do that. He did not let people eat meat every day � he saw one man eating meat every day, and he said to him, ‘Every time you get hungry you go out and buy meat? Right? In other words, every time your nafs wants meat, you go out and buy it?’ He said, ‘Yeah, Amir al-Mumineen, ana qaram,’ which in Arabic, ‘qaram’ means ‘I love meat’—he’s a carnivore, he loves meat. And Sayyidina Umar said, ‘It would be better for you to roll up your tummy a little bit so that other people can eat.'”

“Now Umar, if there was a prophet after the Prophet, it would have been Umar. And that is really verging on prophecy, that statement. Because if you study the modern meat industry, you will find out that a lot of the famine in the world is a direct result of the overconsumption of meat in countries like the United States and Canada and Europe, because the amount of grain needed to produce 1 pound of meat, right, is much greater than the amount you need to produce grain itself. And beef in particular—I really recommend Rifkin’s book Beyond Beef. It’s an extraordinary book. And it’s interesting ‘Baqara’ is also a chapter of the Qur’an (‘kill the cow’), because beef-eating societies just have massive impact on the environment, on natural resources, on all these things. And traditionally the Muslims were not cow-eaters, they were sheep and lamb [-eaters] when they did eat meat.”

The 2 hadith
Hazrat Ali Ibn Abi Talib, the cousin and son-in-law of Prophet Muhammad, the fourth Khalifa as per Sunni belief, has been quoted in Sharh Nahjul Balagha, as saying: “Do not make your stomach a graveyard of animals”.

At one time the Rasul of Allah said to his cousin ‘Ali, ‘O ‘Ali, you should not eat meat. If you eat meat for 40 days, those qualities will come within you. Because of that, your human qualities will change, your compassionate qualities will change, and the essence of your body will change.’ “

Please check the authenticity

Ümit
01-04-2021, 10:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum,

You are probably right about that, however, it still sounds a bit odd to me.

I am pretty sure there are hadeeths about not to imitate the kuffar.

So, even IF all the ingredients in "Halal" beer and bacon are completely halal...you are still "pretending" to eat pork and drink beer.
my gut feeling says that we should avoid that too.

'Abd-al Latif
01-04-2021, 12:37 PM
Assalam walaikum

Would you eat pork or Bacon flavoured crisps despite it saying
"suitable for vegetarian"?

I eat walkers chicken flavoured crisps (where it says suitable for vegetarian), and that's because I eat chicken nearly everyday in general, alhamdulillah.

Would you?
As long as there aren't any haram products (such as pork or other animal extracts) in these food, it's permissible. This is the case even if they name their products as bacon or chicken.

MazharShafiq
01-04-2021, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
As long as there aren't any haram products (such as pork or other animal extracts) in these food, it's permissible. This is the case even if they name their products as bacon or chicken.
Yes absolutely

manofIslam
01-04-2021, 05:37 PM
No! It's Haraam for we Muslims to eat anything which comes from Swine!!

*charisma*
01-05-2021, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ümit
You are probably right about that, however, it still sounds a bit odd to me.

I am pretty sure there are hadeeths about not to imitate the kuffar.

So, even IF all the ingredients in "Halal" beer and bacon are completely halal...you are still "pretending" to eat pork and drink beer.
my gut feeling says that we should avoid that too.
Don't complicate things where they are simple. It is vegetarian therefore halaal. Whatever the culture decides to name it does not have an effect on its permissibility. We are not forbidden swine and alcohol because of their flavors.

'Abd-al Latif
01-05-2021, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by manofIslam
No! It's Haraam for we Muslims to eat anything which comes from Swine!!
There aren't any impermissible ingredients in it. What makes it haram?

Simply_Logical
01-05-2021, 08:14 PM
personally i would stay away, got loads of flavours we can have anyway so no biggie tbh

keiv
01-05-2021, 11:30 PM
No, I wouldn't

Out of all the snack choices we have today, why would any Muslim choose something that is engineered to taste like pork, of all things? Go snack on some roasted almonds or something :)

keiv
01-05-2021, 11:44 PM
Walaikumasalaam

Exactly. Labels don't mean anything these days.

Another thing is that one piece of machinery can also be used to make several different products. It's like eating fried vegetables that was prepared on a cooker that had bacon sizzling right next to it.

Revert alYunani
01-07-2021, 04:05 PM

can smn edit this?? im WRONG...this guy just liked it...astagfirullah i am WRONG,i have no evidence for that!...dont take what i say for granted

Islami.Mu'mina
01-07-2021, 08:54 PM
can smn edit this?? im WRONG...this guy just liked it...astagfirullah i am WRONG,i have no evidence for that!...dont take what i say for granted
Doesn't it allow you to edit yourself? And he'll probably see this comment you just made

But I'm pretty sure you're correct about that statement, I think I might've remembered a hadith talking about not having meat too often. But I have to check up on it

Revert alYunani
01-08-2021, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islami.Mu'mina
Doesn't it allow you to edit yourself? And he'll probably see this comment you just made

But I'm pretty sure you're correct about that statement, I think I might've remembered a hadith talking about not having meat too often. But I have to check up on it
no i cant,weird.....i found one too though i have no evidence to show that it is true,no line of transmissions nothing,so if you ever find smth please tell me too ok? jz khair
my whole food menu depends on this

taha_
01-08-2021, 04:24 AM
Assalam o Alaikum rahamtullahi wa barakuthu.

Probably this hadith is similar to what you have talked about? This is the saying of Hazrat Umar. He discouraged eating meats all the time.

Yahya related to me from Malik from Yahya ibn Said that Umar ibn al-Khattab said, “Beware of meat. It has addictiveness like the addictiveness of wine.”

(Imam Malik’s Al-Muewetta 1710)

- - - Updated - - -

https://sunnah.com/urn/417690

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.