/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How science and religion are related

Ümit
08-10-2021, 08:15 AM
As an electrotechnical engineer I am highly interested in science. It is my hobby and I trust science more than anything else. On the other hand, I am a Muslim Alhamdulillah. I believe in Allah the one and only, I believe in His books, Prophets, Angels. I believe in Ahirah, and I believe that both Hayr and Shahr both come from Allah.

Having said this, how can Science and Islaam coexist. They both claim to be the truth…right? Is that even possible?

To answer that question, we must take a closer look at Islaam and religion.

Now...we know that Allah created everything right? Us humans, animals, plants, sand, rock, air, land sea, Earth, other planets and stars…the whole Universe in fact….but also invisible things like time, gravity, magnetism, electricity and the laws of nature.
And science in its pure form is just observation of Allahs creation and trying to explain what is observed.
So that means, if the Quraan is the literal word of Allah, and science is based on observations of Allahs creation…then science and Islaam MUST coexist. Any other way should not be acceptable…that would be terribly wrong.
Why would Allah say one thing in the Quraan after having created the opposite of that? That wouldn’t make no sense.

if someone asks "why does it rain?"...you can answer that question on two totally different ways:
...because that is the will of Allah...
or
...seawater evaporates, forms clouds, travels through land and rises untill it gets too cold, so it condensates into drops and falls to earth as rain.
both answers are valid and true. answer 1 is the religious way and 2 is the scientific way.
these both answer do not bite each other. that it is the will of Allah does not mean the watercycle is untrue...and the watercycle being true does not mean there is no God behind the scenes to make that whole watercycle even possible.

Science is a tool for humans to explain the universe they live in. it is build on observations, testable and repeatable explanations for a certain phenomenah. it is all about logic, observations and predictability. so naturally there is no place for spirituality and religion within science....that however does not mean it doesn't exist...it is just left out by science...and not rejected...that is a major difference.

We also know that science is never the absolute truth...it is always an acceptable appoximation of the truth. Newtons laws were good enough for us to fly to the moon, even though Einstein had already proven that Newtons laws were not accurate wenn it comes to quantum mechanics.
The problem here is that people do not understand the difference between truth and the absolute truth.

Allahs word, what is written in the Quraan, and the way everything is created and interacts with each other is the absolute truth.
Scientific facts, which are based on observations, repeatable tests under certain conditions, and conclusions are truth but only under certain conditions...it is an approximation of the absolute truth.

So, in order to make science and Islaam coexist,we must change our view about science.
Attachment 7257

Science does not want to hold up lies and deceit, just because it is more convenient to some people...some scientist however do try that...but they usually do not last long...because the truth cannot be hidden...it will come out eventually.
Scientific theories may not explain everything...we still do not know wat exactly gravity is for example...and what exactly causes the force of gravity. We do not know exactly what a photon is, because sometimes it behaves like matter, as if it has mass, and sometimes it behaves like a wave. Photons through a small gap form ripples, just like ripples in water travel through a gap...however, waves need a medium to travel through, but photons can travel through void...
Therefore, theories can have unexplainable gaps in them...that means that the theory is not done yet...there is still more to learn and investigate....maybe one day we can fill some or all of those gaps...maybe we don't...or maybe we will completely throw that theory overboard and adopt a better one.
But when a theory is adopted, that does not mean that we "believe" in that theory as in "the absolute truth". We do not believe in it in the same way we believe in Allah. We just think we have a reasonable explanation that works for now...we think came one step closer to the absolute truth.
The theory of evolution is a great example of that. the connection between humans and other animals have been observed and cannot be denied. for example how our DNA is for a great part exactly the same as animals, fruit flies, bananas and other animals and plants...and how our body structure and functions are pretty much the same as animals...that we all have a brain, heart, veins, nerves, bones and muscles, how we all are dependant on water and food.
It may not exactly mean directly that our great great great grandparents were animals of course...but we can't deny that we have so much in common with animals.

Recently one brother pointed to one verse:
"And Allah has created every animal from water: of them there are some that creep on their bellies; some that walk on two legs; and some that walk on four. Allah creates what He wills for verily Allah has power over all things. (The Noble Quran, 24:45)"
That is exactly what the theory of evolution also says...that all life, both animals and plants came from water as sealife.

AGAIN, that does not make the theory of evolution as the absolute truth....and that there are no contradictions in it...It just means that there is at least some truth in it and we still have a long way to go.

Attachment 7258

With this, I hope I gave you a better understanding about science, and its theories. That it is not something we should be afraid of. Science is not our enemy...it is our ally. Because, the truth is not our enemy, it is our ally.
We do not hide from it, we do not avoid it...we encourage science...it makes us stronger. The more you know about it, the more you see the beauty of Allahs creation.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Karl
08-13-2021, 11:57 PM
Hi, gravity is space pressure. Space mass is very low but since it is like an endless ocean in every direction it has the power to create worlds, stars and galaxies. Time is also affected by gravity. Strong gravity slows time down. Super strong gravity can stop the transition of energy from one thing to another, so time stops. On Earth, time is slower in an under ground mine than it is at sea level and faster in an aeroplane flying high. Atomic clocks can measure these very tiny differences. Religion is very involved because God created the Cosmos from the Chaos.

Eric H
08-14-2021, 03:17 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Umit;

quote=Ümit;3042191]I am highly interested in science.[/quote]

As am I.

Atheists rely on science to give them answers. As there is no scientific proof for God, then he cannot exist by using science, logic and reason.

So how did the universe came into existence purely by natural causes? Something either had no beginning, or something did not come from anything. Both these options seem to require magic that is beyond the realms of science. Atheists will never have the science to show how the universe came into existence purely by natural means.

We search for a deeper meaning that can only be answered by God.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.