/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Should I listen to a person of knowledge even if I am not convinced by them?

person5
09-22-2021, 11:08 AM
There is a particular issue that I am not sure is halal or haram but I'd rather not mention what it is. Unfortunately it seems there isn't too much talk on the issue as it is quite specific but I did find a sheikh that gave a fatwa that it is halal. I looked at the sheikhs argument but was not fully convinced. I spoke with the sheikh himself who when I raised my concerns that I had about his argument to him, he told me that I needed to have a better understanding of fiqh to be able to know why the matter is halal even having heard his argument.

Essentially I am trying to ask, how much should I depend on my own convincing of arguments and how much should I ignore myself and accept what a scholar has said even if I am only partially convinced?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ümit
09-22-2021, 11:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by person5
There is a particular issue that I am not sure is halal or haram but I'd rather not mention what it is. Unfortunately it seems there isn't too much talk on the issue as it is quite specific but I did find a sheikh that gave a fatwa that it is halal. I looked at the sheikhs argument but was not fully convinced. I spoke with the sheikh himself who when I raised my concerns that I had about his argument to him, he told me that I needed to have a better understanding of fiqh to be able to know why the matter is halal even having heard his argument.

Essentially I am trying to ask, how much should I depend on my own convincing of arguments and how much should I ignore myself and accept what a scholar has said even if I am only partially convinced?
That is a complicated matter. a fatwa is a personal view of a certain sheikh how he sees the situation...much like the verdict of a jugde...depending his knowledge, experience, and specialization, the fatwa or verdict can differ. you are free to ask a second opinion from a different sheikh, but his fatwa does not come out of thin air...so to a certain point you should be able to rely on his fatwa...but if you are not sure about it, and you are able to take the safe road (which is to leave it because it is possibly haraam), you should take the safe road until you are convinced it is OK.

Perhaps you can describe the matter here, and hear out our opinions, to have more understanding about the whole matter.

person5
09-22-2021, 01:45 PM
Jzk for your helpful answer. The issue I am speaking about is the UK student loan if you know anything about it. Previously I didn't want to mention the issue to prevent any response focusing on the loan rather than the question at hand. I have heard the opinion of a well learned sheikh on the matter (Sheikh Haitham Al Haddad). Although I wasn't able to understand the reasoning as to why it is halal, I'm now trying to see if I should just take trust in the scholars opinion regardless of any doubt I have.

Ümit
09-22-2021, 03:52 PM
That really is a very very complicated matter unfortunately my brother...
A similar subject is mortgage.
A lot of people only have two options:
Either rent an apartment or house for their entire life, or
buy a house or apartment by getting a mortgage, and pay that dept off for a very very long time...of course with interest, because that is how mortgage works.
the opinions about it is divided.
some say it is haraam because it is some sort of loan with interest,
others say it is not haraam because it is a special situation...because the loan for a basic need such a house or a car is permitted...of course it should just be a basic need and not too luxorous...a second house with a mortgage is not permitted.

Of course others argue that if you have the option to rent a house, this means the option to get a house with a mortgage is no longer a basic need anymore....but that also means that if you do not have a start-up capital, you will never own a property in Europe...nor your children...

So what is the truth?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
person5
09-22-2021, 10:11 PM
Yeppp I've heard about the mortgage problems... Fortunately that isn't for me to worry about yet lol. jzk for your answer, much appreciated

Abz2000
09-26-2021, 05:52 AM
You are walking along an elevated path, you approach a crossroad, ask someone who appears to know the locality, and he points you in a direction.
Do you believe you will arrive at your destination simply by accepting his word?
Or are you going to have to do some more research? Knowing that your arrival at destination depends upon the path WHICH YOU choose to take.

Also bear in mind that usury is simply a one way method of sucking out resources and labour from an economy, each usurious loan a person takes only adds to the problem. Are you starving do much that pig has become acceptable? Bear mind that even pigs is personal whereas usury is global. Do a logical calculation if you would like to know that usury simply leads to global slavery, forced poverty, and an autocratic apparatus that illegally dictates it's decisions to governments including on issues such as how many children people should have, and whether people should be forced to take an implanted microchip in their body in order to access basic needs.....whilst acquiescing control of their resources and labour to a criminal cartel which does not understand humanity.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.