/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Rage during fasting

Flos
04-19-2021, 09:04 PM
Assalamu alaikum,

I know many Muslims around me who have decided not to fast because when they do, they're super furious and argue and fight with everyone around them. In these states they really hurt people, especially those close to them. All of them are really good practicing Muslims, so it's not just an excuse. All of them feed hungry people during and after Ramadan.

Sometimes this anger happens to me, too. But I broke fast few times only because once on the street I almost hit a person for passing wrongly by me. There I figured that something was wrong and I broke fasting and felt differently.

I often feel this way in PMS, right before my period.

Tell me what is better, to fast or not when furious? What does sunnah say about it?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al-Ansariyah
04-19-2021, 10:37 PM
و عليكم السلام ورحمةالله وبركاته
Fasting in ramadan is obligatory. We should not leave any fast except with a valid reason. Everyone gets angry but we should refrain from it in ramadan especially. And if in case we do get furious, we should repent immediately. Thats it. But we shouldnt break the fast altogether.

IslamLife00
04-20-2021, 01:40 AM
Yrvhere is right. Fast in Ramadan is obligatory, there are conditions of which a person is exempt to fasting, but feeling anger/rage is not one of them.

Flos
04-20-2021, 06:02 AM
Good, thanks. How you deal with it when not able to control the rage during fast?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IslamLife00
04-20-2021, 06:37 AM
I do a few things, but mostly what works is I keep reminding myself the reward of fasting, which is 70 years away from Naar (Fire). That is reward for 1 day of fasting. Imagine if Allah accepts all 29 or 30 days our fasting.

Sometimes just telling myself, "Indeed I am fasting"

When it comes to anger/rage, regardless what causes it, say 'audhu billahi minash-shaytanir-rajim

I will post the hadiths soon inshaAllah

IslamLife00
04-20-2021, 06:42 AM
Narrated Abu Huraira:

A man said to the Prophet (ﷺ) , "Advise me! "The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Do not become angry and furious." The man asked (the same) again and again, and the Prophet (ﷺ) said in each case, "Do not become angry and furious." (Sahih Bukhari)

Narrated Sulaiman bin Sarad:

Two men abused each other in front of the Prophet (ﷺ) while we were sitting with him. One of the two abused his companion furiously and his face became red. The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "I know a word (sentence) the saying of which will cause him to relax if this man says it. Only if he said, "I seek refuge with Allah from Satan, the outcast.' " So they said to that (furious) man, 'Don't you hear what the Prophet (ﷺ) is saying?" He said, "I am not mad." (Sahih Bukhari)

Narrated Abu Hurairah:
The Prophet (ﷺ) as saying: Fast is a shield ; when one of you is fasting, he should neither behave in an obscene manner nor foolishly. If a man fights or abuses him, he should say: I am fasting, I am fasting. (Abu Dawud, At-Tirmidhi)

It was narrated from Abu Sa`eed that the Prophet (ﷺ) said:
"Whoever fasts one day in the cause of Allah, the Mighty and Sublime, Allah will separate his face from the fire by (a distance of) seventy years." (An-Nasa'i)

Flos
04-20-2021, 06:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IslamLife00
Narrated Abu Huraira:

A man said to the Prophet (ﷺ) , "Advise me! "The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Do not become angry and furious." The man asked (the same) again and again, and the Prophet (ﷺ) said in each case, "Do not become angry and furious." (Sahih Bukhari)

Narrated Sulaiman bin Sarad:

Two men abused each other in front of the Prophet (ﷺ) while we were sitting with him. One of the two abused his companion furiously and his face became red. The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "I know a word (sentence) the saying of which will cause him to relax if this man says it. Only if he said, "I seek refuge with Allah from Satan, the outcast.' " So they said to that (furious) man, 'Don't you hear what the Prophet (ﷺ) is saying?" He said, "I am not mad." (Sahih Bukhari)

Narrated Abu Hurairah:
The Prophet (ﷺ) as saying: Fast is a shield ; when one of you is fasting, he should neither behave in an obscene manner nor foolishly. If a man fights or abuses him, he should say: I am fasting, I am fasting. (Abu Dawud, At-Tirmidhi)

It was narrated from Abu Sa`eed that the Prophet (ﷺ) said:
"Whoever fasts one day in the cause of Allah, the Mighty and Sublime, Allah will separate his face from the fire by (a distance of) seventy years." (An-Nasa'i)

This is probably patience on trial, a lot :) I'll keep all this in mind.

In my case it awakens my negative thoughts I used to have during depression - against myself. My perception is different until iftar, then suddenly I'm ok, happy, love everyone...

IslamLife00
04-20-2021, 09:50 AM
Fasting helps removes toxin in the body, I suppose when it comes to toxic thoughts, they get pushed to the surface (no longer hidden) - then you can deal with them better.

Don't be too hard on yourself. I read somewhere : Don't take things in life too seriously, no one gets out of it alive. We are only humans, we do our best according to what we know at the time.

Even Islam as religion, don't overburden yourself :

It was narrated that Abu Hurairah said:”The Messenger of Allah said: ‘Indeed, this religion is easy, and no one will ever overburden himself in religion, except that it will overcome him. So seek what is appropriate, and come as close as you can, and receive the glad tidings (that you will be rewarded), and take it easy; and gain strength by worshipping in the mornings, afternoons, and during the last hours of the nights.'” Sunan An-Nasa'i

May Allah make it easy for you

Eisenman
04-20-2021, 12:23 PM
In nonmuslim perspective, hunger makes one very fragile to negative emotions since the body is being depleted with the nutrients it needs to function properly.

abd.rahman303
04-22-2021, 01:32 PM
Hello!

Anger is a natural human phenomena and is inevitable whether we like it or not. There can be several reasons for anger during a fast. Maybe it is over-indulgence, maybe its caffeine or nicotine addiction, maybe work stress.
To act upon anger and to feed that emotion is a choice we humans have. Everything in life is a choice one way or another. But skipping fast just because you fell angry is not a valid reason not to fast.
There is a hadith in Quran which goes like: "whoever controls his anger when he has the means to act upon it, surely Allah will fill his heart with contentment on day of ressurection."

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.