/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Job as hairdresser

aya2080
03-29-2022, 10:45 PM
I want to know if its true that we women are not allowed to study for becoming a hairdresser and beautician to work in future. The reason is that I just converted to muslim a few years ago. My husband was informing me that I can not become a hairdresser at all due to the Quran. Please advise me, thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supernova
03-30-2022, 08:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aya2080
I want to know if its true that we women are not allowed to study for becoming a hairdresser and beautician to work in future. The reason is that I just converted to muslim a few years ago. My husband was informing me that I can not become a hairdresser at all due to the Quran. Please advise me, thank you.
Salaams

This is a topic that might have a difference of opinion. The confusion is between two issues

a) Is the actual job Haraam
b) Effect of the job that is out of your hands.

When people mix these two issues up - they end off in a tailspin and practically any job in the world has the potential to be Haraam. I will site an example.

Case 1 :
Selling Alcohol is Haraam. The effects of people purchasing Alcohol is negative and Haraam.
In this case one cannot sell Alcohol because it fails on both conditions.

Case 2:
A person sells knives. The same knife can be used to cut meat and yet the same knife can be used to commit murder.
Is selling knives Halaal ? Yes it is: although the effect of that sale can go both ways.
What a person (the customer) does after purchasing the knife has nothing to do with you selling the knife because selling the knife is Halaal.

In same way - My personal take here would be :

Are you cutting the hair of men and running yours hands in their hair etc (If yes, then its Haraam)
Are you cutting the hair and doing beauty treatments for ladies only (If yes, then the actual skill you displaying is Halaal)

Are they walking out after your services covering themselves in Hijab, niqab etc ? That becomes a non-issue for you as its their issue with Allah SWT. You skill set doesn't become Haraam on their actions. Your skill set in essence is Halaal.

*Please speak to an Aalim/a for further clarification.

*charisma*
03-30-2022, 09:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aya2080
Assalamu Alaikum,

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you're only servicing women and the services you have are not haram. For example, hair removal (of private areas or facial regions), tattooing, services with fake hair (wigs, extensions, eyelashes), etc are all considered haram in islam, and you shouldn't provide those services.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.