/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is promising something to Allah ok?

Flos
09-23-2021, 10:22 AM
Assalamu alaikum,

I'm going through some hardships. You know when you go through those times you do so many things to solve your problems: many duas, good deeds, etc. But, few friends of mine told me that when they have a problem or an important wish, need, etc, they promise Allah they'll do something, like pray extra salaat for 40 days if the wish comes true or hardship ends, etc. Very often their wishes come true through this promise. But is it ok and recommended? Ever heard of that? Do you have better idea?

(btw, I need your dua, please ask Allah to help me solve all problems).

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ümit
09-23-2021, 12:00 PM
Yes it is. We do that all the time. if we make tovbe to Allah, we promise Him never to do that again...and still break our promisses, but that is a different subject.
What your friend told you about:
they promise Allah they'll do something, like pray extra salaat for 40 days if the wish comes true or hardship ends, etc.
This is called an Adak...which is also nothing wrong withit.
The only thing to keep in mind that (as far as I can remember correctly) if that certain criterium becomes true, or that certain hardship ends, your promised Adak becomes obligatory and is no longer voluntary.

Flos
09-23-2021, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ümit
Yes it is. We do that all the time. if we make tovbe to Allah, we promise Him never to do that again...and still break our promisses, but that is a different subject.
What your friend told you about:

This is called an Adak...which is also nothing wrong withit.
The only thing to keep in mind that (as far as I can remember correctly) if that certain criterium becomes true, or that certain hardship ends, your promised Adak becomes obligatory and is no longer voluntary.
Interesting! Thanks and Jazakallahu Khair

AabiruSabeel
09-23-2021, 07:17 PM
:salam:

This type of promise is mentioned in the Quran as Nazr,

يُوفُونَ بِالنَّذْرِ وَيَخَافُونَ يَوْمًا كَانَ شَرُّهُ مُسْتَطِيرًا

They [are those who] fulfill [their] vows and fear a Day whose evil will be widespread.
[Al-Insaan: 7]

As Umit said, once you promise something like that, it becomes obligatory to fulfil the promise.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AabiruSabeel
09-25-2021, 04:53 AM
Forgot to add, these types of promises are not recommended although permitted. That's because sometimes people promise to do something and then they forget or unable to fulfil the promise due to any circumstance, and they will be sinful for that.

So instead of making such a promise, we should pray and do more acts of worship as thanks to Allah when our needs are fulfilled.

Flos
09-25-2021, 05:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
Forgot to add, these types of promises are not recommended although permitted. That's because sometimes people promise to do something and then they forget or unable to fulfil the promise due to any circumstance, and they will be sinful for that.

So instead of making such a promise, we should pray and do more acts of worship as thanks to Allah when our needs are fulfilled.
Yeah, I know that. I wrote down in my diary what I promised.

Flos
11-18-2021, 04:26 PM
Salam,

My dua is accepted and I got what I wanted and now I have to fulfill my promises. They are not difficult, I want to do them so much but there is one problem to solve.

My promises are scheduled in sense of what I'm supposed to do on first possible night, what on second etc. Part of it is salaat. Now I have a flu, and my hayz (female) period will start soon. I want to do salaat, but it's long and I almost faint when doing it regularly due to temperature. Is it possible to reschedule those deeds as in to accomplish the rest which I can do from a chair, and then later on when I'm feeling better to do salaat? The problem is that I don't want to postpone any of deeds at all, and I'm afraid I'm going to forget them after female period.

AabiruSabeel
11-19-2021, 03:46 AM
Yes, you can reschedule but you would still have to fulfil all what you've promised sooner or later. Please see these links for more details:

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/qibla-han...ows-and-oaths/

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/qibla-han...qh-of-oaths-2/

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/seekersgu...-desired-task/

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/muftionli...-due-to-haidh/

Flos
11-19-2021, 08:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AabiruSabeel
Yes, you can reschedule but you would still have to fulfil all what you've promised sooner or later. Please see these links for more details:

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/qibla-han...ows-and-oaths/

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/qibla-han...qh-of-oaths-2/

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/seekersgu...-desired-task/

https://islamqa.org/hanafi/muftionli...-due-to-haidh/

Thanks, but the only question is - can I reschedule the deeds, meaning change their order, not to cancel them.

Murid
11-19-2021, 09:16 AM
:salam:
Please read this fatwa too.
https://islamqa.info/en/answers/2587...oncerning-them

'Abd-al Latif
11-19-2021, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Flos
Assalamu alaikum,

I'm going through some hardships. You know when you go through those times you do so many things to solve your problems: many duas, good deeds, etc. But, few friends of mine told me that when they have a problem or an important wish, need, etc, they promise Allah they'll do something, like pray extra salaat for 40 days if the wish comes true or hardship ends, etc. Very often their wishes come true through this promise. But is it ok and recommended? Ever heard of that? Do you have better idea?

(btw, I need your dua, please ask Allah to help me solve all problems).
:wasalamex:

The first part of the video answers your question but I would suggest watching the whole video.

Flos
11-20-2021, 09:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
:wasalamex:

The first part of the video answers your question but I would suggest watching the whole video.

The main question is answered, I got it few months ago. My current question is can I change the order.
No one answered that

'Abd-al Latif
11-21-2021, 08:05 PM
The main question is answered, I got it few months ago. My current question is can I change the order.
No one answered that
What do you mean?

Flos
11-22-2021, 06:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
What do you mean?

It doesn't matter anymore, it's accomplished now.

I asked few days ago, since I have a flu and can't stand and part of my promise is related to salatul layl, second part of the promise is the night after... I wanted to do all of these things immediately, but couldn't make salaat standing due to fever. So my question was: can I change the order of my promise because I didn't want to pray salaat nafl while sitting....

I did it anyway and now it doesn't matter

iammuslim98
11-28-2021, 10:01 AM
Aoa..why is your love for Allah conditional? I saw a video in which the woman asked she promised ALLAH she will offer 100 nafal if xyz happened. I think we should keeep praying and asking Allah .those nafal should be offered continuously until Allah answers the dua..

Flos
11-28-2021, 10:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by iammuslim98
Aoa..why is your love for Allah conditional? I saw a video in which the woman asked she promised ALLAH she will offer 100 nafal if xyz happened. I think we should keeep praying and asking Allah .those nafal should be offered continuously until Allah answers the dua..
Exactly! That's the exact reason I opened the thread, for the conditions. It feels like: Allah, if you give me this, I'll give you that...

Thanks sister and Jazakallahu Khair

Ümit
11-28-2021, 08:17 PM
Exactly! That's the exact reason I opened the thread, for the conditions. It feels like: Allah, if you give me this, I'll give you that...

Thanks sister and Jazakallahu Khair
No. our love for Allah is not conditional. if we have a wish that we would really really come true, we already do everything in our power to make it happen.

Lets say my wish is to graduate.

I would do everything I can to make that happen, Study day and night, take extra lessons if I need, read extra books, but also make lots and lots of dua, do Nafila salat, do zikr as much as I can....and on top of that, when I have done everything I can in my power, I make a promise to Allah that if I may graduate, I will sacrifice a sheep and give its meat to the poors in my neighbourhood.

It is not a condition like "lets trick allah to make a deal with me"...let me try this dua, perhaps Allah will grant it.
No you always make your duas you always beg to Allah to forgive you or to grant your wishes.

And if Allah happens to make your wish come true, then you will be more than happy to sacrifice that sheep or whatever you promised Allah. It will not even be a burden for you, because you got your wish come true in return.

it will be the Islamitic way of "Hey everybody, I finally became a proud father, free drinks for everyone".

Flos
12-01-2021, 12:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ümit
No. our love for Allah is not conditional. if we have a wish that we would really really come true, we already do everything in our power to make it happen.

Lets say my wish is to graduate.

I would do everything I can to make that happen, Study day and night, take extra lessons if I need, read extra books, but also make lots and lots of dua, do Nafila salat, do zikr as much as I can....and on top of that, when I have done everything I can in my power, I make a promise to Allah that if I may graduate, I will sacrifice a sheep and give its meat to the poors in my neighbourhood.

It is not a condition like "lets trick allah to make a deal with me"...let me try this dua, perhaps Allah will grant it.
No you always make your duas you always beg to Allah to forgive you or to grant your wishes.

And if Allah happens to make your wish come true, then you will be more than happy to sacrifice that sheep or whatever you promised Allah. It will not even be a burden for you, because you got your wish come true in return.

it will be the Islamitic way of "Hey everybody, I finally became a proud father, free drinks for everyone".
I had 2 wishes. Both came true and I fulfilled my duties. Indeed it's powerful and made me happy. But I was concerned about this type of wish making and promising cause it really did feel as if I was blackmailing Allah.

Ümit
12-01-2021, 12:52 PM
I had 2 wishes. Both came true and I fulfilled my duties. Indeed it's powerful and made me happy. But I was concerned about this type of wish making and promising cause it really did feel as if I was blackmailing Allah.
You couldn't blackmail Allah even if you wanted to.

Again, it is about intention. If you do it with the intention of "let's try this method and see how Allah responds", that is wrong.

But if you did everything you could in your power, salat, nafl salat, lots of dua, zikr, and on top of that your promise to do something if your wish comes true....just because you really really want something to happen...Then it is a noble thing to do. nothing wrong with that.

iammuslim98
12-02-2021, 01:11 AM
Aoaa. Yes you can change the order.but fulfill the promise asap.. considering you are not well, it is okay to delay it until u get well.

Flos
12-03-2021, 01:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by iammuslim98
Aoaa. Yes you can change the order.but fulfill the promise asap.. considering you are not well, it is okay to delay it until u get well.
I fulfilled them all :) yay

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.