/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to overcome an obssession?

iammuslim98
02-07-2022, 05:22 AM
Aoa. Has anyone ever been obsessed with something that it impedes your life and growth. How does one get over that obssession. I am obsessed with a dua and i cant pray for anything else but that..it is virtually impossible but not haram. But its been three years and i think the answer is no, but i am unable to pray for anything else in my salah. It is taking me away from religion as i dont find interest in tahajjud anymore. Nor enjoy my salah .but habitually i pray and say that dua .

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Flos
02-09-2022, 12:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by iammuslim98
Aoa. Has anyone ever been obsessed with something that it impedes your life and growth. How does one get over that obssession. I am obsessed with a dua and i cant pray for anything else but that..it is virtually impossible but not haram. But its been three years and i think the answer is no, but i am unable to pray for anything else in my salah. It is taking me away from religion as i dont find interest in tahajjud anymore. Nor enjoy my salah .but habitually i pray and say that dua .
Nothing is impossible to Allah. And don't lose hope

iammuslim98
02-09-2022, 09:28 AM
Aoa floss. I know nothing is impossible but there are certain markers to a dua as well..and the problem is i dont make dua for anything else anymore..

Flos
02-09-2022, 10:17 AM
You know that Zakariyyah a.s. thought it's impossible for him to get a child as he was very old, but then entered at Maryam a.s. and found her eating fruits from other season and asked her: where did she get that... well, you know all of that and how he actually got the child - Yahya a.s.

As for obsession in general, how about accepting my 100 hamd challenge, just to refocus your mind? Make list of 100 blessings from Allah every single day and for each say alhamdulillah.

Also, as you said you're not doing any other dua, maybe just make dua for Ummah and earn billion of good deeds :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
iammuslim98
02-10-2022, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Flos
You know that Zakariyyah a.s. thought it's impossible for him to get a child as he was very old, but then entered at Maryam a.s. and found her eating fruits from other season and asked her: where did she get that... well, you know all of that and how he actually got the child - Yahya a.s.

As for obsession in general, how about accepting my 100 hamd challenge, just to refocus your mind? Make list of 100 blessings from Allah every single day and for each say alhamdulillah.

Also, as you said you're not doing any other dua, maybe just make dua for Ummah and earn billion of good deeds :)

Aoa. Yes, i know but he wws a prophet, pure from every sin..we cant compare ourselves with the exceptional ones.
And about ur challenge, my therapist gave me a similar assignment. But this obsession has consumed me. My existence..i cant do anything else but focus on it and praying to God constantly. i do pray for the muslims and the kashmiris every now and again. But i wish i could just show u what my brain is suffering from right nw

Flos
02-10-2022, 05:45 PM
Allah wouldn't tell us that story about Zakariyah just to read about it. Musa's a.s. mother wasn't prophet

iammuslim98
02-12-2022, 05:20 AM
Allah wouldn't tell us that story about Zakariyah just to read about it. Musa's a.s. mother wasn't prophet
Aoa..i guess you are right .but i wish i could stop obsessing

keiv
02-12-2022, 01:05 PM
I've prayed for a lot of things when I was younger, some to the point of obsessing over them. Anything from marriage, to money, to jobs, and so on. Some things I got, other things I did not. As I got older and began to work on my iman, I read more about Islam, the Quran, the hadith, the stories about the prophets, I learned to accept that whatever I have or don't have, the good times and all the hardships, was all due to the will of Allah and it made me more at peace with myself. The issues I had of obsessing over things is now completely gone.

That's not to say that I don't get stressed out about things in life. We are human after all, but how those situations are dealt with are completely different now than how they once were. I think the intention here is important as well. Not saying you do this or not, but I came closer to the religion not for the sake of hoping to exchange my deeds for getting my prayers answered like some kind of barter system with Allah (ie. if I pray for a year, then I deserve to have this prayer answered), but rather for the sake of changing my life for the better and working towards the hereafter regardless of whatever situation I'm faced in. Honestly, that change has to be from within. As long as I was stuck in my ways and held the same mentality, it didn't matter what advice people gave me if I wasn't willing to make the sacrifices and changes within my own life. Just something to think about.

iammuslim98
02-12-2022, 04:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by keiv
I've prayed for a lot of things when I was younger, some to the point of obsessing over them. Anything from marriage, to money, to jobs, and so on. Some things I got, other things I did not. As I got older and began to work on my iman, I read more about Islam, the Quran, the hadith, the stories about the prophets, I learned to accept that whatever I have or don't have, the good times and all the hardships, was all due to the will of Allah and it made me more at peace with myself. The issues I had of obsessing over things is now completely gone.

That's not to say that I don't get stressed out about things in life. We are human after all, but how those situations are dealt with are completely different now than how they once were. I think the intention here is important as well. Not saying you do this or not, but I came closer to the religion not for the sake of hoping to exchange my deeds for getting my prayers answered like some kind of barter system with Allah (ie. if I pray for a year, then I deserve to have this prayer answered), but rather for the sake of changing my life for the better and working towards the hereafter regardless of whatever situation I'm faced in. Honestly, that change has to be from within. As long as I was stuck in my ways and held the same mentality, it didn't matter what advice people gave me if I wasn't willing to make the sacrifices and changes within my own life. Just something to think about.

Aoa.. you make a really good point.. i do read about islam offer my salah and try o remember Allah whenever i can..

However i have one question. U talk about barter systm but doesn't Allah sy ask me I will gice it to u.

Supernova
02-12-2022, 04:21 PM
Asalaamualaykum

When we make dua for something "good" that we perceive in our limited intelligence, Allah SWT withholds that from us in his mercy and his unlimited intelligence.

Perhaps your dua is being accepted by Allah SWT not granting that request of yours.

Flos
02-12-2022, 04:53 PM
Aoa.. you make a really good point.. i do read about islam offer my salah and try o remember Allah whenever i can..

However i have one question. U talk about barter systm but doesn't Allah sy ask me I will gice it to u.

Actually He does. We just don't understand it.

Just as @keiv said - When I was much younger, like 15 years ago, I was making dua to Allah to make me super rich. I didn't. And now if anyone in this world would offer me wealth, anything that exceeds my real needs, I would refuse. Yeah, wealth would make me amongst the givers, zekah a lot, sadaqah etc, but the stress rich people are going through is not worth of that. I still make sadaqah, zekat whenever possible, etc.

Think of the dua you're obsessing with in a way - what if that thing would make me miserable in this world and in the Akhirah. You never know... Once I told you that letting go helps. Make dua and forget about it. When I started doing this "letting go", meaning full tavakkul, Allah gave me even those things I never asked for, as He knew what was in my heart. Especially my dreams from childhood came true. And for all those duas that I didn't get what I wanted I was grateful, for I figured how much misery those things would bring me.

iammuslim98
02-14-2022, 08:42 AM
Actually He does. We just don't understand it.

Just as @keiv said - When I was much younger, like 15 years ago, I was making dua to Allah to make me super rich. I didn't. And now if anyone in this world would offer me wealth, anything that exceeds my real needs, I would refuse. Yeah, wealth would make me amongst the givers, zekah a lot, sadaqah etc, but the stress rich people are going through is not worth of that. I still make sadaqah, zekat whenever possible, etc.

Think of the dua you're obsessing with in a way - what if that thing would make me miserable in this world and in the Akhirah. You never know... Once I told you that letting go helps. Make dua and forget about it. When I started doing this "letting go", meaning full tavakkul, Allah gave me even those things I never asked for, as He knew what was in my heart. Especially my dreams from childhood came true. And for all those duas that I didn't get what I wanted I was grateful, for I figured how much misery those things would bring me.

Aoa thats the thing, im having a hard time letting the dua go.. that is the main problem. I either make dua for that or for nothing at all

Flos
02-14-2022, 10:21 AM
Aoa thats the thing, im having a hard time letting the dua go.. that is the main problem. I either make dua for that or for nothing at all

Make dua for Ummah. Think of idea that whenever you make dua for someone else you get it too and if you make the dua for entire dua, you also get cca 1 billion of good deeds :)

iammuslim98
02-18-2022, 11:57 AM
Make dua for Ummah. Think of idea that whenever you make dua for someone else you get it too and if you make the dua for entire dua, you also get cca 1 billion of good deeds :)
Aoa that is good.i am going to try doing it..but i guess you dont get my point. When i say i am obsessed i mean my lips and heart cant move for anything else..if i am making dua that's the only thing i am able to make dua for..i dont know how else to explain it i know i made mistakes which altered things for the worst

Flos
02-18-2022, 12:12 PM
Aoa that is good.i am going to try doing it..but i guess you dont get my point. When i say i am obsessed i mean my lips and heart cant move for anything else..if i am making dua that's the only thing i am able to make dua for..i dont know how else to explain it i know i made mistakes which altered things for the worst

You mean you're not in control of your lips?

iammuslim98
02-18-2022, 12:41 PM
You mean you're not in control of your lips?

Aoa. Yes..my lips and my heart only let me dua for that thing.. even though it is not.going to happen because it has never happened with anyone. But i keep making dua

- - - Updated - - -

And if my heart of my lips try to mke dua for anything else i just am not able to bring myself to it

Flos
02-18-2022, 03:32 PM
Aoa. Yes..my lips and my heart only let me dua for that thing.. even though it is not.going to happen because it has never happened with anyone. But i keep making dua

- - - Updated - - -

And if my heart of my lips try to mke dua for anything else i just am not able to bring myself to it

Oh sister, got ya! I had similar situation with hamd, for maybe few weeks, but alhamdulillah I solved that problem. It's about focus. Takes time. Little by little, step by step. Can you read duas? Can you write any dua somewhere? If you can, do it. Any dua. Shortest possible. Allahhumagfirli is short dua as well. If you want, we can go in PP

Ascended_Being
02-18-2022, 06:13 PM
Assalamu Alaikum,

Just a brother here wanting to give you advice, do not ever give up hope in Allah nor doubt His ability to grant you what you wish for.
I had a personal experience:
In 2018 I saw a dream where I was granted something, but upon waking up from that dream I immediately rejected it. As time went on I sought knowledge in the religion, and 3 years later I came to a point where my heart would naturally desire one thing. Coincidentally, this wish that I have matches with the dream I had seen in 2018. Since acknowledging the possibility of Allah granting this wish of mine, I have never tired of asking Him, constantly asking for this one wish of mine. I now have hope, which I previously did not have, and should I be granted my wish, I will have a greater purpose to live for. Hope is something that keeps you from falling into depression and gives you the energy to get back up and recover from falls. Hope is something that gives you the patience and strength to wait even a lifetime to have your supplication answered.
Do not underestimate the ability of Allah in granting/bestowing upon you His bounties. For as long as your dua is legitimate and conforms with the Islamic teachings, there is no reason why your supplication is impossible to be answered.

iammuslim98
02-19-2022, 05:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SuRvIvOr123
Assalamu Alaikum,

Just a brother here wanting to give you advice, do not ever give up hope in Allah nor doubt His ability to grant you what you wish for.
I had a personal experience:
In 2018 I saw a dream where I was granted something, but upon waking up from that dream I immediately rejected it. As time went on I sought knowledge in the religion, and 3 years later I came to a point where my heart would naturally desire one thing. Coincidentally, this wish that I have matches with the dream I had seen in 2018. Since acknowledging the possibility of Allah granting this wish of mine, I have never tired of asking Him, constantly asking for this one wish of mine. I now have hope, which I previously did not have, and should I be granted my wish, I will have a greater purpose to live for. Hope is something that keeps you from falling into depression and gives you the energy to get back up and recover from falls. Hope is something that gives you the patience and strength to wait even a lifetime to have your supplication answered.
Do not underestimate the ability of Allah in granting/bestowing upon you His bounties. For as long as your dua is legitimate and conforms with the Islamic teachings, there is no reason why your supplication is impossible to be answered.

Aoa. Are u still making dua for it?? Im in deep depression cuz of it..i sleep for 12 hrs don't leave my room hardly eat anything..it seems things just keep taking the wrong turns and i keep making the wrong decisions

iammuslim98
02-19-2022, 05:59 AM
Oh sister, got ya! I had similar situation with hamd, for maybe few weeks, but alhamdulillah I solved that problem. It's about focus. Takes time. Little by little, step by step. Can you read duas? Can you write any dua somewhere? If you can, do it. Any dua. Shortest possible. Allahhumagfirli is short dua as well. If you want, we can go in PP
Aoa. What do you mean writing a dua down

Ascended_Being
02-19-2022, 06:54 AM
I still supplicate for my wish, and you know what, I have never despaired since. I have near certain-level hope that my supplication will be answered one day, and that hope drives me.

You should make dua for something that is legitimate in your case, and if it is, ask for a sign (perhaps in your dream) that will make you steadfast and keep your faith up.

Ascended_Being
02-19-2022, 06:57 AM
I suffered from heavy addiction in the past, went through satanic thoughts so such an extent that I would believe in the morning, and disbelieve in the evening (and vice versa).

Eventually, all that changed when I had a personal experience. But I tried to fight it and that is why I go what I got in the end.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MuslimNoFap...m_source=share

iammuslim98
02-19-2022, 07:35 AM
Aoa..i dont think it is a Haram dua.. i am not asking Allah to bring someone back from the dead. But i am asking for something that has never happened in our society.

Ascended_Being
02-19-2022, 10:38 AM
Salaam. No matter how rare the dua may be, remember that prophet Suleiman AS asked for something that no other man was granted before him, and no man will be granted after him. Allah answered his dua because of his hope and conviction, and not just because he was a prophet

Zakariya AS asked for a child at a very old age, and he was granted it, not just because he was a prophet.

Yes, we are not prophets like them, and this only means that our supplications will have a delay in getting answered, nothing more.

Keep pushing forward, and Allah will make a way out for you from your depression

Ascended_Being
02-19-2022, 10:53 AM
Are you depressed because your dua is not yet answered, or are you depressed because of something else.

If its the former, then know that what I seek from Allah no other being has probably asked Him of or granted, yet I have hope in Him and the rarity of my supplication has never caused me to be depressed. Instead it gives me motivation to live my life as best as I can adhering to the laws of Allah.

iammuslim98
02-20-2022, 08:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SuRvIvOr123
Are you depressed because your dua is not yet answered, or are you depressed because of something else.

If its the former, then know that what I seek from Allah no other being has probably asked Him of or granted, yet I have hope in Him and the rarity of my supplication has never caused me to be depressed. Instead it gives me motivation to live my life as best as I can adhering to the laws of Allah.

Aoa i believe it is a combination of both.

Ascended_Being
02-20-2022, 10:41 AM
Salam.
In that case, you need to find the hope that will give you relief from the thing that is causing you depression. And in your case that hope can only be a sign from Allah that perhaps He may answer your supplication (in the form of a dream or real life events manifesting).

So long as you keep striving hard, there is always going to be light at the end of the tunnel.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.