/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim girl living in dorms

Fabu-Glast
07-07-2021, 02:59 AM
Alsalam A'leykum.

I'm a Muslim girl who's planning on staying at the dorms for my Freshman year of college, the only problem is my parents.

Ever since I got accepted into the University, my parents have been going on with reasons why I shouldn't go; whether it be too far away, unsafe, or just the idea of community college. But I was always able to convince them that I would be fine.

Until today, when they brought up how the dorms are not gender segregated. My dorm room is an all-female room, of course, but the floor I'm staying at isn't. Now they're saying that I will not go at all if that's the case since it's haram. I did my research and found that it is not haram since I'm not sharing my dorm room with men, but they won't hear me out.

I don't know what to do at this point. I am so tired of convincing my parents of every little thing that they bring up so I won't go. I'm starting to contemplate whether I should just give up my future since the world isn't going to change to fit their idealistic views.

I understand where they are coming from, but I don't know what to do to convince them.

I also understand that they trust me but not the people around me. But I know that the only way I can show them that I truly value my deen then they should let me go. The idea of community college does not fit me since I already took those prereq classes during high school and the classes I need to take are those required for my major.

I really want to find a proper, religious way to convince my parents that they can trust me.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
keiv
07-07-2021, 10:44 AM
Are there other options available? Finding colleges that offer online classes and / or are closer to you?

IslamLife00
07-07-2021, 11:55 AM
Even if you don't live with non mahram men in the same room, you will see them every time you leave your room.
That will still invite you to zina and zina is not limited to what the reproductive organs do, there is also zina of the eyes.
If you see them and they see you every day, there is no guarantee you can escape zina of the eyes, which will lead to zina of the private parts.
It's not about your parents trusting you, it's about Allah's prohibition.
Allah specifically said about zina - and He didn't say this about any other prohibition - don't even come near it. There is a reason why He said this.

I understand you want to go for the sake of education, but your future is not in your hands, it's in His.
And I don't know what research you have done, but if you believe the result of your research is right, you still want to live in such living arrangement,
then it's your decision, it's between you and Allah. Have you looked for online options?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.