/* */

PDA

View Full Version : *** The prohibition of decorating the Masaajid ***

Zaheer A Khan
01-04-2022, 06:01 PM
Bismillaah:

Anas ibn Malik رضي الله عنه said:

The Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليه وسلم said:

''The Hour will not come until people boast [ to each other] with the construction and decoration of masaajid.''

Takhreej:

{ Al Khamsa and graded as Saheeh by Ibn Khuzaimah }

Abdullah Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه said:

The Messenger of Allaah صلى الله عليوسلم said:

'' I was not commanded to build beautified Masaajid.''

Ibn Abbas رضي الله عنه added:

'' You would certainly adorn them as the Jews and the Christians did.''

Takhreej:

{ Imam Abu Dawud in his Sunnan and graded as Saheeh by Ibn Hibban }

Al Imam Muhammad bin Isma'eel As San'aani رحمه الله commented:

'' It means that they will proudly compete each other and will boast about the embellishment and beautification of their masjids .It may also mean that they will boast about their superiority and eminence in masjids whereas these are the places of showing humility and humbleness before Allaah. It also indicates that being Jewish custom, making designs and ornament in Masjids is prohibited.''

{ Sharh Bulugh Al Maram pg 93 }

*** And Allaah عزوجل knows best ***

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ümit
01-05-2022, 06:50 AM
This is somewhat confusing...

If this is true, then why are practically every mosque I've visited is decorated?

Let us say it is a cultural thing...that Turks just decorate their mosque....but I've also visited Arabic, and Moroccan mosques...also decorated.
How about the mosques in Mecca and Medina?

Does that mean everyone made the same mistake and didn't regard this particular hadeeth?

Zaheer A Khan
01-06-2022, 02:31 AM
What is there to be confused about my brother?
Our Messenger صلي الله عليه وسلم foretold his Ummah will definitely imitate the other nations even if they entered into a lizard's hole. Isn't this another Prophecy being fulfilled...

Ümit
01-06-2022, 07:39 AM
I do not know brother.

I just think it is weird that literally everyone is doing it. For once, I never saw a masjid or mosque undecorated (except the ones meant for travellers like in airports and resting places on the highway etc. which are basically a small room 3x3m or so with carpet...thats all.)

don't you think its strange that even the 3 holiest masjids, masjid al Haram, masjid al Nabavi and masjid al Aqsa are decorated despite these saheeh hadeeths exist?
are we all en masse running into the lizards hole?

and OK...let us say we did make a mistake and the mosque is decorated despite these hadeeths exist and clearly say not to...
so what next...we shouldn't visit those mosques? or what are you suggesting?

I am sorry brother, out of respect, I am not trying to attack you or anything.
Its just that...this is a dilemma for me right now...I am going to check your hadeeths whether they are saheeh or not...and if so...what should I do?
The mosque here is of course decorated...and people surely won't undecorate it.
So either I accept that it is wrong and still go there...or,
I do not accept and stop visiting my mosque (which seems like a greater loss in my opinion)

What would be your suggestion?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zaheer A Khan
01-14-2022, 10:36 PM
Well my brother, sorry for the disappointment, but the hadeeth is Saheeh and it was authenticated by a host of hadeeth scholars. But this is the sad reality... our Ummah will follow the the other nations as our Prophet صلي الله عليه وسلم foretold. A perfect example is the hadeeth of Jibreel. The Prophet صلي الله عليه وسلم was asked about the signs of the Hour, one of the signs he mentioned was "when you see the barefoot, naked, destitute shepherds competing in constructing tall buildings." When asked to elaborate further, the Prophet صلي الله عليه وسلم said that they are from the Arabs.

{ Al Bukhari and others }

And from Ya'la ibn Ata from his father who said:

"I was holding onto the reins of the mount of Abdullaah ibn Amr رضي اللّه عنه and he said:

How will you be when you destroy the House and do not leave one stone on top of another? They asked, Will we still be Muslims he said, You will still be Muslims.' They asked, 'Then what? He said, Then it will be rebuilt in the most beautiful way. When you see tunnels built in Makkah and you see its buildings taller than its mountains, know that the matter [ the Hour ] is close at hand.''

{ Imam Al Azraqi in his Tareeqh with two Hasan isnads }

These reports are Saheeh and Mashoor with most of the Muslims..! Unfortunately, despite having the knowledge of these ahadeeth and the added layer of precision, this prophecy is manifested almost everywhere in the Muslim world, the buildings are taller than the mountains, the Masaajid are beautified, and the list goes on... some Masjids are even seen as tourist destinations and areas to observe and take pictures of. That is partially because of the extravagance in design and architecture. What is shocking is how precise these prophecies are. How could people become educated yet so needless? Yet this has been the reality and continues to be so.
What more astonishing is soon after the Burj Khalifa was built. A Saudi family has announced that they would be building a skyscraper taller than the Burj Khalifa, and it is now in progress. Allaahu Musta'an...!

Abz2000
01-15-2022, 05:52 AM
:sl:

RE: ZAKHRAFAT AL MASAAJID
key word in question: ZUKHRUF

If the word zukhruf does not refer to gold directly in this instance, the ahadith mentioned above appear to be more "khabr" (news) than "shar' " (law) - although they do contain warnings.

Just as it is not illegal for a person who is an ex- barefooted shepherd --to lawfully build a tower ....

... it is not unlawful to decorate a mosque for lawful comfort - whether comfort of body or mind. Simple touches such as mud, paint, wallpaper, carpet, or structural design can be classed as adornment.

It is the unwarranted pride and arrogant narcissistic devilish mindset of certain executives which the statement appears to allude to.
We see some of these vainglorious people competing to become president, taking part in bidding competitions over abstract art, and their childish minds are so funny to observe.
These people are often more involved in corruption, unwarranted jealousy, evil eye, and personal partisanship -than in unity, and they wreck the bodies they govern -for the sake of personal validition.

It's better than your's, it's better than your's....

Az-Zukhruf 43:51

وَنَادَىٰ فِرْعَوْنُ فِى قَوْمِهِۦ قَالَ يَٰقَوْمِ أَلَيْسَ لِى مُلْكُ مِصْرَ وَهَٰذِهِ ٱلْأَنْهَٰرُ تَجْرِى مِن تَحْتِىٓۖ أَفَلَا تُبْصِرُونَ

English - Yusuf Ali

And Pharaoh proclaimed among his people, saying: "O my people! Does not the dominion of Egypt belong to me, (witness) these streams flowing underneath my (palace)? What! see ye not then?

Az-Zukhruf 43:52

أَمْ أَنَا۠ خَيْرٌ مِّنْ هَٰذَا ٱلَّذِى هُوَ مَهِينٌ وَلَا يَكَادُ يُبِينُ

"Am I not better than this (Moses), who is a contemptible wretch and can scarcely express himself clearly?

Az-Zukhruf 43:53

فَلَوْلَآ أُلْقِىَ عَلَيْهِ أَسْوِرَةٌ مِّن ذَهَبٍ أَوْ جَآءَ مَعَهُ ٱلْمَلَٰٓئِكَةُ مُقْتَرِنِينَ

"Then why are not gold bracelets bestowed on him, or (why) come (not) with him angels accompanying him in procession?"

Az-Zukhruf 43:54

فَٱسْتَخَفَّ قَوْمَهُۥ فَأَطَاعُوهُۚ إِنَّهُمْ كَانُوا۟ قَوْمًا فَٰسِقِينَ

Thus did he make fools of his people, and they obeyed him: truly were they a people rebellious (against Allah).

Az-Zukhruf 43:55

فَلَمَّآ ءَاسَفُونَا ٱنتَقَمْنَا مِنْهُمْ فَأَغْرَقْنَٰهُمْ أَجْمَعِينَ

When at length they provoked Us, We exacted retribution from them, and We drowned them all.

Az-Zukhruf 43:56

فَجَعَلْنَٰهُمْ سَلَفًا وَمَثَلًا لِّلْءَاخِرِينَ

And We made them (a people) of the Past and an Example to later ages.

Az-Zukhruf 43:57

وَلَمَّا ضُرِبَ ٱبْنُ مَرْيَمَ مَثَلًا إِذَا قَوْمُكَ مِنْهُ يَصِدُّونَ

When (Jesus) the son of Mary is held up as an example, behold, thy people raise a clamour thereat (in ridicule)!

Az-Zukhruf 43:58

وَقَالُوٓا۟ ءَأَٰلِهَتُنَا خَيْرٌ أَمْ هُوَۚ مَا ضَرَبُوهُ لَكَ إِلَّا جَدَلًۢاۚ بَلْ هُمْ قَوْمٌ خَصِمُونَ

And they say, "Are our gods best, or he?" This they set forth to thee, only by way of disputation: yea, they are a contentious people.

I hope somebody with more knowledge can respond.

Connectmuslims
02-11-2022, 05:28 AM
Most people do not know about this. It’s in the scripture that clearly mentions the prohibition of decorating the masjid. But you might find several masjids including the holiest among all Makkah and Madinah decorated with lights during the month of Ramadan. This particular prohibition has a hidden meaning inside. According to this, the decoration of a masjid must not disturb the people who are making prayers inside. A holy place is meant to make a Dua and worship the almighty with complete concentration. Thus, any kind of light, flowers or any form of decoration should not deviate your concentration to think only about Him.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.