View Full Version : Vegetarianism and Islam

chitralekha
04-28-2021, 05:37 PM
Is vegetarianism allowed in Islam?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
04-28-2021, 05:55 PM
Yes, why wouldn't it be?

Meat is not forbidden so even if one becomes a vegan/vegetarian, he shouldn't impose it on others when it's something which Allah has made permissible.

keiv
04-28-2021, 09:07 PM
It is allowed. I tend to take more of a vegetarian approach due to the lack of halal shops in my area.

If eating meat is not your thing, that is fine, but don't look at eating meat as something that is wrong because as charisma stated, it has been made permissible (with exceptions).

Ümit
04-29-2021, 06:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Yes, why wouldn't it be?

Meat is not forbidden so even if one becomes a vegan/vegetarian, he shouldn't impose it on others when it's something which Allah has made permissible.
I think the issue is a little bit more complicated than that.
A lot of people are vegetarians or vegans to give a sign off that they care about animals. It is a silent protest against farms and slaughterhouses that keep and slaughter animals under horrible conditions.

When we as muslims buy meat from somewhere with the halal logo on it...we know that the animal is slaughtered in a halal way...but does that logo also guarantee us that the animal is not kept in a too small cage...that the animal is not tortured...not stressed out....not starved...not slaughtered in front of other animals? I do not know whether the halal logo also considers these factors before claim the meat to be halal....but we as muslims should consider these factors...just like those vegetarians and vegans.

On the other hand....veganism nowadays almost evolved into a religion...so we should be careful how far we as muslims want to go along with that.

Personally i am not for veganism. You cannot cut out animal products completely out of your life. Fanatic vegans do not use milk, eggs, leather, wool, etc....which is a bit too extreme.

Besides...at least on Eid al-Adha and on hadj you have to slaughter an animal because that is obligated for a muslim if you can afford it...and then what? How would you deal with that situation as a vegan?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
keiv
04-29-2021, 10:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ümit
I think the issue is a little bit more complicated than that.
A lot of people are vegetarians or vegans to give a sign off that they care about animals. It is a silent protest against farms and slaughterhouses that keep and slaughter animals under horrible conditions.

When we as muslims buy meat from somewhere with the halal logo on it...we know that the animal is slaughtered in a halal way...but does that logo also guarantee us that the animal is not kept in a too small cage...that the animal is not tortured...not stressed out....not starved...not slaughtered in front of other animals? I do not know whether the halal logo also considers these factors before claim the meat to be halal....but we as muslims should consider these factors...just like those vegetarians and vegans.

On the other hand....veganism nowadays almost evolved into a religion...so we should be careful how far we as muslims want to go along with that.

Personally i am not for veganism. You cannot cut out animal products completely out of your life. Fanatic vegans do not use milk, eggs, leather, wool, etc....which is a bit too extreme.

Besides...at least on Eid al-Adha and on hadj you have to slaughter an animal because that is obligated for a muslim if you can afford it...and then what? How would you deal with that situation as a vegan?
Yes, this is very true. People within the industry, halal and non halal, have come out to talk about the subject. Overall, I believe this is just one of the many issues with the farming industry. Capitalism and mass production can cause people to either overlook issues or just not care about those issues at all. Then, there's the issue of consumers not caring simply because they have no self control over their desires.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.