/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How does one stop the habit of singing when excited?

SintoDinto
10-20-2022, 05:55 PM
I have ADHD and asperger's, and as a result, (probably just due to the ADHD) I get mood swings, and get really happy and excited at times and celebrate really loudly when alone or just when my mother's in the house, and I sing loudly, and its become an addicting habit, and i know singing is haram. ibn masud (ra) said "singing increases hypocrisy just as water makes vegetation grow". but im so full of energy, especially right now, now that i have a good halal job offer, and lost a lot of weight, and other things which im not going to get into.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
bintabdulnoor
10-26-2022, 06:23 PM
If music is not involved and the song doesn't contain any haram or obscene things, singing is permissible.

For more information: https://www.islamweb.net/en/fatwa/29...-without-music

An-Nawawi

said in his commentary on Muslim: “The Arabs call reciting poetry in a high voice (Inshaad) singing, but it is not included in the singing about which there is a difference of opinion. It is in fact permissible. The Companions considered the singing of the Arabs, which is nothing more than reciting and chanting, to be permissible, and they permitted driving camels by chanting, and did so in the presence of the Prophet, sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam. All this is evidence that this kind of singing and anything that is relevantly similar to it is permissible, and (that) the like of it is not forbidden.”

muslimx
11-08-2022, 08:11 PM
The scholars differ on this. Some are in the opinion that singing is alright, music is not.
While the strictest opinion is singing is alright only

I feel I have ADHD, I wasnt diagnosed ever, but I also am from a third world country where mental illness isnt a thing people think about. I myself found out something like ADHD existed from online friends and I have found I have a lot of symptoms, now it doesnt really matter whether I have ADHD or not, it doesnt change me being randomly hyper, or having attention problems, or memory problems etc etc.

Anyhow my point is, I do similar things like you as I cant stand absolute silence, my mind is always running as long as I am awake. I used to listen to music growing up and used to always have earphones in my ears. When I became practicing it turned into just listening to some Nasheeds, now after several years I no longer sing but find myself randomly talking loudly as if I am talking to an audience (i became a youtuber so thats where practicing loudly came from).

I am surrounded by lots of sound triggers right now, like a loud keyboard (blue mechanical switch) which never stops bc I am always using the keyboard most of the time in my day anyway.
Also have a few of fidget toys for when I am away from my pc that makes sounds that I can hear when I fidget with them.

Plus ADHD itself is a disorder and as much I dont think general rules apply to people with this mental illness. However for concrete conclusions, its better to consult knowledgeable ones i.e. scholars.

btw whats your experience with concentration

SintoDinto
11-11-2022, 09:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muslimx
The scholars differ on this. Some are in the opinion that singing is alright, music is not.
While the strictest opinion is singing is alright only

I feel I have ADHD, I wasnt diagnosed ever, but I also am from a third world country where mental illness isnt a thing people think about. I myself found out something like ADHD existed from online friends and I have found I have a lot of symptoms, now it doesnt really matter whether I have ADHD or not, it doesnt change me being randomly hyper, or having attention problems, or memory problems etc etc.

Anyhow my point is, I do similar things like you as I cant stand absolute silence, my mind is always running as long as I am awake. I used to listen to music growing up and used to always have earphones in my ears. When I became practicing it turned into just listening to some Nasheeds, now after several years I no longer sing but find myself randomly talking loudly as if I am talking to an audience (i became a youtuber so thats where practicing loudly came from).

I am surrounded by lots of sound triggers right now, like a loud keyboard (blue mechanical switch) which never stops bc I am always using the keyboard most of the time in my day anyway.
Also have a few of fidget toys for when I am away from my pc that makes sounds that I can hear when I fidget with them.

Plus ADHD itself is a disorder and as much I dont think general rules apply to people with this mental illness. However for concrete conclusions, its better to consult knowledgeable ones i.e. scholars.

btw whats your experience with concentration
I find I can't stay focused for too long usually, however, I find I have an "all or nothing" focus which made it hard to study back when I was in school. My therapist explains that is a hunter brain, but I find his explanation rather based on evolution, but it may be possible because there still are hunters and I may accidentally be hardwired for hunting (ie ""deer deer deer "is that a sound!" Oh nevermind move on! Deer deer deer")

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.