/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why is there a hadith about beating wife for praying

RadioCRIT.55
02-16-2021, 01:24 AM
Assalamialaykum,can someone explain the context of this hadith.

“A woman came to the Prophet (ﷺ) while we were with him. She said: Messenger of Allah, my husband, Safwan ibn al-Mu'attal, beats me when I pray, and makes me break my fast when I keep a fast, and he does not offer the dawn prayer until the sun rises. He asked Safwan, who was present, about what she had said. He replied: Messenger of Allah, as for her statement "he beats me when I pray", she recites two surahs (during prayer) and I have prohibited her (to do so). He (the Prophet) said: If one surah is recited (during prayer), that is sufficient for the people....”
sunan abu dawud book 13 hadith 2453 authentic.
it seems that the husband beat his wife while she prayed because she read an extra surah and he didnt want her to.I’m confused about why he wasn’t rebuked for it.Does anyone know the contex

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
02-16-2021, 10:00 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

The full hadith:

حَدَّثَنَا عُثْمَانُ بْنُ أَبِي شَيْبَةَ، حَدَّثَنَا جَرِيرٌ، عَنِ الأَعْمَشِ، عَنْ أَبِي صَالِحٍ، عَنْ أَبِي سَعِيدٍ، قَالَ جَاءَتِ امْرَأَةٌ إِلَى النَّبِيِّ صلى الله عليه وسلم وَنَحْنُ عِنْدَهُ فَقَالَتْ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ إِنَّ زَوْجِي صَفْوَانَ بْنَ الْمُعَطَّلِ يَضْرِبُنِي إِذَا صَلَّيْتُ وَيُفَطِّرُنِي إِذَا صُمْتُ وَلاَ يُصَلِّي صَلاَةَ الْفَجْرِ حَتَّى تَطْلُعَ الشَّمْسُ ‏.‏ قَالَ وَصَفْوَانُ عِنْدَهُ ‏.‏ قَالَ فَسَأَلَهُ عَمَّا قَالَتْ فَقَالَ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ أَمَّا قَوْلُهَا يَضْرِبُنِي إِذَا صَلَّيْتُ فَإِنَّهَا تَقْرَأُ بِسُورَتَيْنِ وَقَدْ نَهَيْتُهَا ‏.‏ قَالَ فَقَالَ ‏"‏ لَوْ كَانَتْ سُورَةً وَاحِدَةً لَكَفَتِ النَّاسَ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ وَأَمَّا قَوْلُهَا يُفَطِّرُنِي فَإِنَّهَا تَنْطَلِقُ فَتَصُومُ وَأَنَا رَجُلٌ شَابٌّ فَلاَ أَصْبِرُ ‏.‏ فَقَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَوْمَئِذٍ ‏"‏ لاَ تَصُومُ امْرَأَةٌ إِلاَّ بِإِذْنِ زَوْجِهَا ‏"‏ ‏.‏ وَأَمَّا قَوْلُهَا إِنِّي لاَ أُصَلِّي حَتَّى تَطْلُعَ الشَّمْسُ فَإِنَّا أَهْلُ بَيْتٍ قَدْ عُرِفَ لَنَا ذَاكَ لاَ نَكَادُ نَسْتَيْقِظُ حَتَّى تَطْلُعَ الشَّمْسُ ‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ فَإِذَا اسْتَيْقَظْتَ فَصَلِّ ‏"‏ ‏.‏ قَالَ أَبُو دَاوُدَ رَوَاهُ حَمَّادٌ - يَعْنِي ابْنَ سَلَمَةَ - عَنْ حُمَيْدٍ أَوْ ثَابِتٍ عَنْ أَبِي الْمُتَوَكِّلِ ‏.‏

Narrated AbuSa'id al-Khudri:
A woman came to the Prophet (ﷺ) while we were with him.
She said: Messenger of Allah, my husband, Safwan ibn al-Mu'attal, beats me when I pray, and makes me break my fast when I keep a fast, and he does not offer the dawn prayer until the sun rises.
He asked Safwan, who was present, about what she had said. He replied: Messenger of Allah, as for her statement "he beats me when I pray", she recites two surahs (during prayer) and I have prohibited her (to do so).
He (the Prophet) said: If one surah is recited (during prayer), that is sufficient for the people.
(Safwan continued: ) As regards her saying "he makes me break my fast," she dotes on fasting; I am a young man, I cannot restrain myself.
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said on that day: A woman should not fast except with the permission of her husband.
(Safwan said: ) As for her statement that I do not pray until the sun rises, we are a people belonging to a class, and that (our profession of supplying water) is already known about us. We do not awake until the sun rises. He said: When you awake, offer your prayer.

Sunan Abi Dawud 2459

--

My guess is that she was taking too long doing her prayers by reciting two surahs. Doesn't indicate how long the surahs are so they could be very long surahs rather than short ones and maybe it was keeping her away from her duties when it is sufficient to recite just one surah.

Ümit
02-16-2021, 11:31 AM
I think I understand the underlying message in this hadeeth:

This world is temporary. The next world is permanent. Working on your Ahirah (your place in the next world) is therefore very important for us.
However, we have duties that must be fullfilled by us in this world.

Many of us, try to give the good example by doing his very best for his Ahirah...praying as much as he can, nafilah fasting, duaas, zikr...
So much that his everyday duties are being neglegted...duties to fullfill for his family, boss, friends.

This hadeeth shows, that it is not OK to neglect your worldly duties for your deen.
in other words: you can not use making nafilah ibadah as an excuse to speak yourself free from fullfilling an important worldly duty.

I used the male example instead of the female like in the hadeeth on purpose, because I think the overall given message applies to everyone, and not only females.

So do not neglect to go to the bakery to buy bread for your family just because you want to do a nafilah salat in the mosque and the bakery happens to be in the opposite direction.
you will be better off providing in the daily needs of your family instead of doing that extra nafilah salat.

Of course, if you are able to do both, that would be even better, but if you have to choose the one or the other, then, worldly duties are of a higher priority than nafilah ibaadah.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

xboxisdead
02-16-2021, 09:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ümit
I think I understand the underlying message in this hadeeth:

This world is temporary. The next world is permanent. Working on your Ahirah (your place in the next world) is therefore very important for us.
However, we have duties that must be fullfilled by us in this world.

Many of us, try to give the good example by doing his very best for his Ahirah...praying as much as he can, nafilah fasting, duaas, zikr...
So much that his everyday duties are being neglegted...duties to fullfill for his family, boss, friends.

This hadeeth shows, that it is not OK to neglect your worldly duties for your deen.
in other words: you can not use making nafilah ibadah as an excuse to speak yourself free from fullfilling an important worldly duty.

I used the male example instead of the female like in the hadeeth on purpose, because I think the overall given message applies to everyone, and not only females.

So do not neglect to go to the bakery to buy bread for your family just because you want to do a nafilah salat in the mosque and the bakery happens to be in the opposite direction.
you will be better off providing in the daily needs of your family instead of doing that extra nafilah salat.

Of course, if you are able to do both, that would be even better, but if you have to choose the one or the other, then, worldly duties are of a higher priority than nafilah ibaadah.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct. There is already a male version of this, it is about a man who spend most of his life in the mosque instead of going out to work and fulfilling his duty to his wife and children. There is already an ahadith about such thing targeted to men. This is the same version for the female but in her homes.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.