/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Correct method of praying Witr and Witr qadha

SEB
05-05-2022, 04:53 AM
I wanted some guidance on the correct way to pray Witr and Witr qadha.

Firstly, I am aware there are a number of ways to pray Witr. If I was to pray 3 rakat Witr with 2 rakat followed by a tasleem and then 1 rakat on its own, would I read the Durood Ibrahim after the Tashahhud before doing tasleem for the second rakat?

Secondly, I am making up prayers I have missed. For Witr qadha, I have read that Witr qadha prayed during the day should be prayed with an even number of rakat instead of an odd number. What if I am praying the qadha at night? Would it still be an odd number of rakat?

Any evidence or hadith you can give for the above 2 questions would be very helpful.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
05-05-2022, 11:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SEB
I wanted some guidance on the correct way to pray Witr and Witr qadha.

Firstly, I am aware there are a number of ways to pray Witr. If I was to pray 3 rakat Witr with 2 rakat followed by a tasleem and then 1 rakat on its own, would I read the Durood Ibrahim after the Tashahhud before doing tasleem for the second rakat?

Secondly, I am making up prayers I have missed. For Witr qadha, I have read that Witr qadha prayed during the day should be prayed with an even number of rakat instead of an odd number. What if I am praying the qadha at night? Would it still be an odd number of rakat?

Any evidence or hadith you can give for the above 2 questions would be very helpful.
Asalaamu Alaikum,

With regards to any questions or queries regarding fiqh matters then you should refer to the Madhab you follow or Mujtahid Scholar/s you trust and follow in Fiqh matters. However I can give you some general information. The method of Witr prayer you have quoted is prayed with durood Ibraheem before the tasleem in the second rakaat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUh2-zJ4Nrw

With regards to making up for a missed Witr prayer then it is made up as an even number on the day after before Dhuhr begins as 2 rakaat + 2 rakaat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIGxSCZf2AU

However according to this method there is no making up for it after Dhuhr as it is only in the Hanafi Madhab that the Witr prayer is considered as compulsory (waajib) and in the other Madhabs like the one you have quoted it is only considered as a highly emphasised Sunnah. According to the Hanafi Madhab the Witr prayer can be made up at anytime as 3 rakaats with Dua e Qunoot in the third rakaat as normal.

And Allah knows best in all matters.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.