/* */

PDA

View Full Version : *** Feeding the people and giving Salaam to all ***

Zaheer A Khan
02-20-2022, 06:14 AM
Bismillaah:

Hamzah ibn Suhayb said:

Suhayb Al Rumi رضي الله عنه used to have the kunya 'Abu Yahya', and say that he is an Arab and used to give out a lot of food to people. Umar رضي الله عنه said to him, “O Suhayb! Why is that you are given the kunya “Abu Yahya” while you don’t have a child, you say that you are an Arab, and you give out a lot of food to people while that is excess in wealth?” Suhayb replied, “Without a doubt, the Prophet of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم gave me the kunya “Abu Yahya”. As for your statement about my lineage, I am a man from Namir ibn Qasit from the people of Mawsul but I was captured as a slave when I was a young boy and as a result I surely neglected my family (identity) and people. As for your statement about the food (that I give out), without a doubt the Prophet of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم used to say: “The best of you are those who give food to people and those who return the Salaam“, so that is what causes me to give out food to people.”

Takhreej:

{ Imam Ahmad in his Musnad and graded as Saheeh by Shaykh al Albaani رحمهم الله }

In another report:

The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said:

"Feed the people, and greet those whom you know and those whom you do not know."

Takhreej:

{ Imam Al Bukhari and Muslim in their Saheeh }

Al Hafidh Ibn Rajab Al Hanbali رحمه الله commented:

"The hadeeth makes the connection between feeding others and spreading salaam because this combines good actions in both word and deed, which is perfect good treatment (ihsaan). Indeed, this is the best thing that you can do in Islam after the obligatory duties."

{ Fath al Baari Sharh Saheeh Al Bukhari 1/43 }

Al Imam Al Sanoosi رحمه الله commented:

" What is meant by salaam is the greeting between people, which sows seeds of love and friendship in their hearts, as does giving food. There may be some weakness in the heart of one of them, which is dispelled when he is greeted, or there may be some hostility, which is turned to friendship by the greeting."

{ Ikmaal al Mu'allim 1/244 }

Al Hafidh Ibn Hajar رحمه الله commented:

"Do not single out anyone out of arrogance or to impress them, but do it to honour the symbols of Islam and to foster Islamic brotherhood."

{ Fath al Baari Sharh Saheeh Al Bukhari 1/56 }

*** And Allah عزوجل knows best ***

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.