/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Specific Phobia Anxiety (fear of heights)

FinalNyc
01-27-2021, 06:24 AM
I had specific phobia anxiety and I always feel intense fear of a specific object or situation, such as heights or flying. Even If I keep Ignoring my anxiety, It doesn't go away and the relentless thoughts just endlessly continue in my head. It really bothers me and I don't know what should I do about it. In your opinion, What will I do to get rid of this as soon as possible aside from consulting a psychiatrist?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Eric H
01-27-2021, 11:44 AM
Greetings and peace be with you FinalNyc;

I always feel intense fear of a specific object or situation, such as flying.
I have had this same kind of fear from the first time I went in a plane at the age of 16. I have flown dozens of times since and still feel apprehensive each time. Once we have landed, I reflect on the flight, which is mostly a pleasant experience, probably more enjoyable and less bumpy than coach journeys.

My fear is not flying, but the fear of engine failure or crash landing; but millions fly safely every year. We hear on the news that crashes can happen; but statistically; plane travel is far safer than travelling in a car; and we do car journeys without these fears.

Please ignore this if you feel I am wrong, but I don't think consulting a psychiatrist is helpful. The only way to overcome fear of flying, is to get on a plane and fly, then you have to fly back again. The more you face your fears and just do it, the stronger you become.

The reverse is also true, the more you avoid going on planes when opportunities happen, will make you more fearful over time.

If you have to fly, trust in Allah and go.

May Allah bless you on your journey,
Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.