/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Visiting sick person in 21st century

Flos
01-25-2022, 07:00 PM
Assalamu alaikum,

If a person is sick and you ask that person, sincerely is there anything to do, cook and bring food, come over and help with whatever and then person tells you "thank you so much for your care, I really need nothing" - ... is this considered as visiting the sick in 21st century? Since, before 20th century we couldn't call the sick on phone, real visiting was the only option.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ümit
01-25-2022, 10:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Flos
Assalamu alaikum,

If a person is sick and you ask that person, sincerely is there anything to do, cook and bring food, come over and help with whatever and then person tells you "thank you so much for your care, I really need nothing" - ... is this considered as visiting the sick in 21st century? Since, before 20th century we couldn't call the sick on phone, real visiting was the only option.
I would say no. Visiting is visiting and phoning is phoning.
It should not be used as a sunstitute for visiting. It should be used as an addition to visiting. If you have the option to visit, then that is the better option instead of just phoning.

But if that person lives 3000km away from you..then of course you cant just drive over there to visit.

Flos
01-26-2022, 11:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ümit
I would say no. Visiting is visiting and phoning is phoning.
It should not be used as a sunstitute for visiting. It should be used as an addition to visiting. If you have the option to visit, then that is the better option instead of just phoning.

But if that person lives 3000km away from you..then of course you cant just drive over there to visit.

And what if person doesn't want to be visited at home? I don't want to be visited at home when sick given that I need peace when feeling bad and today I can order delivery from anywhere if I need anything.

Ümit
01-26-2022, 12:19 PM
And what if person doesn't want to be visited at home? I don't want to be visited at home when sick given that I need peace when feeling bad and today I can order delivery from anywhere if I need anything.
You cant force someone to visit or to have visitors.
It is of course voluntarily.
If you do not want visitors...then that is your right.
The tricky part of that however, it how do you tell someone politely and without offending that you do not want them to visit you?

Besides...the question "do you need anything?" Is not limited to food or something else you can order.

You cannot order yourself a glas of water...of course you can, but it would be pointless.
You cannot order yourself company or help in some sort of way...since you are sick.

It is about bonding...it is about showing each other that you are there for them.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Flos
01-26-2022, 12:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ümit
You cant force someone to visit or to have visitors.
It is of course voluntarily.
If you do not want visitors...then that is your right.
The tricky part of that however, it how do you tell someone politely and without offending that you do not want them to visit you?

Besides...the question "do you need anything?" Is not limited to food or something else you can order.

You cannot order yourself a glas of water...of course you can, but it would be pointless.
You cannot order yourself company or help in some sort of way...since you are sick.

It is about bonding...it is about showing each other that you are there for them.

Yes, and the company can be done via video call :) You see why I'm asking.

Example is, a friend of mine, she's a believer left the hospital (I just found out that) and I wanted to visit her, but she said: No, no, really I need nothing. My mom cooks, I have everything, I just need to rest... Now, my intention was real, especially because I know she lives alone. And the deed of visiting the sick is not going to be written to me...

And in 19 century, we couldn't call at all. The only option to know how is anyone doing was by visiting. You just come at the door.

Now for COVID, it's also difficult. But, is bringing food at the door of COVID person going to be written as visiting?

Supernova
01-26-2022, 01:29 PM
Assalamu alaikum,

It would be considered as visiting as long as we don't replace "real" visiting by intent.

Meaning, Nothing can replace the actual feeling (on both sides) when you really visit a sickly person face to face. If we can visit someone and both people are ok with it, then by all means we should actually visit them face to face, however, if by some circumstance we cannot really visit someone and then would have to rely on means of technology, then InshAllah we would get the same reward as actually visiting them.

What needs to be avoided, is replacing a real visit that is well within our means, by technology.

Verily Allah SWT is most merciful.

Flos
01-26-2022, 01:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supernova
It would be considered as visiting as long as we don't replace "real" visiting by intent.

Meaning, Nothing can replace the actual feeling (on both sides) when you really visit a sickly person face to face. If we can visit someone and both people are ok with it, then by all means we should actually visit them face to face, however, if by some circumstance we cannot really visit someone and then would have to rely on means of technology, then InshAllah we would get the same reward as actually visiting them.

What needs to be avoided, is replacing a real visit that is well within our means, by technology.

Verily Allah SWT is most merciful.
That actually makes sense. If my intention would be to stay at home and do nothing, then it's not visiting, definitely.

Supernova
01-26-2022, 01:58 PM
That actually makes sense. If my intention would be to stay at home and do nothing, then it's not visiting, definitely.
Just to feed the good post topic, I normally also take fruit with me on the visit. (Pardon the pun in context.)

Flos
01-26-2022, 01:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supernova
Just to feed the good post topic, I normally also take fruit with me on the visit. (Pardon the pun in context.)
Yeah, me too. Bananas, oranges mostly :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.