/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islamic Issues at Home.

hewiewhj
03-29-2021, 02:12 AM
Today my mother prohibited me from reading the quran, growing a beard, and said that all hadiths are untrustworthy and that islamic scholars are not to be listened to. My family fears I will become a radical muslim. Thoughts?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Silas
03-30-2021, 01:23 PM
What is your family background? Arab? European?

did they have some experience with radicalism in the past that now makes them fearful of it?

Al-Ansariyah
03-30-2021, 01:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by hewiewhj
Today my mother prohibited me from reading the quran, growing a beard, and said that all hadiths are untrustworthy and that islamic scholars are not to be listened to. My family fears I will become a radical muslim. Thoughts?
Islam is seen as radical by ignorants. If your parents stop you from worshipping Allah, you DO NOT have to obey them but be respectful and kind towards them.

hewiewhj
03-30-2021, 02:47 PM
My family comes from Bangladesh but I was born in the US. My mother told me that religion was forced upon her and my uncle from a young age (I don't know to what degree it was forced upon them) and that in retaliation they became less religious. My mother even accused my father of being an Islamic Fundamentalist before they got divorced. My mother will always keeps pointing out to my Muslim friends and her Bengali friends and Bengali teens who are more religious than me and don't grow beards. I will still read the Qur'an but I tried my best to convince her that I am a nice and moderate Muslim but she won't believe me. I have to practice in secret to avoid further conflict.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
hewiewhj
03-30-2021, 02:50 PM
Thank you for the advice. I appreciate your support.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.