/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help on Ibn Kathir commentary ayat 4:157

raracukcam
02-15-2022, 04:04 AM
Assalaumaiakum,

In the quran, it stated very clearly that,
Quran 4:157 Sahih International And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah ." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain.
But my christian friend ask me on Ibn Kathir commentary below, where did Ibn Kathir get his side of story?
https://quran.com/4:155/tafsirs/169 he said to his companions, "Who volunteers to be made to look like me, for which he will be my companion in Paradise" A young man volunteered, but `Isa thought that he was too young. He asked the question a second and third time, each time the young man volunteering, prompting `Isa to say, "Well then, you will be that man." Allah made the young man look exactly like `Isa, while a hole opened in the roof of the house, and `Isa was made to sleep and ascended to heaven while asleep.
I cannot find any reference to support this claim, and no where in any hadeeth from our beloved prophet pbuh.

Please guide me. Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ümit
02-16-2022, 06:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by raracukcam
Assalaumaiakum,

In the quran, it stated very clearly that,

But my christian friend ask me on Ibn Kathir commentary below, where did Ibn Kathir get his side of story?

I cannot find any reference to support this claim, and no where in any hadeeth from our beloved prophet pbuh.

Please guide me. Thanks.
The answer to that question can be found on the same page you mentioned:
https://quran.com/4:155/tafsirs/169
Ibn Kathir mentioned that this came from a report of ibn Abbas.

In Tafseer ibn Kathir (4/337), commenting on this report: This is a saheeh isnaad going back to Ibn ‘Abbaas. Similarly it was narrated from more than one of the salaf that he said to them: “Which of you will be made to look like me and be killed in my stead, and he will be my companion in Paradise?”

raracukcam
02-25-2022, 04:33 AM
Assalamualaikum,

Ok got it, from Ibn Abbass. Is that the only source? From who Ibn Abbass get his source then?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.